What a dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

umich2010

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
Hello everyone,

I have somewhat of a difficult decision to make in the near future. I am planning a build in which i would like to implement 4 gigs of RAM, and i know Vista64 is the only way to use all 4 gigs. However, i can get Vista 32 bit, fully licensed, for $18.87(!!) from my school computer store(The manager claims they only carry 32bit). I also know someone who works for Microsoft and can definitely get both versions for $45. Both are really good prices for Vista Ultimate, and since I plan to primarily use my computer for gaming, I was leaning towards paying the $45 to be able for 64 bit.

So my question is what do you guys think? Should I go 32bit and drop to 2 gigs of ram, should i stick with the 4 gigs in 32, or should I go all out and get vista64 and be able to use all 4 gigs+possibly more in the future?

Just for reference, here is my planned build:
q6600(may overclock slightly)
MSI GeForce 8800gt
Corsair 550VX psu
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L mobo
I am between crucial ballistix 2x1gb and Patriot Viper 2x2gb both ddr2 800

Thanks a lot,
Tim

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
absolutely get vista64. With a new build its the only way to go.
get the 2x2 chips so you can go to 8 gigs at a later date if you want. ram is cheap.
When installing vista64 just have one ram stick in. do all the updates and then put the second stick in and your good to go.

Calling MS for the $10 64 bit upgrade only works with retail discs.

Agree. Bite the bullet now and pay the extra. You'll be happy you did down the road when the financial pinch is forgotten and you can go up to 8 gigs RAM.

umich2010

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008

You don't think it would be a retail disk if it came from the computer store? Are you saying retail vs. OEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS