samdhapte

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Hi all,
Need your help to solve my pc related problem :)

I have a WinXP pro SP2 machine. The confgn is 1.5Ghz, 128MB DDR, motherboard 845GL, 2 HDD (1 master- 40GB, 1 Slave - 250 GB), DVD writer, ethernet card (recently added).

The moment I connected the ethernet card and started the machine, it hanged. I restarted it and then i was able to install drivers and work.
After that day whenever i start the machine it either hangs on the WinXP logo screen or sometimes allows me to login and hangs after 2 min.

So far tried following things, with no success:
1. I removed the card and its drivers, but still the problem persists.
2. I reinstalled XP and formatted my C drive during installation.(The XP cd had the option to format and then install)
3. Used the Repair XP option several times.

Following errors are noted in event logs after rebooting my home pc after it is hanged.
These errors come one after the other is following sequence:
1. An error was detected on device Disk1 during paging operation.
2. Dependent assembly Microsoft VC80.MFCLOC could not be found & last error was . The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.
3. Resolve partial assembly failed for Microsoft VC80.MFCLOC. Reference error messaged. The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.
4. Generate Activation context failed for C:\Windows\WinSXS\X86_Microsft VC80.MFC_lfc8b3b9alel8e3b_8.0.50727.762_x_ww_3bf8fa05\MFC80V.dll. Reference error message. The operation completed successfully.

Yesterday I installed 98 and then installed XP....so far it is working alright, but now another issue is :-
on my second Harddisk (Disk1 ie 250GB) there are some movies, when I play any movie it displays video of some other movie and the subtitile shown is of some other movie :(

Friends could you please help me to resolve both the problems

Thanks in advance.
Your help and time is appreciated a lot.

-$am

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Sounds like some kind of disk corruption. I know my XP install recently started doing the same thing. Hanging on the XP screen for a really long time with nothing but Disk0 or Disk1 errors as the problem.

Maybe try a better format of the HD (don't use the NTFS(Quick) option) or try some 3rd party format utility. There is a possibility that it is RAM, but I would assume that you would BSOD somewhere after the hangs. Maybe check voltages, etc. in BIOS to make sure nothing has changed.

samdhapte

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Hi rgeist554,

I formatted my harddisk and tried installing winxp, however while installation it displayed "Setup is starting Windows" which never started :(. The computer halted there for infinite time.

Another problem to overcome :(

Please help me friends.

$am