Sign in with
Your question
Closed

any luck with vista sp1 update?

Last response: in Windows Vista
March 18, 2008 10:00:34 PM

...'cause i sure haven't

have spent the last hour or so researching error code 80073712

and all of the "fixes", even the ones i could understand through all the jargon, are useless and don't help

anyone have a similar experience and worked through it?

thanks in advance

More about : luck vista sp1 update

March 18, 2008 11:23:02 PM

Interesting...

I'm out of town, so let's hope for the wife's sake that everything goes fine because I won't be home until Friday to fix it!

So did it not even install for you, or are you getting errors after the install?
March 18, 2008 11:26:18 PM

I just installed it, seems to work fine for me. Nothing unsual so far. Vista Business 32 bit edition.
Related resources
March 18, 2008 11:53:45 PM

Sorry you're having problems. I installed SP1 on a Home Premium machine this afternoon. No hiccups. All software is running fine - so far.
March 19, 2008 12:46:32 AM

yeah, all other updates since i installed vista this summer have been fine.
this is a first for me but it seems to be pretty widespread after googling it
i hope there's a hotfix soon...

anyone seen any improvements with the pack (those that could download it), esp. in games?
March 19, 2008 1:41:18 AM

Try checking the Device Manager to see if there is unrecognized hardware.
The service pack reinstalls all hardware drivers.
March 19, 2008 11:50:23 AM

I uninstalled first my previous SP1 (refresh) and went fine. I tried to install SP1 from Windows Updates but could not see it, even after a reboot. So I downloaded the SP1 file instead and went fine that way.

So far so good, no problem.

Vista HP64bits & 4GB.
March 19, 2008 11:53:05 AM

I got mine through TechNet last month - Installed fine. Didn't like the Video driver I had installed (169.25), but I changed to the latest Beta one I got from nVidia and the problem went away. Else is normal.

March 19, 2008 9:57:07 PM

bdaley said:
Sorry you're having problems. I installed SP1 on a Home Premium machine this afternoon. No hiccups. All software is running fine - so far.

32 bit or 64? Also what graphics card does it have in it?
March 19, 2008 10:00:44 PM

i installed sp1 last night on vista ultimate 64bit with an 8800gt. no problems, or issues, everything seems to be running great. vista seems even more responsive than before. and a few games that experienced minor hiccups with vista 64 are running smoothly now. i'm happy with it...
March 19, 2008 10:02:59 PM

pinaplex said:
i installed sp1 last night on vista ultimate 64bit with an 8800gt. no problems, or issues, everything seems to be running great. vista seems even more responsive than before. and a few games that experienced minor hiccups with vista 64 are running smoothly now. i'm happy with it...

Well, may the force be with you! :) 
March 19, 2008 10:05:18 PM

Installed it about an hour ago, now installing office 2007.

SP size 122M ish Ultimate64 8800GT.

Haven't tested COH yet, but will after install.
March 20, 2008 10:04:59 AM

where do you download the SP1? i cant find a link for it anywhere. MS download center keeps saying SP1 will come out mid may.
March 20, 2008 11:19:04 AM

You should be able to select it through Windows Update now. Mid-May is when users will get it automatically.
March 20, 2008 12:00:05 PM

I installed it on Ultimate 64 with no problems. Smooth sailing, and didn't even take very long. Seems a bit zippier, but I always liked Vista and never really had any problems using 4 gigs.

I heard sp1 puts Vista much closer to XP in speed. I wonder what all the "XP is faster" Vista haters will use now?

Will THG do some tests to see if it actually made Vista closer in speed to XP? I would like to see this.
March 20, 2008 1:29:52 PM

Quote:
Will THG do some tests to see if it actually made Vista closer in speed to XP? I would like to see this.

+1
March 20, 2008 2:14:54 PM

ImajorI said:

But the real question is if it will be a quality read or something closer to the CPU cooler or 8G ram aticles. I know where my money's going :p 

*Looking forward to the benchmarks
March 20, 2008 2:34:23 PM

Well I am downloading SP1 through Windows update now.... :sweat:  :sweat: 
March 20, 2008 3:29:29 PM

Seems good so far. I kepp getting kicked from CoD 4 when I play online tho! I have Vista ultimate 32bit. I also show 4g of ram now as opposed to 2.75g before SP1. Anyone know if it's configured to use all 4gigs now?
March 20, 2008 4:22:22 PM

That is a Display Change Only. The 32 bit Windows OS limitation remains. It is merely reporting what is installed, instead of what it's able to use.
March 20, 2008 5:02:15 PM

No luck with the update....for me....I actually got pissed and reinstalled xp...it screams compared to vista....I think I'm going to wait a good long while before trying vista again....it looks good has great features but I just can't stand the blue screen of death and poor drivers...maybe next year things will get worked out
March 20, 2008 6:46:29 PM

Success for me! :bounce:  :bounce: 

Vista Home Premium 32 bit. No problems so far... Seems better.. Gaming is about the same, maybe a little bit faster...

Will post more later....

Phew.....
March 20, 2008 9:06:47 PM

Installed without a hitch. Performence seems to be about the same..maybe a little slower but I heard that is because of something called Superfetch or something like that....

Games seem to be about the same... The Crysis demo GPU test seems to have gained about 2-5 FPS.... The Age Of Empires 3 demo is about the same... I didn't try Flight Sim X yet...

Internet explorer seems to move a little quicker than before. DVD's seem sharper than before.

Hmmm... I'll keep watching :heink:  . But for now it seems good :) 

The force was with me...
~Physx7
March 21, 2008 11:10:27 AM

Quote:
maybe a little slower but I heard that is because of something called Superfetch or something like that....

Superfetch identifies commonly use programs and pre-loads the startup files into memory for faster launching. Over time it learns what you use, and when, and alters it's choices based on your habits. So it stops pre-loading programs you dont' use and makes sure the ones you do use are cached at the times/days it sees you use them.

SP1 resets Superfetch to the defaults. It will take a little time for it to re-learn your habits.
March 21, 2008 1:40:30 PM

Scotteq said:
Quote:
maybe a little slower but I heard that is because of something called Superfetch or something like that....

Superfetch identifies commonly use programs and pre-loads the startup files into memory for faster launching. Over time it learns what you use, and when, and alters it's choices based on your habits. So it stops pre-loading programs you dont' use and makes sure the ones you do use are cached at the times/days it sees you use them.

SP1 resets Superfetch to the defaults. It will take a little time for it to re-learn your habits.

Yeah thats it. Thanks Sqotteq!
!