any luck with vista sp1 update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mw383

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
...'cause i sure haven't

have spent the last hour or so researching error code 80073712

and all of the "fixes", even the ones i could understand through all the jargon, are useless and don't help

anyone have a similar experience and worked through it?

thanks in advance

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Interesting...

I'm out of town, so let's hope for the wife's sake that everything goes fine because I won't be home until Friday to fix it!

So did it not even install for you, or are you getting errors after the install?

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry you're having problems. I installed SP1 on a Home Premium machine this afternoon. No hiccups. All software is running fine - so far.

mw383

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
yeah, all other updates since i installed vista this summer have been fine.
this is a first for me but it seems to be pretty widespread after googling it
i hope there's a hotfix soon...

anyone seen any improvements with the pack (those that could download it), esp. in games?

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Just found this link for those of you having the problem....might be worth a shot.

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-vista/fix-for-vista-sp1-install-error-80073712-through-windows-update/

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
I uninstalled first my previous SP1 (refresh) and went fine. I tried to install SP1 from Windows Updates but could not see it, even after a reboot. So I downloaded the SP1 file instead and went fine that way.

So far so good, no problem.

Vista HP64bits & 4GB.

I got mine through TechNet last month - Installed fine. Didn't like the Video driver I had installed (169.25), but I changed to the latest Beta one I got from nVidia and the problem went away. Else is normal.

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007

32 bit or 64? Also what graphics card does it have in it?

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
i installed sp1 last night on vista ultimate 64bit with an 8800gt. no problems, or issues, everything seems to be running great. vista seems even more responsive than before. and a few games that experienced minor hiccups with vista 64 are running smoothly now. i'm happy with it...

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007

Well, may the force be with you! :)

vangvace

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Installed it about an hour ago, now installing office 2007.

SP size 122M ish Ultimate64 8800GT.

Haven't tested COH yet, but will after install.

pawn

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
where do you download the SP1? i cant find a link for it anywhere. MS download center keeps saying SP1 will come out mid may.

ImajorI

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
I installed it on Ultimate 64 with no problems. Smooth sailing, and didn't even take very long. Seems a bit zippier, but I always liked Vista and never really had any problems using 4 gigs.

I heard sp1 puts Vista much closer to XP in speed. I wonder what all the "XP is faster" Vista haters will use now?

Will THG do some tests to see if it actually made Vista closer in speed to XP? I would like to see this.

vangvace

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006

But the real question is if it will be a quality read or something closer to the CPU cooler or 8G ram aticles. I know where my money's going :p

*Looking forward to the benchmarks

convo

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Seems good so far. I kepp getting kicked from CoD 4 when I play online tho! I have Vista ultimate 32bit. I also show 4g of ram now as opposed to 2.75g before SP1. Anyone know if it's configured to use all 4gigs now?

jackieboy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
No luck with the update....for me....I actually got pissed and reinstalled xp...it screams compared to vista....I think I'm going to wait a good long while before trying vista again....it looks good has great features but I just can't stand the blue screen of death and poor drivers...maybe next year things will get worked out

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Success for me! :bounce: :bounce:

Vista Home Premium 32 bit. No problems so far... Seems better.. Gaming is about the same, maybe a little bit faster...

Will post more later....

Phew.....

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Installed without a hitch. Performence seems to be about the same..maybe a little slower but I heard that is because of something called Superfetch or something like that....

Games seem to be about the same... The Crysis demo GPU test seems to have gained about 2-5 FPS.... The Age Of Empires 3 demo is about the same... I didn't try Flight Sim X yet...

Internet explorer seems to move a little quicker than before. DVD's seem sharper than before.

Hmmm... I'll keep watching :heink: . But for now it seems good :)

The force was with me...
~Physx7

maybe a little slower but I heard that is because of something called Superfetch or something like that....

Superfetch identifies commonly use programs and pre-loads the startup files into memory for faster launching. Over time it learns what you use, and when, and alters it's choices based on your habits. So it stops pre-loading programs you dont' use and makes sure the ones you do use are cached at the times/days it sees you use them.

SP1 resets Superfetch to the defaults. It will take a little time for it to re-learn your habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.