Sign in with
Your question

8800 vs. 2900 Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 14, 2007 5:36:05 PM

On paper the 2900 is the superior card... more stream processing units... more memory bandwidth... higher clock speed... and even with all of that, it's coming up short in the benchmarks.

How is that possible? Anyone?

More about : 8800 2900 question

May 14, 2007 5:41:07 PM

Some say it's the drivers.
Related resources
May 14, 2007 5:51:58 PM

Im gonna hijack your post.. but

I have another question...

whats the Garantee of these R600 cards?
cause been searching around on newegg, saphire's site, and zipzomfly and noone has garantee information o_O
May 14, 2007 6:01:24 PM

Quote:
On paper the 2900 is the superior card... more stream processing units... more memory bandwidth... higher clock speed... and even with all of that, it's coming up short in the benchmarks.

How is that possible? Anyone?

Because nVIDIA Rocks!
Hehe...Just kidding! :tongue:
I`m interested in the answer too!
I think The Great Ape could answer this!
I`m waiting for his review... 8)
Dam it! Where are you TGGA?
May 14, 2007 6:12:57 PM

Quote:

cause been searching around on newegg, saphire's site, and zipzomfly and noone has garantee information o_O

I believe in many countries, hijacking is a crime punishable by death.
May 14, 2007 6:15:40 PM

Quote:

I believe in many countries, hijacking is a crime punishable by death.

unfortunately for you,these laws apply only to HUMANS :p 
not "forum posts" ;) 

and sadly, I didnt get the answer I wanted... D: :?
May 14, 2007 6:20:34 PM

NVidia's won this battle with brute force. They clock faster than ATI, and push 3 operations per clock, as opposed to ATI's two. ATI has more stream processors, but NVidia is just too fast....
May 14, 2007 6:29:42 PM

An 8800 GTX Ultra is clocked at 612 MHz with a 2900 XT running at 743 MHz... so it's not a clock speed issue.

If what you say about the 3 operations per clock vs. 2 is true, well that makes sense (at least it does in my oversimplified way of thinking) ... I think AMD found itself in this position with the X2 when it was dominating the Pentium 4s from way back when... but if that really is the case, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!? It's not like the 8800 is the newer card.
May 14, 2007 6:30:43 PM

i guess ATI is not doing well balanced hardware, mucho bandwith but not enough texture fillrate to fill it and not enough horsepower to use it, nVidia engineers made well their work and they got the best posible balanced cards with amazing performance
May 14, 2007 6:33:27 PM

Quote:
An 8800 GTX Ultra is clocked at 612 MHz with a 2900 XT running at 743 MHz... so it's not a clock speed issue.

the shaders in ATI's card are at the same speed of the core, while the shaders in the 8800 are WAY FASTER ( 1.2 Ghz ? )
May 14, 2007 6:35:18 PM

ati has more (hate the term but...) future proofed the card. they have incoorporated tesselation and have optimised one form of shader over another meaning that future games (that support these) will run better on the the xt

Plus Nvidia released a monster
May 14, 2007 6:54:37 PM

Quote:

HD2900XT
May 14, 2007 7:03:17 PM

Quote:

If what you say about the 3 operations per clock vs. 2 is true, well that makes sense (at least it does in my oversimplified way of thinking) ... I think AMD found itself in this position with the X2 when it was dominating the Pentium 4s from way back when... but if that really is the case, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!? It's not like the 8800 is the newer card.
But the 8800Ultra's Shaders run at 1.5GHz, a little over 2x the speed as the HD 2900XT.
May 14, 2007 7:08:29 PM

Quote:
ati has more (hate the term but...) future proofed the card. they have incoorporated tesselation and have optimised one form of shader over another meaning that future games (that support these) will run better on the the xt

Plus Nvidia released a monster

It sounds like PS3, future proof is good but it is a fast and competitive industry, nothing is really future proof. By the way, I don't like high power consumption with 2900, it would makes my case feel like radiator.
May 14, 2007 7:20:32 PM

Who cares that the Ati is 'losing', it is like a million times cheaper and who cares if it falls a few frames short, for that price you are not paying to care, in fact they should make you sign a paper preventing you from being allowed to care, This is one of the best things that has ever happened to the pc world and it is one of the cheapest too (except newegg upped their price to get rid of their crappy g5's) And for the price of 1 8800 ultra you get 2( yes 2) of these babies, and then you have the fastest rig on the planet, it is like 2 Ferraris for the price of one crappy green muscle car, bimbo excluded. I am AMAZED, amd and Ati deserve this win. I am also very pleased that they waited cause them falling behind benefits all of us. Now you ex redcoats who are dressed up in green must feel quite dumb for switching colour. Turncoats...

:edit:

AAAAAW *CRAP*

I just saw the 2 power connectors...

Well it is cool cause they are 'v12' engined.
May 14, 2007 7:29:01 PM

Are you smoking crack? Do you not realize that a 640 MB 8800 GTS is cheaper than that 2900 XT that just made you cream in your pants? Well, clean that mess up, read up on the numbers, compare the prices and then come back and tell us something!
May 14, 2007 7:40:48 PM

Quote:
Who cares that the Ati is 'losing', it is like a million times cheaper and who cares if it falls a few frames short, for that price you are not paying to care, in fact they should make you sign a paper preventing you from being allowed to care, This is one of the best things that has ever happened to the pc world and it is one of the cheapest too (except newegg upped their price to get rid of their crappy g5's) And for the price of 1 8800 ultra you get 2( yes 2) of these babies, and then you have the fastest rig on the planet, it is like 2 Ferraris for the price of one crappy green muscle car, bimbo excluded. I am AMAZED, amd and Ati deserve this win. I am also very pleased that they waited cause them falling behind benefits all of us. Now you ex redcoats who are dressed up in green must feel quite dumb for switching colour. Turncoats...

:edit:

AAAAAW *CRAP*

I just saw the 2 power connectors...

Well it is cool cause they are 'v12' engined.
The 8800Ultra/GTX was often able to keep up with the two HD 2900XTs in Crossfire. :lol: 
May 14, 2007 7:41:38 PM

Can that brilliantly made piece of american muscle do physics processing? Nope not as far as i know face it the ati is bloody good value and this is only the xt, and i know that the ram can't make such a massive difference but still this is not a GPU, this a an MPPU, a multi purpose processing unit, not a huge stick of silicone with shit welded to it like an nvidia, It is well designed, not just a bunch of ram and a die shoved into a container of solder that has been shaken violently until it all sticks together. THese are better quality, AND they are A T I. I know i am being a fanboi, but hey, i am pleased that they are out and are not nvidia, enough said. If ATI dies do you think nvidia will try as hard? So support the one who is dying or he won't be here tomorrow to fight. You don't need to buy one but i will. It does not have to be faster or better ask bill gates(i don't like him...) and mr (blow)Jobbs.

Rabidpeanut: True Neutral Viral Druid. Support them or they won't be here to support. And who the HELL would buy a Low end nvidia when they would have an ATI. And the likely driver problems will be sorted out eventually and then what will you say if these cards are whipping the shit out of the 8800 Ultra? I am not saying that it will happen but it, IF. and then I can have your physics too, while you sit in a nice static environment that looks like plastic cause open gl was involved.

Anyway when this 'MASSIVE' speed difference actually matters these two cards will be obsolete. Get the one you want, but when yours is 1 frame faster than the ati on Quake 6 no one will care that you can get 20frames and an ati can only get 19. The horror.
May 14, 2007 7:47:52 PM

You sure your name isn't 'Retarded'peanut?
May 14, 2007 7:55:27 PM

You really are S T U P I D. Please don't make any more posts.
May 14, 2007 8:16:00 PM

Quote:

I dunno about that. As a software developer I try very hard to avoid using non-portable features because they would limit my target audience a lot.

What if Crysis developers decide to avoid anything supported by ATI but not by nVidia simply because they want to sell the game to nVidia owners too and they don't want to write two different sets of code, one for ATI and one for nVidia?

I thought that was what DirectX was all about in fact, a standard for developers to rely on and hiding all the specific aspects of the cards. Did nVidia skip some parts of the standard and leave them for some future cards? Or did ATI go ahead and add non-standard features? Either way somebody screwed up...
May 14, 2007 8:16:35 PM

The fact that they released new drivers a week or two ago, and that brought %5 to %10, boost to the cards (maybe it was just 5), Plus the fact that on xp the crossfire ran on doom3 and not Oblivion or F.E.A.R., makes me believe the drivers are not near were they need to be and are crippling the card.

Side note: This may also be because the card is running the drivers not the CPU.
May 14, 2007 8:48:44 PM

Hi, I want to thank AMD/ATI for screwing me over I have waited so long for this crap you call the 2900 XT to replace my 1900 XT. After so long a wait more than half a year they come up with this not even with good drivers whats wrong with you damn good thing I got into the hype of the g8 I bought these babies the week they came out I dont really know why I complain but I am disappointed with AMD/ATI they say its made for the DX10 but what about the g9? The g9 is probably being finished as we speak, no point in going ATI right now since the g8 has cut its prices down unless you are retarded and want to spend the extra 110.00 dollars almost the same performance and a bigger noisier and non efficioent peice of junk like the 2900 XT. As of this day I am no longer a fanboi of ATI I will know go to ebay and buy a 8800 GTS sticker badge and place it on my forehead proudly. lol
May 14, 2007 8:50:57 PM

Quote:

HD2900XT

external "garantee replacement plans" like newegg is not that I was asking, I mean manufacturer garantee.
May 14, 2007 8:51:43 PM

Thank you goldragon, Do any of you who insulted me know what a rotary engine is? No, because you have a rocket on the back of your hick mobile.

Now a rotary engine is an old engine design that everyone (being people like you who are short sighted) said was a dumb idea that would never catch on. Well the cool thing is that this 'rotary' engine is a better design than the one in your 'pickup'(another word for phukh34d car). Ask the RX-8, the car that is faster than your pickup and is made by a clever Japanese company. The engine is still a little ahead of it's time as the material for the seals should be diamond and thus it wears out as they use plain carbon. But the design of the engine is genius, unlike the one in your pickup. Now your pickup is the Nvidia, sure you can get a nice big tree on it, and you can go and shoot at racoons and black people in it, but you can't drift down a street in Tokyo at 100mph in it now can you?

This is a completely new design, it is a way of removing the fundamental problems with graphics processing just like the Wankel engine tries to do with engine design. It removes all the friction from a million moving parts, it is genius. ATI decided to fix what is wrong at the bottom of the rickety building instead of making the top of the building really aerodynamic and well balanced (which is *REALLY* dumb), broken foundations don't last too long. So when you nVidia lovers shove tonnes of push behind a square lump to make it go as fast as it can while you lose energy in your engine, to all the tiny little moving screw-ups, and all the air friction. Ati will be fine tuning their new and technically brilliant design into a masterpiece as opposed to adding a couple of extra cylinders to the engine. This card is a triumph of design, it is technically brilliant, it is revolutionary, And unless i am mistaken the G80 is NOT. Shovel some more coal into your furnace your frame rate is dropping.

I don't see your G80 ignoring your CPU cause it is a nagging waste of time.

This card is a better design, I bet there are engineers (oh wait they don't need them :adds another pipeline:)  at nVidia who are GREEN with envy (nice and green, just like their cards).
May 14, 2007 8:57:48 PM

Quote:
Hi, I want to thank AMD/ATI for screwing me over I have waited so long for this crap you call the 2900 XT to replace my 1900 XT. After so long a wait more than half a year they come up with this not even with good drivers whats wrong with you damn good thing I got into the hype of the g8 I bought these babies the week they came out I dont really know why I complain but I am disappointed with AMD/ATI they say its made for the DX10 but what about the g9? The g9 is probably being finished as we speak, no point in going ATI right now since the g8 has cut its prices down unless you are retarded and want to spend the extra 110.00 dollars almost the same performance and a bigger noisier and non efficioent peice of junk like the 2900 XT. As of this day I am no longer a fanboi of ATI I will know go to ebay and buy a 8800 GTS sticker badge and place it on my forehead proudly. lol

I dare you to get a tattoo with the 8800 GTS and post pictures here. :lol:  :lol: 
May 14, 2007 9:01:08 PM

Yup, how dare they work their asses off to come up with a new idea, ph|_|ck them. Assholes.

Dude, it is not a graphics card anymore. You are spending the 110 extra on a card that just about does not even need a cpu to run. This is NOT a GPU. And the next big ATi will not even look even remotely similar to this(no, not the XTX you muppet).

The thing that strikes me as odd is that no one seems to remember that ATI just merged with AMD, and STILL managed to bring out a revolution in graphics card design.
May 14, 2007 9:12:21 PM

Yeah... your Wankel analogy is great.

Quote:
In terms of fuel economy, Wankel engines are generally less efficient than four stroke piston engines of a similar power output

And just like the Wankel engine, the 2900 is generally less efficient in terms of power usage and heat than it's brutish nV counterparts. And really, thanks for bringing Wankel engines up... I couldn't have thought of a better analogy myself.

:lol: 
May 14, 2007 9:12:29 PM

nevermind, just noticed that zipzoomfly updated their pages, now they include garantee
I still dont know whats the diference betwen the Sapphire and the others from HIS and DIAMOND, they look almost identic, same cooler & stuff.
and sapphire sports a 2 year garantee, FOR LESS MONEY. so I wonder..
WHATS THE DIFERENCE? o-O
May 14, 2007 9:18:00 PM

Quote:
nevermind, just noticed that zipzoomfly updated their pages, now they include garantee
I still dont know whats the diference betwen the Sapphire and the others from HIS and DIAMOND, they look almost identic, same cooler & stuff.
WHATS THE DIFERENCE? o-O

I think you're just paying for different brands (or maybe the way zzf does pricing is on crack). Sapphire is generally a cheaper card manufacturer (like Leadtek or something), and I believe HIS is trying to hit hardcore gamers who are willing to spend the big bucks (hence their line of cards with special coolers, etc.).
May 14, 2007 9:19:34 PM

Quote:
WHATS THE DIFERENCE? o-O

I think you're just paying for different brands (or maybe the way zzf does pricing is on crack). Sapphire is generally a cheaper card manufacturer (like Leadtek or something), and I believe HIS is trying to hit hardcore gamers who are willing to spend the big bucks (hence their line of cards with special coolers, etc.).

but so far, this card , is IDENTIC o_O
same cooler as the default ATI's R600 o_O
just 30 US more on the price ( 20 on newegg)
May 14, 2007 9:25:54 PM

You weren't supposed to tell everyone...

DAMN YOU WIKIPEDIA !

Oh, one more thing about the 2900 is that cuase it queries your cpu less often, your cpu can suck (haha phuck you intel) and your games should run just fine.
May 14, 2007 9:28:37 PM

Haha Wikipedia strikes again!

... err wait... I mean DEAN strikes again! (aw hell, who am I kidding? I'm nothing without wikipedia!)

:lol: 
May 14, 2007 9:30:46 PM

Sapphire generally uses more dubious components for their stuff. So you might get scabbier ram or a crappier fan motor or something like that. They used to at least cause those old sapphire cards were C R A P. I think people used to buy them cause they were cheap and blue cause everything else was just green back then.

Back to the topic:

The only reason i can see for using an 8800 is if you use linux, and then i don't see ANY reason for using it at all, maybe to run warcraft really well maybe? Or unreal 2004 maybe? 2007 is a good reason but come on, get over yourselves and use an nlite, none of the crap you don't want and a file system that can be used by a mortal. And then use open office. I am all for open source, but game developers are not so where does that leave me?
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2007 9:38:08 PM

There are two weak point for the HD900, and that's in Texture unit arrangement and ROP layout. Both are weak for current and older games, where the design is underpowered on the back end.
This is similar to the GF7900 vs X1900 arrangement, where the X1K had more pixel horsepower than it needed at launch but grew into it's future games. The filtering issue isn't as bad for really old games that would involve more single texturing ops, but you would still be a little constrained by the ROP deficit. As games get more complicated and require more work on the front end and the P/V/G shader units you'd see the bottleneck somewhat eleviated, because whil still capped, the point holding it back from 90-110 fps would be further up the chain.

You can make the shader core extremely powerful, but if it's held back by the texture fill rate or the ROPs outputing to the screen then you're stuck with the max that thos cards can do. This should show up as higher minimum framerates (as longas those aren't host based [ie CPU/memory])

It looks like ATi/AMD decided to follow their expectation the shader power was continuing to get even more stressful in the future, and they ever further unbalanced the load compared to nV's design (the GF7800GTX-256 has a better fill-rate than the X1900XT (let alone the GF7900GTX), yet the performance is lower in most games like Oblivions because they are still pixel heavy in comparison in most situations (except indoors).

This seems to have been a grave overestimation of the requirement of current games that involve heavy use of OpenEXR style HDR as a desired feature.

The X1900 was able to benefit from it's design, whether or not the R600 will get the same beneficial games in it's focus period is questionable.
May 14, 2007 9:47:29 PM

Quote:
Sapphire generally uses more dubious components for their stuff. So you might get scabbier ram or a crappier fan motor or something like that. They used to at least cause those old sapphire cards were C R A P. I think people used to buy them cause they were cheap and blue cause everything else was just green back then.

so you recommend other brands than sapphire? I already heard bad stuff of HIS in forums and of ASUS but not from sapphire o_O
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2007 10:01:20 PM

Let me enlighten you, they all have issues, and you will find more reported issues from Sapphire than anyone else... main reason, they sell more than anyone else, heck any two combined probably.

The biggest problem with HIS from what I've found is customer service, the biggest problem reported with Sapphire is people having issues with cards sold to them as 128bti that were 64bit, etc, and Sapphire telling them to go back their dealers, who then say too bad so sad our description is wrong, but we gave you the product code you could look up yourself.

I don't think I've seen a single Mfr that is problem free.

My favourite is HIS for build quality, but Gigabyte gets my vote for customer service.

The thing is everyone can be stellar up to the point where they let you down. While I have had a great experience with Gigabyte amd know many people of similar experiences, my best friend in Toronto had 2 issues they dealt with poorly, a mobo sound issue and a graphics card issue, and I wouldn't have known it was the same company if I hadn't built the rig with him and told him who to contact.

The main thing with these similar platforms is look for the features you want (including warranty as a feature) and then look for the best price.
May 14, 2007 10:02:53 PM

Quote:

A bit harsh - anyway, the X1900XT is still a really nice card - just keep that until some actual DX10 games come out.
May 14, 2007 10:05:45 PM

Quote:
Let me enlighten you, they all have issues, and you will find more reported issues from Sapphire than anyone else... main reason, they sell more than anyone else, heck any two combined probably.

The biggest problem with HIS from what I've found is customer service, the biggest problem reported with Sapphire is people having issues with cards sold to them as 128bti that were 64bit, etc, and Sapphire telling them to go back their dealers, who then say too bad so sad our description is wrong, but we gave you the product code you could look up yourself.

My favourite is HIS for build quality, but Gigabyte gets my vote for customer service.

The thing is everyone can be stellar up to the point where they let you down. While I have had a great experience with Gigabyte amd know many people of similar experiences, my best friend in Toronto had 2 issues they dealt with poorly, a mobo sound issue and a graphics card issue, and I wouldn't have known it was the same company if I hadn't built the rig with him and told him who to contact.

The main thing with these similar platforms is look for the features you want (including warranty as a feature) and then look for the best price.

thx for the tip there!
funny that sapphire still says to sport 2 years of garantee but the rest only 1.....
Im still debating about that. :o 
never had problems with my sapphire x850XT tought..
May 14, 2007 10:09:57 PM

I actually have a Sapphire X850 (XT I think... can't remember actually) that I've had running in my secondary box for about 2 years that has worked flawlessly as well.

But, then again, I built a superbudget PC for a friend of mine using a "PCChips" mobo that has been running for 3+ years with 0 problems, so there is a luck factor to be considered. And anybody that bought an IBM Desktar 75GXP knows that you can buy in to a "quality" brand that will eventually let you down. :D 
May 14, 2007 10:15:55 PM

Rabid I considered you're wankel analogy and it is weak. I do see a correlation between the two. The RX8 was busted after it's release for not producing it's stated horsepower. I'll let you figure out how it relates. No wiki here just just my encyclopedic knowledge of automobiles. :wink:
May 14, 2007 10:16:22 PM

Rabid:

Why are you trolling this thread so hard trying to convince people that the 2900 is the better product? Are you an ATI evangelist or something? Your arguments would sound alot more credible if you left the bigoted fanatical zealotry at home.

Anyway, this is all a moot point. The 2900 can't compete with the GTX and according to ATI, it wasn't ment to. Move on.
May 14, 2007 10:16:27 PM

Quote:
for what it is worth, i have two sapphire cards in my system and as such have twice as muich chance as most of having a bad card but these have been working fine for months now, my CF slave has been going for over a year, no hitches.

the real interesting thing is what i said means damn all about how a company really is. it is just one experience.

unless someone has real figures to back up what they say, take it with a pinch of salt.

good point, but apart from that everything else is the same right?
same equipment, same cables, only the "fancy graphics" and sticker changes right?

(edit, I know the ASUS has an extra game, butI mean in the default versions)
May 14, 2007 10:27:43 PM

Quote:
Rabid I considered you're wankel analogy and it is weak. I do see a correlation between the two. The RX8 was busted after it's release for not producing it's stated horsepower. I'll let you figure out how it relates. No wiki here just just my encyclopedic knowledge of automobiles. :wink:

Yes... I remember that as well. It was a sad day for us Mazda owners when the real numbers were published. Haha.

(on a side note, and to REALLY confuse this analogy beyond repair, the RX8 still got great reviews from Car and Driver/etc because even though it didn't have a lot of HP compared to other cars it was a great driving experience)

@MonocleCat: Come on... rabid has calmed down already so why are you making your aggro post here? I'm interested in reading people's views but I don't like wasting my time listening to people get all aggro over this stuff.
May 14, 2007 10:30:11 PM

By the way (and this couldn't be more off-topic), you're making me hungry for tamales. Why would you do that??? Now I'll be miserable with no friggin' tamales! :cry: 
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2007 10:36:43 PM

Quote:
thx for the tip there!
funny that sapphire still says to sport 2 years of garantee but the rest only 1.....

Yeah, and I never had a single issue with my R9000non-pro, worked like a workhorse in my editing rig.

IIRC, ASUS and Gigabyte all have 3 year warranties (at least they did with their X1K and do with GF7/8 cards), PowerColor/ColourPower have Lifetime warranties. I used to dislike PowerCrapper as we called them because they had a nasty habit of things like factory underclocked cards (some ASUS have had that problem too but not as bad [like 10mhz on Asus]).

Here's Gigabyte's warranty, notice it's really 2+1yrs;
http://rma.gigabyte-usa.com/DirectRMA/EndUser_Main.asp
Graphic Accelerator Cards (VGA)
o All graphic cards carry a 3 year limited warranty (First 2 years parts & labor, 3rd year parts only)

ASUS' full 3 years;
http://support.asus.com/repair/repair.aspx?no=201&SLang...
All ASUS VGA cards purchased after January 1st, 2001 will carry 3 year limited warranty services. One year limited warranty is given for purchase made prior to 2001.

Powercolor still shows it's lifetime warranty for the X19xx series only. Likely to be updated shortly but worth checking first if that's a consideration.
May 14, 2007 10:37:13 PM

Quote:

Now your pickup is the Nvidia, sure you can get a nice big tree on it, and you can go and shoot at racoons and black people in it, but you can't drift down a street in Tokyo at 100mph in it now can you?

8O

What are you trying to say here? Racist murdering rednecks yearn to earn street cred in Japan?

I'm confused....
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2007 10:39:45 PM

Quote:

good point, but apart from that everything else is the same right?
same equipment, same cables, only the "fancy graphics" and sticker changes right?

Sometimes people put different cooler on it, like HIS did with the IceQ series, but usually, underneath they are all very similar.

Of course the Sapphire Toxic and MSI liquid solutions are pretty out on their own, but that's definitely not the 'base models' you seem to be talking about most.
May 14, 2007 10:40:24 PM

Quote:

thx for the tip there!

Last I checked mine had a Lifetime.
!