Use Motorola Phone As A USB Modem

Cygnus X1

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
I have a netbook and would like to use my motorola phone as a USB modem. My netbook doesn't have bluetooth on board, & using the USB cable keeps the phone charged. I tried Ubuntu Netbook Remix, but it doesn't support USB modems.
Is there a package that I could download for Ubuntu Netbook Remix that would let me use the phone as a modem, or should I try another linux distro that would?

I am a multiplatform user. All systems have their strengths & weaknesses. I didn't post this to get into an argument about which system is best. Presently, I have XP Pro on a 32 GB partition, & would install linux on a 32 GB partition, leaving a 55 GB partition for my music, videos, etc.

Solution
Hey,

I have a LG Vue and use it all the time in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS when I can't find access with my laptop and free wifi. I used to have a Motorola Roka and it also work very well with Ubuntu. Good luck

Cygnus X1

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my query. I was unable to find out anything specific in Ubuntu's forums. Motorola has no Linux drivers on their site.
After googling the topic, most USB modems are software dependent (Winmmodems)which means unless there is a specific Linux driver, the modem will not work with Linux.
Ironically, a great number of cellphones are themselves running a Linux system.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Hey,

I have a LG Vue and use it all the time in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS when I can't find access with my laptop and free wifi. I used to have a Motorola Roka and it also work very well with Ubuntu. Good luck

Solution

Cygnus X1

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
It's good to know that it is possible to use a Motorola phone as a modem with Linux. However, I am no longer using my cell phone as a modem. In order to use it as a modem, it costs me $30 per month for tethering, & another $15 per month for a data plan in order to use tethering. that's $45 per month for a download speed of around 20kps. My service provider doubled the tethering fee over the last year. Years ago, I used a Motorola phone as a modem, & the usage came out of my airtime, with no data fees. I decided to get DSL broadband for home use instead.

I see you're using Ubuntu 10.04, my Acer is running Super Ubuntu 9.10. A lot of users have had issues with 10.04 booting, so I'm waiting to upgrade. Since my last post, the Acer is now Linux only. I ran into some issues with Windows XP, after scanning the drive from a co-worker's laptop with Microsoft Security Essentials, which found & "cleaned" 18 different worms, trojans, etc. My Dell found even more on the same hard drive, after scanning it with Eset Nod 32. The Dell runs Windows XP. It's at least 4 years old, & hasn't given me any problems.

I'm still a multi-platform user. I have a Mac Book with Snow Leopard, a Dell M70 with XP Pro, & this Acer with Linux.

I do believe that Microsoft is paranoid of Linux. A few years ago, I was following an article about installing Linux, & when I clicked on the link for the last page, MSN Explorer pops up with "This Page Is Forbidden!". I haven't used MSN Explorer since, nor will I in the future.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Wow, I am on AT&T which I hate, but I only pay $15 dollars a month and it is unlimited data, at 3g speeds, what ever that is... It is fast enough for me not to hate surfing the net while away from home, and I have high speed at home. Sounds like your company was ripping you off. I have been using 10.04 since beta and love it.

I also have had macs and like the OS, like vista, windows 7 running windows 7 on most of my rigs along with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, but none of the others OS allow me to use my LG phone as a modem for internet access. so I really like Ubuntu

Good luck with everything

Cygnus X1

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
After my contract is up with my present carrier, I am definitely going to shop around for a better deal for my phone & internet access. The 20 kps download speed is on 3G. Maybe next year I can go with mobile broadband. By the way, just how did you get your LG to work as a modem with Linux ?

Ironically, I could tether the Motorola with XP & Mac both. I can upgrade Super Ubuntu to 10.04 LTS at anytime. So far Ubuntu hasn't given me any grief, It's a joy to use it. I have a friend who is buying a Fujitsu from me and is interested in trying Ubuntu. Since he only knows how to use Windows XP, I'm thinking maybe Sun's Virtualbox with Ubuntu as a guest would be a good way to start. The Fujitsu has a duocore processor, 3 gigs of RAM, & a 120 GB SATA drive.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

Sounds like a fantastic idea :) That computer is more than powerful enough to run a virtual machine or two, and then he has the option of using XP which he's familiar with if need be.

Cygnus X1

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Thank you for your post. I consider myself to be a novice with Linux & Mac. With Mac, I need some new software for recording streaming audio, & photo editing. With Linux, I just need to try out WINE for some old software & try some new applications for Linux. I definitely prefer using Linux for all my web related tasks.
My friend buying the Fujitsu is wheelchair bound. He likes making videos for You Tube. If you have a suggestion for which Linux application to use, it would be appreciated.
This forum is excellent, & I hope it stays that way.