Your question

Gaming - Vista 64 or 32

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows Vista
March 20, 2008 5:39:25 PM

First, just to save people the time of replying, I'm not going back to XP. I've made the jump, I'll stay here while the get the bugs fixed.

I'm about to reload Vista and I'm trying to decide if I want to go 64-bit or 32-bit. I have 4GB of RAM in the system now and I'm considering going up to 8, but only if 64-bit won't hurt my performance to much in games. I've been trying to look for recent benchmarks/articles on this, but everything out there seems to be from when Vista was either beta or first released.

Are any of the games out there running better on Vista 64-bit than 32-bit? I am going to take a big performance hit if I got to 64-bit? Have there been any recent benchmarks on this? I keep hoping to see something like this pop up on Tom's but nothing yet.

I've already checked out the other aspects of my machine and software/drivers are available to support 64-bit.

Any advice would be appreciated.

More about : gaming vista

March 20, 2008 8:48:14 PM

never mind performance, if you don't go 64, you already wasted your money on the 4 gigs and you will be wasting more on 8.

Read
m
l
Related resources
March 20, 2008 10:58:08 PM

dmroeder, i wasn't planning on jumping to 8 gigs unless I had 64-bit. My reasoning on the 4 gigs in 32-bit was that 3.25GB is better than 2GB and that I would ultimatly make the jump to 64-bit.

I'm going to load it up tonight and see how things go. I'll let you know in a few days.
m
l
March 21, 2008 2:03:24 AM

nataSofCols said:
dmroeder, i wasn't planning on jumping to 8 gigs unless I had 64-bit. My reasoning on the 4 gigs in 32-bit was that 3.25GB is better than 2GB and that I would ultimatly make the jump to 64-bit.

Fair enough!
m
l
March 21, 2008 2:56:35 PM

Although your system (according to M$) still utilizes the ram not show above 3.25gb, I went with 64bit. I am running 4gigs and I plan to run 8gigs very soon. I hate buying OS s so I didn't want to buy 32bit and then buy 64bit in a year. That would be ideal for compatibility but I was running the 64bit version of Vista during the beta testing and got everything in my house including my printers to work so it works for me. I just upgraded to SP1 last night seems to have gotten rid of a few glitches I had with the system. In short if you can put up with a few hiccups in the road with some drivers or software it will pay in the long run going with 64bit. If it critical that everything work as close to perfect now then you should go with 32bit. I think most good games out and coming out will be in 64bit version as well. I can tell a difference going from 2 to 4 gigs especially with the ram hungry vista, with 8gigs you can eliminate your swap file which really boosts performance.
m
l
March 25, 2008 4:02:53 PM

Just to add to Cisco's comment amout going with 32 then paying again to get 64. I know for a fact my version shipped with both 64/32 bit media as one package. I simply chose which one to Install and the same key works for both.

If you opt for 32 version I am fairly sure you can legally torrnent/borrow the 64 version from anywhere and use your key from 32. Someone should confirm this soon ..?
m
l
March 25, 2008 6:49:47 PM

Luke, you must have Ultimate? I believe Ultimate comes with both versions, where the others are 32bit only.
m
l
March 25, 2008 9:07:55 PM

Yes im pretty sure its the same for all except you dont physically recieve both media sets but the key works for both, as long as you use a home key with home 64 etc?
m
l
March 25, 2008 9:15:09 PM

I have ultimate 64-Bit OEM. These versions only have either 32 or 64 bit. I read in a m$ blog article that they can't sit side by side on the same DVD because its 2 entirely different code (apparently).

If you have the full version (€450+/-) you most likely have both versions.

Also, luke69 is bang on with the torrent way of getting the full (and latest DVD) NB: no cracks...just the real copy...you can reformat and reinstall the X-bit version u want.

I live in spain and had the added bonus of trying to find a english version of the product to install on my new system....no luck...torrented the english version and installed sweetly! (NB: cheaper as it was OEM @ €200 for the ultimate version)
m
l
March 25, 2008 9:24:55 PM

You need retail to get a DVD for each. Was it a space issue on the DVD? Next windows will come out on blue ray with both :) ?
m
l
March 26, 2008 11:44:09 PM

Luke69 said:
Yes im pretty sure its the same for all except you dont physically recieve both media sets but the key works for both, as long as you use a home key with home 64 etc?

According to MS, you receive both 32bit and 64bit when you buy Ultimate. The other Basic/Home Premium/Business, you only get 32bit, but you have the option of getting the 64bit for the cost of shipping. As you mentioned, you use the same key. You can only have one key used at a time (so you can't install 32bit and 64bit on two different computers). I'm sure this only applies to retail versions.

At the bottom
m
l
!