Best Buy- gift card help!?

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 24, 2004 6:49:39 PM

I have a BestBuy gift card, but I want to convert it to cash. If you buy
something with it, and then return it, Best Buy simply gives you a gift card
for the amount paid, as your receipt tells them you purchased it with a gift
card.

Can you purchase an item for more money than the gift card, play the
difference with a credit card, and then have the entire return credited to
your credit card?

Thanks!

More about : buy gift card

Anonymous
December 24, 2004 6:58:56 PM

sell it to someone in the store for $5 less than it's worth

"Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message
> I have a BestBuy gift card, but I want to convert it to cash. If you buy
> something with it, and then return it, Best Buy simply gives you a gift
card
> for the amount paid, as your receipt tells them you purchased it with a
gift
> card.
>
> Can you purchase an item for more money than the gift card, play the
> difference with a credit card, and then have the entire return credited to
> your credit card?
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
December 24, 2004 7:43:26 PM

Ask to speak to a General Manager at a store and ask him/her to do the
transaction for you at a register.
Or, ask to have the MOD (manager on duty) paged so you can get the
transaction explained/done.

See also:
http://bestbuysux.org/

Gary

"Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message
>I have a BestBuy gift card, but I want to convert it to cash. If you buy
> something with it, and then return it, Best Buy simply gives you a gift
> card
> for the amount paid, as your receipt tells them you purchased it with a
> gift
> card.
>
> Can you purchase an item for more money than the gift card, play the
> difference with a credit card, and then have the entire return credited to
> your credit card?
>
> Thanks!

December 24, 2004 8:01:57 PM

"Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message
> I have a BestBuy gift card, but I want to convert it to cash. If you buy
> something with it, and then return it, Best Buy simply gives you a gift
card
> for the amount paid, as your receipt tells them you purchased it with a
gift
> card.
>
> Can you purchase an item for more money than the gift card, play the
> difference with a credit card, and then have the entire return credited to
> your credit card?
>
> Thanks!

If you really must have cash. Use the gift card to buy something, but make
sure that Sears has it, then take it back to Sears without a receipt, then
they will give you cash or mail a check. Make sure you tell them that you
got it from another Sears 'about two weeks ago.' Make sure you do it after
Xmas, that way there is no doubts about them taking it back. It works.
Unless they changed their policy.
December 25, 2004 6:08:25 AM

"Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message
> I have a BestBuy gift card, but I want to convert it to cash. If you buy
> something with it, and then return it, Best Buy simply gives you a gift
card
> for the amount paid, as your receipt tells them you purchased it with a
gift
> card.
>
> Can you purchase an item for more money than the gift card, play the
> difference with a credit card, and then have the entire return credited to
> your credit card?
>
> Thanks!

Trying anything like that sounds complicated for "Best Buy". I no longer
patronize that store for several reasons, but can see how if I had a "gift
card" with them I'd probably like to "covert it to cash" as well..

Like someone else posted, easiest way would be to sell the gift card (at a
slight loss) to someone that would use it. Failing that, I'd probably use
the card to buy something to sell it on Ebay. The "Nintendo DS" ($150 at
BB) would be a good product to do that with. They go for around $180 on
Ebay, so after all the service fees you'd break just slightly over even.
December 31, 2004 1:39:45 PM

In article <9YXyd.2930$Y8.1885@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
n0gar@hotmail.com says...

> "Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message
> > I have a BestBuy gift card, but I want to convert it to cash. If you buy
> > something with it, and then return it, Best Buy simply gives you a gift
> card
> > for the amount paid, as your receipt tells them you purchased it with a
> gift
> > card.
> >
> > Can you purchase an item for more money than the gift card, play the
> > difference with a credit card, and then have the entire return credited to
> > your credit card?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> If you really must have cash. Use the gift card to buy something, but make
> sure that Sears has it, then take it back to Sears without a receipt, then
> they will give you cash or mail a check. Make sure you tell them that you
> got it from another Sears 'about two weeks ago.' Make sure you do it after
> Xmas, that way there is no doubts about them taking it back. It works.
> Unless they changed their policy.

Defrauding Best Buy to get around their policies is bad enough, but to
advocate defrauding Sears, a complete innocent, to get around a Best Buy
policy is both morally and ethically bankrupt.

Get a life.

And to the original poster, in the unlikely event that speaking with a
manuager is unhelpful, and you simply can't convert your gift to cash,
get over it, buy a few movies or something. Its not like you've been
ripped off.
!