disk (C) no free space

I have a Sony Vaio pc that has a Local disk (C) and a Local disk (D)
the (C) drive shows used space =13.2 GB and free space= 758 MB

The (D) drive shows used space=338 MB and free space = 92.4 GB

I need to free up the (C) drive Why does the C disk have so little space
and the D disk have so much?

Can I move stuff from C over to D?

As you can tell I don't know much about how the stuff works and I could use
some help.

Please reply Thanks

If you tell us the larger files on your hard drive, we can tell you which
ones can be moved, reduced, or eliminated.

WHY IS MY HDD GETTING SO FULL?

Download and use:
SequoiaView
http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/
It will help you visually find larger files.

Perry wrote:
> I have a Sony Vaio pc that has a Local disk (C) and a Local disk (D)
> the (C) drive shows used space =13.2 GB and free space= 758 MB
>
> The (D) drive shows used space=338 MB and free space = 92.4 GB
>
> I need to free up the (C) drive Why does the C disk have so little
> space and the D disk have so much?
>
> Can I move stuff from C over to D?
>
> As you can tell I don't know much about how the stuff works and I
> could use some help.
>
> Please reply Thanks

The files on the (C)drive include ,My Documents,my pictures,my
music,doucuments &settings, program files and Windows The windows file is
about 2.83 GB.
Can I just drag some of these from the (C) drive over to the (D) drive ?

"T. Waters" wrote:

> If you tell us the larger files on your hard drive, we can tell you which
> ones can be moved, reduced, or eliminated.
>
> WHY IS MY HDD GETTING SO FULL?
>
> Download and use:
> SequoiaView
> http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/
> It will help you visually find larger files.
>

> Perry wrote:
> > I have a Sony Vaio pc that has a Local disk (C) and a Local disk (D)
> > the (C) drive shows used space =13.2 GB and free space= 758 MB
> >
> > The (D) drive shows used space=338 MB and free space = 92.4 GB
> >
> > I need to free up the (C) drive Why does the C disk have so little
> > space and the D disk have so much?
> >
> > Can I move stuff from C over to D?
> >
> > As you can tell I don't know much about how the stuff works and I
> > could use some help.
> >
> > Please reply Thanks

Seems that this is the way it was partitioned by Sony
You may want to purchase a copy of Partition magic and repartition the
drives
Or use the Larger partition to store all your files and install new
programs to it
You can move "File" from the C drive over but not any programs which are
installed

"Perry" <Perry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Sony Vaio pc that has a Local disk (C) and a Local disk (D)
> the (C) drive shows used space =13.2 GB and free space= 758 MB
>
> The (D) drive shows used space=338 MB and free space = 92.4 GB
>
> I need to free up the (C) drive Why does the C disk have so little space
> and the D disk have so much?
>
> Can I move stuff from C over to D?
>
> As you can tell I don't know much about how the stuff works and I could
> use
> some help.
>
> Please reply Thanks

Perry

Your local disk 'D' can be used as storage, or to install and run programs..
you have the option of installing programs anywhere if you so choose by
going for the 'custom' install..

You could re-install some of your applications onto 'D'..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Perry" <Perry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Sony Vaio pc that has a Local disk (C) and a Local disk (D)
> the (C) drive shows used space =13.2 GB and free space= 758 MB
>
> The (D) drive shows used space=338 MB and free space = 92.4 GB
>
> I need to free up the (C) drive Why does the C disk have so little space
> and the D disk have so much?
>
> Can I move stuff from C over to D?
>
> As you can tell I don't know much about how the stuff works and I could
> use
> some help.
>
> Please reply Thanks

"Perry" <Perry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Sony Vaio pc that has a Local disk (C) and a Local disk (D)
> the (C) drive shows used space =13.2 GB and free space= 758 MB
>
> The (D) drive shows used space=338 MB and free space = 92.4 GB
>
> I need to free up the (C) drive Why does the C disk have so little space
> and the D disk have so much?
>
> Can I move stuff from C over to D?
>
> As you can tell I don't know much about how the stuff works and I could
> use
> some help.
>
> Please reply Thanks

Perry at this point I would recommend using the program 'Partition Magic'
which will allow you to repartition the two drives without reinstalling
program files or copying any data files to drive D. While you will have to
buy the program it will less work and hassle.

Bquinn

Thanks I'll see if I can get the "program Magic" sw

"Bquinn" wrote:

> "Perry" <Perry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Sony Vaio pc that has a Local disk (C) and a Local disk (D)
> > the (C) drive shows used space =13.2 GB and free space= 758 MB
> >
> > The (D) drive shows used space=338 MB and free space = 92.4 GB
> >
> > I need to free up the (C) drive Why does the C disk have so little space
> > and the D disk have so much?
> >
> > Can I move stuff from C over to D?
> >
> > As you can tell I don't know much about how the stuff works and I could
> > use
> > some help.
> >
> > Please reply Thanks
>
> Perry at this point I would recommend using the program 'Partition Magic'
> which will allow you to repartition the two drives without reinstalling
> program files or copying any data files to drive D. While you will have to
> buy the program it will less work and hassle.
>
> Bquinn

It sounds like Sony set up your "drives" so that XP is on the C drive and
you are supposed to set everything else up on the D drive.This way when(not
if) something screws up XP you can use their recovery CD and restore XP to
the C drive without destroying all other programs as well as personal files
which you would have installed onto D.
Think twice about merging the 2 partitions.
peterk

safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
> The files on the (C)drive include ,My Documents,my pictures,my
> music,doucuments &settings, program files and Windows The windows file is
> about 2.83 GB.
> Can I just drag some of these from the (C) drive over to the (D) drive ?
>
> "T. Waters" wrote:
>
>> If you tell us the larger files on your hard drive, we can tell you which
>> ones can be moved, reduced, or eliminated.
>>
>> WHY IS MY HDD GETTING SO FULL?
>>
>> Download and use:
>> SequoiaView
>> http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/
>> It will help you visually find larger files.
>>

>> Perry wrote:
>> > I have a Sony Vaio pc that has a Local disk (C) and a Local disk (D)
>> > the (C) drive shows used space =13.2 GB and free space= 758 MB
>> >
>> > The (D) drive shows used space=338 MB and free space = 92.4 GB
>> >
>> > I need to free up the (C) drive Why does the C disk have so little
>> > space and the D disk have so much?
>> >
>> > Can I move stuff from C over to D?
>> >
>> > As you can tell I don't know much about how the stuff works and I
>> > could use some help.
>> >
>> > Please reply Thanks

All of your personal data and music files can be moved to drive D

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Perry" <Perry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The files on the (C)drive include ,My Documents,my pictures,my
> music,doucuments &settings, program files and Windows The windows file is
> about 2.83 GB.
> Can I just drag some of these from the (C) drive over to the (D) drive ?
>
> "T. Waters" wrote:
>
>> If you tell us the larger files on your hard drive, we can tell you which
>> ones can be moved, reduced, or eliminated.
>>
>> WHY IS MY HDD GETTING SO FULL?
>>
>> Download and use:
>> SequoiaView
>> http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/
>> It will help you visually find larger files.
>>

>> Perry wrote:
>> > I have a Sony Vaio pc that has a Local disk (C) and a Local disk (D)
>> > the (C) drive shows used space =13.2 GB and free space= 758 MB
>> >
>> > The (D) drive shows used space=338 MB and free space = 92.4 GB
>> >
>> > I need to free up the (C) drive Why does the C disk have so little
>> > space and the D disk have so much?
>> >
>> > Can I move stuff from C over to D?
>> >
>> > As you can tell I don't know much about how the stuff works and I
>> > could use some help.
>> >
>> > Please reply Thanks

go to
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

download bootitng. use it in maintenance mode to resize your drives.
you don't need to even install it unless you decide to buy the program.

Glenn

"Perry" <Perry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Sony Vaio pc that has a Local disk (C) and a Local disk (D)
> the (C) drive shows used space =13.2 GB and free space= 758 MB
>
> The (D) drive shows used space=338 MB and free space = 92.4 GB
>
> I need to free up the (C) drive Why does the C disk have so little space
> and the D disk have so much?
>
> Can I move stuff from C over to D?
>
> As you can tell I don't know much about how the stuff works and I could
> use
> some help.
>
> Please reply Thanks

I don't know want window need on this computer or it don't need so i have
very low space can you help me get the stuff off of here that is not need
--
Wakonda

"Perry" wrote:

> I have a Sony Vaio pc that has a Local disk (C) and a Local disk (D)
> the (C) drive shows used space =13.2 GB and free space= 758 MB
>
> The (D) drive shows used space=338 MB and free space = 92.4 GB
>
> I need to free up the (C) drive Why does the C disk have so little space
> and the D disk have so much?
>
> Can I move stuff from C over to D?
>
> As you can tell I don't know much about how the stuff works and I could use
> some help.
>
> Please reply Thanks

Paul

Splendid

eh!

"wakonda" <wakonda9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I don't know want window need on this computer or it don't need so i have
> very low space can you help me get the stuff off of here that is not need

Sorry, but your post makes no sense to me.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"wakonda" <wakonda9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I don't know want window need on this computer or it don't need so i have
> very low space can you help me get the stuff off of here that is not need
> --
> Wakonda
>

> "Perry" wrote:
>
>> I have a Sony Vaio pc that has a Local disk (C) and a Local disk (D)
>> the (C) drive shows used space =13.2 GB and free space= 758 MB
>>
>> The (D) drive shows used space=338 MB and free space = 92.4 GB
>>
>> I need to free up the (C) drive Why does the C disk have so little space
>> and the D disk have so much?
>>
>> Can I move stuff from C over to D?
>>
>> As you can tell I don't know much about how the stuff works and I could
>> use
>> some help.
>>
>> Please reply Thanks

If C and D are two partitions on one hard drive, then adjust the partition
to move free space from the D drive to the C drive - this will increase the
space allocated to drive C.

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Sorry, but your post makes no sense to me.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
>

> "wakonda" <wakonda9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I don't know want window need on this computer or it don't need so i have
>> very low space can you help me get the stuff off of here that is not need
>> --
>> Wakonda
>>

>> "Perry" wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Sony Vaio pc that has a Local disk (C) and a Local disk (D)
>>> the (C) drive shows used space =13.2 GB and free space= 758 MB
>>>
>>> The (D) drive shows used space=338 MB and free space = 92.4 GB
>>>
>>> I need to free up the (C) drive Why does the C disk have so little
>>> space
>>> and the D disk have so much?
>>>
>>> Can I move stuff from C over to D?
>>>
>>> As you can tell I don't know much about how the stuff works and I could
>>> use
>>> some help.
>>>
>>> Please reply Thanks

Service Pack 2 might be blocking them....if you use Outlook Express, it may
have a message across the top saying "Images are blocked to prevent your
computer being identified on the internet. CLick here to show pictures"
(something to that effect).

Otherwise if you're doing an html newsletter or something, the image must be
hosted on an http: server, and the full path/location set in the email
newsletter pointing to the server location (URL).