Load up screen is compressed on the right

luciusC

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Hello everybody,

To start off I'm a newbie. I just installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Everything went well and the OS runs smoothly; that is, the OS loads up completely and I can use it.
However, the problem I have is when the OS is booting up: when the screen is black and all the system checks are scrolling down the screen, I can only see the right 1/4 of the screen. In other words, I can't see the full lines of checks scrolling by, only what is visible in the right 1/4 of the screen. The rest of the screen is completely black.
I don't know what is wrong. Could it be some resolution setting that I need to adjust somewhere? If so, why does it just affect the screen during boot up and not after Ubuntu is loaded?
All advice would be greatly appreciated.

luciusC

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010

Sorry, I made a mistake. The screen is visible on the LEFT 1/4 of the screen and the rest of the screen is black. I can only see the first few numbers or words of each line that scrolls down the screen.

LuciusC

luciusC

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Sorry for the extended delay in replying.

What kind of hardware specs do you need? The problem appears before Linux boots up. Would Linux be able to show the specs, or is there some page in the BIOS that I should view. Thanks for the help.

L

linux_0

Splendid
Well, all of them actually, the more specs the better :) CPU, ram, mobo, psu, graphics, hdds, etc.

If you're able to drop to a shell run lspci and post the results, that'll help a lot.

Applications Accessories Terminal

sudo su -

lspci

The model/brand and some pix wouldn't hurt either.

Semper Fi :)