Sign in with
Your question

overclock a dell

Last response: in Overclocking
May 14, 2007 7:28:39 PM

I new to all this. I already learned not to by a dell but its what i currently have.

I currently have a dell dimension (9140 i think) with a pentium d 915 on an LGA 775.
I have a pentium d 945 on the way.

I have heard great things about overclocking this processor. However Ive also been told that you can not overclock a dell.

Is it possible do overclock my machine?
if so how?

Is it possible to replace, change, or upgrade the bios?

if it matters Im running windows vista, 3gb ram pc5300,

More about : overclock dell

May 14, 2007 8:57:28 PM

you can't oc a dell (or any other pre-built for that matter) due to locked bios.

Quote:
Is it possible to replace, change, or upgrade the bios?

you can upgrade bios (if dell releases new version) but it won't do you any good.

you might try Clockgen, it is used to oc on the fly. i can't guarantee however that it will work.
May 14, 2007 9:11:30 PM

you cant overclock it. The motherboard doesnt have the ability to change FSB speeds.
Related resources
May 14, 2007 9:21:22 PM

should I (can I) change the motherboard?

or would it be best to wait a year and just build my own machine?
I figured I wouldnt replace the board untill i could afford a lot better processor.

if I use Clockgen how do i find out what my pll set up is. And what is a pll setup.

if it cant change the fsb speeds, what impact will that have on the new pentium 945 i just bought?
May 14, 2007 9:23:16 PM

I would suggest that you don't experiment with clockgen, but save up money and build your own machine that fits your needs best. 8)
May 14, 2007 10:05:08 PM

you can overclock a dell, i overclocked my old Dell 4600 from 2.4 to 2.7stable, so there :twisted:

Get the PLL number off the ICS chip on the mobo, then use that in something like systool

Be warned though, dell are all around complete crap, theyre built for the exact same wat you got it, with very little headroom for overclocking due to insufficient PSU( some of which use proprietary connectors ), cooling and ventilation, you might want to leave the side off the case and disconect any extra DVD drives/USB devices
May 14, 2007 11:06:18 PM

Quote:
you can overclock a dell, i overclocked my old Dell 4600 from 2.4 to 2.7stable, so there :twisted:

Get the PLL number off the ICS chip on the mobo, then use that in something like systool

Be warned though, dell are all around complete crap, theyre built for the exact same wat you got it, with very little headroom for overclocking due to insufficient PSU( some of which use proprietary connectors ), cooling and ventilation, you might want to leave the side off the case and disconect any extra DVD drives/USB devices

LOL. Talk about FUD. How many more watts do you think were used from a 300MHz overclock at stock voltage? I'll tell you this: It's under ten.
May 15, 2007 1:03:58 AM

Quote:

LOL. Talk about FUD. How many more watts do you think were used from a 300MHz overclock at stock voltage? I'll tell you this: It's under ten.
what are you on about fool, you dont know anything about my setup at that time, come on here with idiot comments like that basing it all on your own interpretation of what i might have had, my Dell was was creaking, my point was that theres not much headroom for overclocking with Dell and its setup dependent, i said he might want to disconnect stuff to conserve power, get it stable first then add all the devices, and just for your info, i had an x850 pro with 16 pipelines unlocked running @ 515cpu cor,600mem with a Zalman Fatal1ty cooler @ 3.5 volts if i remember correctly, 1.6 gig ram, 40gig and 160 gig harddrive, DVD rom, and 4 usb devices which ive seen can use from 5-15Watts of power each, my PSU was supposed to be 250watt apparently from reading around was actually a 350 one with between 250-300 constant flow depending on which one you got

So again, ya needent come here with your FUD remarks, get your facts right, i never once said how much more power it would consume and it doesnt matter because if its 5Watt or 50Watt if youre approaching the PSU limit it aint gonna work, is that how you got 1222 posts?
May 15, 2007 1:59:58 AM

lol...

I aint OCing my XPS gen 3 though.

Dont wanna mess with my Heatburst CPU
May 15, 2007 3:24:03 AM

Quote:
lol...

I aint OCing my XPS gen 3 though.

Dont wanna mess with my Heatburst CPU

grrrr, lol, ahh youll be grand OC'ing that, sure you can blow on it if it gets too hot :twisted:

Oh and forgot to say OP, you can replace the bios, but i seriously wouldnt recommend that if you value having a working PC
May 15, 2007 4:58:56 AM

chip set i945P/PL/G/GZ
south bridge 82801gb

im not understanding the PLL

it seems that the pll is i945p, but that isnt an option from Clock gen.

What should I use?

I can open the computer but I have no idea what I am looking for
May 15, 2007 11:08:24 AM

Quote:
chip set i945P/PL/G/GZ
south bridge 82801gb

im not understanding the PLL

it seems that the pll is i945p, but that isnt an option from Clock gen.

What should I use?

I can open the computer but I have no idea what I am looking for

it will be something like ICS 952607, you need to open the PC up then look around for it
Theres an ICS chip on the mobo just check the mobo for a 6 digit number, i cant remember what it looks like now to be honest, but it was easy to find

here check this out - http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=41097

also my old dell didnt have temp monitors so i got some util that would show 5 levels of temperature, i cant remember what it was called, try 'speedfan'
May 15, 2007 1:08:30 PM

i think i found it does

cyp 629874 seem right?

with clock gen using ics 9504005 the clocksare very close but not exact. my pll doesnt seem to be listed
May 15, 2007 1:15:31 PM

CY284100-XC Husky International Electronics
May 15, 2007 2:45:36 PM

i dont know, only thing you can do is try, i located the chip based on that guru3d article or similar and i used sysinfo. I dont have any experience with it going wrong, but it should match existing ones that are listed in some combobox( ive not use clockgen in ages so i cant help you there )
May 15, 2007 3:10:51 PM

I think I am out of luck

cpucool says that

cypress cy28410 can not be changed, Can i buy an inexpensive mobo and replace everything?
May 15, 2007 3:59:41 PM

im not entirely confident that cy28410 is your PLL, so i cant really comment on that, if you use any autodetect the PLL, Dell apparently provide misinformation from the mobo for this simply to prevent overclocking, thats why you have to read it off writing on the chip

Anyway, as for a new mobo, you can do that if you know that youre PSU doesnt use one of those crappy Dell proprietary connectory, mine had this issue and would cost 70euro for a converter type thing so i gave up on the whole issue and just got rid of the dell, seemed too much hassle to upgrade it at all
May 15, 2007 4:17:57 PM

i got that number off something on the mobo that appeared to be the pll. When I googled the number it came back to a second hand distributer (husky)
Im not certain that It was the right part but It resembled the ones in the pictures. It seems to me that it has to many numbers. I will run SIW when i get home and see if it says anything. It seems that mother boards are cheap. Im ok buying a case and mobo. I dont want to buy another processor, ram, sata hd, or any other stuff. have ati xp600 pci-e that i would like to use for now was going to replace but i cant afford to if buying all the other stuff.

Thank You for all the help.
I have learned alot just from researching things you have said.
This all seems rather simple once you get the basic understanding.

what does PSU mean so that I can find out if i can replace mobo.
May 15, 2007 4:30:51 PM

i feel like an idiot

PSU = power supply

new modo - around $100
new PSU - around $25.00

so for under $150 I can over clock a pentium d 945 3.4 to a 4.0 or better.
have 3gb of pc 5300 ddr2, keep my 2 Sata HD, and xp600.

that seem like a deal. Then in a year or 2 i can upgrade the processor again.

Im not a gamer, just a power hungery graphic/web designer.

This really seems like the way to go. Can you tell me what mobo and power supply to get or should I start a new post with all my spects
May 15, 2007 6:31:45 PM

moved to "need inforamtion on 775 and pent 945'
May 15, 2007 7:46:13 PM

Quote:

Anyway, as for a new mobo, you can do that if you know that youre PSU doesnt use one of those crappy Dell proprietary connectory, mine had this issue and would cost 70euro for a converter type thing so i gave up on the whole issue and just got rid of the dell, seemed too much hassle to upgrade it at all

Stop spreading FUD. The only thing proprietary in your 4600 were the front panel connectors (and even that can be easily remedied by simply rewiring them). The PSU was 100% ATX standard, meaning any PSU would have fit and worked fine in your Dell. Dell stopped using propietary PSUs in their tower systems around 2000-2001.

Now, allow me to address your little temper tantrum:

Quote:
usb devices which ive seen can use from 5-15Watts of power each
That's simply not possible. USB standard dictates a 5volt output with a max of 500mA current. That means a possible 2.5 watts maximum, off the 5 volt line. It would have no bearing on CPU overclocking, which gets all of it's power through the 12volt line. Did you just make up this factoid?
Quote:
i said he might want to disconnect stuff to conserve power

Disconnect CD drives? What kind of fool are you? Do you have any idea how much power a CD drive consumes while idling? It uses less than 2 watt, and that's off the 5 volt line!.

Quote:
x850 pro with 16 pipelines unlocked running @ 515cpu cor,600mem with a Zalman Fatal1ty cooler @ 3.5 volts if i remember correctly, 1.6 gig ram, 40gig and 160 gig harddrive,

Now this takes the cake. You first state that Dell's crappy PSUs lack overhead. Then you mention you add an X850pro turned x850 XT, more ram, and another hard drive to your system. These upgrade put you AT LEAST 30 watts over the factory specs, and that's being generous and assuming your Dell 4600 came with the Radeon 9800 PRO. Ya, that Dell PSU sure sucked.

Quote:
PSU was supposed to be 250watt apparently from reading around was actually a 350 one with between 250-300 constant flow depending on which one you got
My point exactly. That 250 watt Dell PSU is quality, and you were NO WHERE NEAR maxing it out with that system, so stop spreading FUD.
Quote:
is that how you got 1222 posts?
I got to this many posts by showing people like you for what they really are: huge n00bs who have no clue as to what they're talking about.

To the OP: Although "9140" brought up no search results, but I suspect you mean either 9100 or 9150, which is one of the newer BTX-based Dells. Although not exactly proprietary, the lack of BTX boards in the aftermarket channel means it might as well be. I'm afraid you'll have a tough time finding a cheap BTX board to replace your current Dell.
May 15, 2007 9:19:05 PM

and a burn
May 15, 2007 9:49:14 PM

so will a

ASUS P5ND2 SLI fit in my dell case and run off the dell power supply if im not adding much?

yes, it's a 9150 sorry about that.
the case is huge and has room for a thermalright cooler
May 15, 2007 10:16:02 PM

Better off buying a new machine overall because IF you can overclock to 4Ghz ( 99% of the OEM machines I've dealt with including Dells have a locked BIOS), the coolers retail machines use wont' keep it cool. ALL OEM manufacturers use the stock Intel cooler design, and you can forget popping a good aftermarket cooler in there because of the case. Then again, it' s pointless to keep upgrading an OEM system. Just save the money and build a new one.
May 15, 2007 10:26:18 PM

i couldn't even be bothered with your FUD, ohh look, with your so called 'expert' knowledge the power consumption for my old Dell at stock on http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine is 333w, ohh how wrong i was, ohh n look max volt on USB2 is actually 5.25v x500mA = 2.75W my bad ....... :roll:

Good man on the 'expert' knowledge, looks like your not too clued in either
May 15, 2007 10:37:29 PM

I agree with by new, but not whole machine just motherboard, power supply and maybe case. there is no reason to replace everything else because its all aftermarket (meaning not dell) and under a year old.

I realy dont see why the cooling system wont fit.
have you seen the size of the case on the 9150
its bigger then any of the after market cases im currently pricing.
my gateway (case and all) will literally fit inside it.

my concern is will the ASUS P5ND2 SLI bolt down.
Im pretty certain i will by a case anyway, I dont want to advertise for dell and cases are cheap on e-bay
May 16, 2007 4:18:12 AM

Quote:
ohh look, with your so called 'expert' knowledge the power consumption for my old Dell at stock on http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine is 333w, ohh how wrong i was,
I suggest you look over the SPCR article I linked previously. A Pentium D 820 machine equipped with a 6800GT consumed "only" 223 watts under GPU and CPU load. That was at the wall, meaning even less after the efficiency of the PSU is taken into consideration. If I had to guesstimate, the PSU in your Dell system was pushing out around 150 to 160 watts during combined heavy GPU & CPU load (gaming), using ~10 or 11 amps on the 12volt rail. That would be the heaviest usage scenario I could come up with. In any event, your old Dell was no where near 300+ watt power consumption the extreme PSU calculator estimated.

Here's a prime example. My Dell 4500 system has the following specs:
Pentium D 805 @ 1.15 vcore
Asrock 775i65G
GF3 Ti200
2x256MB ram
80GB Seagate IV
200GB Seagate 7200.7
3.5" floppy
DVDRW
DVDrom
Winfast TV2000XP Expert capture card
Aureal Vortex 2 audio card
Dell 250 watt PSU

extreme PSU calculator says I need at least a 283 watt PSU. My own power consumption tests (yes, I actually own a Kill-a-watt power meter and a clamp ammeter) have shown that the idle power consumption of this rig is 100 watts, with 125 watts single Prime95, and 150 watts under dual prime 95. It seems the extreme PSU caculator is guessing almost double the actual power consumption.

Quote:
ohh n look max volt on USB2 is actually 5.25v x500mA = 2.75W my bad ....... :roll:

Sorry, but it's 5 volt. It runs off the 5 volt line. If a PSU is so crappy that it outputs 5.25 volts, so be it, but the IDEAL is 5 volt. 5.25volt is just the absolute out of spec maximum the voltage could be and still have reliable USB operation. The USB port could output 6 volts even, if the 5 volt line was putting out 6 volts.
May 16, 2007 4:22:33 AM

Quote:
I agree with by new, but not whole machine just motherboard, power supply and maybe case. there is no reason to replace everything else because its all aftermarket (meaning not dell) and under a year old.

I realy dont see why the cooling system wont fit.
have you seen the size of the case on the 9150
its bigger then any of the after market cases im currently pricing.
my gateway (case and all) will literally fit inside it.

my concern is will the ASUS P5ND2 SLI bolt down.
Im pretty certain i will by a case anyway, I dont want to advertise for dell and cases are cheap on e-bay

The mobo will not necessarily "bolt down" as the mobo is ATX and the case is BTX. And I have seen that case, its pretty big. Almost as big as my XPS Gen 3.

Dont try to use that case, at least buy a cheap one like this CM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

two 120mm fans is very good, and $50 is great
May 16, 2007 4:48:15 AM

Sorry for dirtying up your thread. As for your question about the ASUS board, bildcat4 said exactly what I was thinking. In order to fit an ATX board into a BTX case you would have to do some MAJOR modifications. Heck a BTX board mounts on the opposite side of the case than an ATX. The I/O panel is on the wrong side of the case. The best idea is to do one of two things:
1. Sell the computer case and mobo on Ebay as a package deal. Dell cases are, for some reason, highly valued on Ebay. I would guesstimate that you'd probably get at least $100. You can then use that to apply to a new case and mobo.

2. Do nothing, and just forget the idea of overclocking for right now, and instead build your own rig when the next time comes to upgrade.
May 16, 2007 11:03:30 AM

well unfortunately i didnt have any watt meters, my exact config was:
AGP x850pro 16pipes @ 515cpu core,600mem with Zalman Fatal1ty cooler @ 12 volts( i checked this out it was 5 or 12v depending on RPM of fan ), i cant confirm this but they did a power consumption test for x8XX cards here - http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2005q2/agp-radeons/in... ( which seems to be around 100-110W )
4 DDR1 sticks, 1 Gig, 512Meg, 256Meg & 128Meg
PCI X-Fi Xtrememusic
Maxtor DiamondMax 80Gig & Maxtor DiamondMax 160Gig
PCI NIC
PCI Modem
DVD RW & DVDR/CDRW
Floppy drive
USB mouse, keyboard, joystick & sometimes my ipod

looking at the PCI spec max power draw on it is 25W( of course probable very fre cards draw anywhere near that ), im not sure what each of the above was drawing.
Im not trying to be an ass, i never went over it with a volt/amp/watt meter simply because i didnt have one so i cant 100% say exactly what was drawn, i can only go with whe expected power consumption on sites like extreme outervision psu engine. I can neither confirm or deny the validity of those sites on their power consumption as i dont have the tools to do that, so i can only go with the information if gathered

All i can say is that with everything connected when gaming for hours on BF2 the GPU would switch off( the temps were fine in atitool ), i removed the NIC/disconected the CDRW and the usb devices i wasnt using and it wouldnt switch off, therefore with the expected power consumption from those sites + the fact GPU wouldnt switch off with a few things turned off, the only conclusion i had was that the PSU wasnt supplying enough power

The info for the max USB power consumption i got of 5.25 was taken from the USB 2 specification

OP, apologies also for messing with the thread, i agree with the rest of the lads on just flogging the dell case,PSU & mobo on ebay and replacing them with better more flexible parts yourself, try and get a Dell sticker for your new system though :twisted:
!