Cablevision, QAM, Receiver

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 24, 2004 4:24:38 PM

Have a new HD set.

For now would be satisfied with just getting the local channels in
HiDef so am not now rushing to upgrade my cable service to digital.

My cable company is Cablevision in the NY metro area.

Would someone with knowledge give me some advice on buying a QAM
capable receiver (Samsung, LG, etc)with the likelihood that it will be
able to get the unencrypted local signals from Cablevision.

If not from cable, would I be able to pick up OTA NY channels with
this receiver using an indoor antenna. I'm about 15 miles West of NYC.

And please, if these are simple minded questions, you were a newbie
once too.

Thanks for any help.
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 9:37:45 PM

Pere wrote:

> Have a new HD set.
>
> For now would be satisfied with just getting the local channels in
> HiDef so am not now rushing to upgrade my cable service to digital.
>
> My cable company is Cablevision in the NY metro area.
>
> Would someone with knowledge give me some advice on buying a QAM
> capable receiver (Samsung, LG, etc)with the likelihood that it will be
> able to get the unencrypted local signals from Cablevision.

I can say that using A Samsung T-451 Digital receiver I can find
about half of the local HD unscrambled content from Time Warner
Wisc. that I know
exist on TWC Digital/HD... When I mess with QAM Cable/ I can
not
go OTA (Over The Air antenna) for my local HD (6 of 7 HD
Networks)
from the GBay, WI Tower Farm.

The T-451 Digital receiver does OTA very well from 12 miles away
using a Channel Master 3021 UHF 4 bay bow tie indoors...
I Use RG-6 dual shielded antenna Cable run...

> If not from cable, would I be able to pick up OTA NY channels with
> this receiver using an indoor antenna. I'm about 15 miles West of NYC.

Put your 9 digit ZIP Code in: http://www.antennaweb.org & select
Digital
TV option....

> And please, if these are simple minded questions, you were a newbie
> once too.
>
> Thanks for any help.
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 7:40:00 PM

> The T-451 Digital receiver does OTA very well from 12 miles away
> using a Channel Master 3021 UHF 4 bay bow tie indoors...
> I Use RG-6 dual shielded antenna Cable run...

Why do you use RG-6 dual shielded instead of quad shielded?
I have read others making the same statement before in this group.
Thanks.
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 10:14:07 PM

klaatu wrote:

> > The T-451 Digital receiver does OTA very well from 12 miles away
> > using a Channel Master 3021 UHF 4 bay bow tie indoors...
> > I Use RG-6 dual shielded antenna Cable run...
> >
> Why do you use RG-6 dual shielded instead of quad shielded?
> I have read others making the same statement before in this group.
> Thanks.

I posted that dual shielding note based upon 2 'Good' Time Warner
Techs

making the double shield quality recommendation due to the nature

of Very high frequency HD Cable Performance creating less

'signal reflectivity' within the RG-6 Cable runs....
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 6:34:13 AM

I think for Pere the question comes down to whether it's worth it to
buy a seperate receiver to get what free HD you can off of Cablevision.
The tradeoff is that after buying a STB, I don't think you will have
anything more than the locals. So, if you have a cable package where
you have HBO, CineMax, Showtime, Fox Sports, MSG, etc, you won't be
able to see those in HD. Plus, I would think you wind up with tuner
switching hassles, as you'll have to go back to the cablevision stb for
any encoded channels, then back to the other STB for free HD channels.
I think from a practical standpoint, Cablevision pretty much has you
boxed in. You might as well pay the $10-15 bucks a month more for
their STB and I/O. They also have a HD compativle PVR, that from what
I hear, is not nearly as functional or convenient as Tivo, but does
record HD and has basic functionality. Of course that's extra too.
!