Newbuilder1

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
Hi everyone. I was thinking of adding more memory but I have windows xp which is 32bit. Is there a version of windows xp that is 64bit?

bhalton26

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
Indeed, but I just found out that you will have to reformat your entire hard drive to install the 64bit XP. It's the only thing that is slowing me down from upgrading from x32 to x64.

bhalton26

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
I thought about that, but I still have a 2 year old Seagate 160GB IDE hard drive that just sitting around. Once my two Lite-ON DVD SATA Writers come in from Newegg, I can install the IDE HD cause my Motherboard only has one IDE port, but also have 5 extra SATA Ports thats open for use. I would use it for gamming, but I rather transfer my music and files to the IDE drive and install the new OS over the current x32. Getting tired of seeing the cftmon.exe error from time to time anyways. The only issue is that I will have to re-install all my programs and City of Heroes/Villians.

arkadi

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
i cant seeWhat 4 you need more than 3GB on XP? There is no point really, unless you use virtualization. Any way you have to know few things first. Your hardware support 64 bit OS? Can you find drivers for your scanner/printer/Webcam etc… do you use old software that may not work. Your computer got the juice, why XP? Vista 64 works much better.