Micklebring

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
The forum search tells me this has been raised before but then it says the thread doesn't exist. :(

I have a Belkin KVM with 3 computers on it. Occasionaly when switching between them, the mouse "dies" and so far the only fix I've found is to reboot the affected PC which is, to be quite honest, a pain.

Can anyone tell me of a way to reload the mouse drivers from a command line (or even driving the gui manually :) )?

G

I had the same problem with both a Belkin and a Linksys KVM. I finally gave up and just used a seperate mouse on each computer.

Grumpy

Rager'nother

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
I used run a Linksys KVM, SVIEW04 v.2, (4 comp, all electronic) with a PS/2 (cord to wireless) Logitech kb + mouse. It wasn't three weeks and I think the mouse simply stopped working. Broke. Kb worked fine.

I also tried a Belkin wireless optical mouse, this was several years ago, wouldn't function properly at all.

I think I mighta gone to a wired ball mouse. And never had any more difficulties. Reminds me, I gotta eBay the whole setup. ;)

Micklebring

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
I've got a MS Optical wired USB mouse. Don't really want to go back to a ball mouse. Had the same problem with a 2 port Belkin KVM. I can't believe there isn't some way to reset the mouse drivers from the command line tho'. Most depressing. :(

Rager'nother

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
I'm surely not an electronics guru, but I'm guessing the overall signal strength that a wireless, or optical mouse uses - just isn't sufficient to get through the KVM circuitry. (shrug)

So resetting mouse drivers probably isn't going to be a solution.

The other alternative is to use a mechanical KVM. But I wouldn't use one for any reason. With age the contacts can hang and cause serious hardware damage. I don't know *how much age* here, but I have read stories of trashed mobos.