I know nothing about linux and it is high time i learned

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
i am thinking about resurrecting an old computer and to save on costs, i am thinking of installing linux on it. i don't know anything about linux, but it is about time that i learned. anyone know of a good guide?

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Google would be your best bet. If you use something like Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, Mandriva, Debian, etc. (one of the more main-stream distro's) then you should be able to install and use it without any prior knowledge.

It kind of depends what you want to learn when it comes to guides. Most of the distribution's websites have great documentation that explain how to do most of the things that you'll want to know how to do, such as using the terminal, etc.

It also depends on what the old HW is. Some modern distributions of Linux need nearly as much power as a decent Win XP machine. If you could give us a rough outline of the HW you want to use and what sort of things you want to do and we can point you in the right direction.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009

amd athlon 64 x2, 1GB memory, nvidia 6150.

loneninja

Distinguished
I just installed Ubuntu on a socket 754 Sempon 3400, 2GB ram, nvidia 6100 and it's running fine. First time installing Linux on a computer excluding some virtual machine experience I've had with several variations of linux. I'd recommend Ubuntu, a lot of documentation online.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

Off the Ubuntu website:

Ubuntu Desktop Edition

* 1 GHz x86 processor
* 1 Gb of system memory (RAM)
* 15 GB of hard-drive space (although this can be split onto 2 drives, a 5Gb / and a 10Gb /home fairly easily)
* Graphics card and monitor capable of 1024 by 768
* Either a Cd/Dvd-drive or a Usb socket (or both)

Internet access is helpful

As you can see, you should have no issues running it on said computer :) More RAM couldn't hurt, but it will still run just fine.