New Vista 64 Install will not boot...Need HELP

jeffdawgfan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
I installed and have been using Vista 32 for over a year now. After Sp1 shipped I decided to update to Vista 64. I bought an new hard drive and installed Vista 64 and have it set up and running very well and stable. When I went to reformat the hard drive that had the Vista 32 version I discovered that when I installed Vista 64 with the other hard drive containing Vista 32 still in the computer the boot settings were not placed on new drive with Vista 64. If I remove the Vista 32 drive my new hard drive will not boot. How can I make the new Vista 64 hard drive bootable without having to re-install the whole schbang again. In other words, how do I transfer or install boot files onto the new hard drive so I can reformat old Vista 32 hard drive and put to different use.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

jeffdawgfan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
I am posting this solution to my own problem in case anyone else has same issue they can fix quickly. Thanks to Arkadi to pointing me in right direction.

I had Vista 32 installed on hard drive. I bought new hard drive and installed. I then installed Vista 64 on new hard drive. ( By the way, Vista 64 rocks if you have 8gb and turn page file off, then give pre-fetch a little learning time). My issue was the the boot manager was on the Vista 32 drive and I could not boot the new drive with Vista 64 without the old drive in system (I could not format and partition the old drive for a storage drive as desired.) Finally I discovered that if I took the Vista 32 drive out of the system (removed cable), booted to the 64 bit install CD, and let it repair the Vista 64 drive as if it had been damaged it fixed the problem. I booted to Vista 64 drive once, shutdown, re-installed old drive and then booted back up I could partion and format old drive. Problem fixed. I now have Vista 64 running on a primary drive with a 250gb storage drive as I had desired. Hopefully if anyone else has this problem this will help.

If you have newer hardware and 8gb memory I highly recommend Vista 64. After SP1 most of the issues seem to have been resolved. For any that are curious my system is:

Asus P5KE-Wifi MB, Q6600 CPU (@ 3.29 ghz), 8gb Patriot Viper Memory, Gigabyte 8800GT, 650W Kingwin PSU, SB X-Fi, Tuniq Tower Cooler, 320 and 250 gb Seagates.

james0622

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

HI Jeff

I have the same problem but have Vista 64 on two drives.
The bigger one has no boot.
I want to get rid of the small one because The Vista got damage and the control panel just did not want to show up any more. I tried to fix with what they said would work but it never did.
More stuff like that happened.
So I got another bigger drive.
Install the hard drive and told it to make it bootable when Installing Vista.
So I removed the old drive and did the bios change to boot from the new drive. It would not boot.
I put the smaller one back in and I could boot to the new drive. Take it out and no boot.

The big Question is did you have any problems whit method of fixing the problem in your system?

? When you removed the old drive and did the repair from your Vista CD. Did it change any of the files. Like removed your desktop setting or your any new programs installed. Where they missing or any chances like that happen?

TRENDING THREADS