Safe overclock?

DCorbett

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
Hi Tom's Hardware Forumz,

Recently, I received a great deal of aid in designing a computer. It was good advice, and the finished product sits next to me right now (I'm posting from it, after all!)

Now, the time has come to consider overclocking it - it's been a few weeks and everything seems to work fine (other than that core 1 seems usually a bit hotter than core 2) and I'd like to know the best way to do it.

Here's the fundamentals.

I have an E6600 Core 2 Duo. I believe it to be from batch A, if that means anything. I have the case on me, so if you can tell me to look, I can check. I just know the only letter in a relevant looking position was an A. Core Temp 0.95 suggests that it's a revision B2, if that matters. Apparently, it's presently running at 400.00 x 6.0.

I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 motherboard.

I have 2GB of Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 DD2-800MHz RAM.

I have a Zalman 9700 CPNS fan and its stock thermal grease. (No, it's not the copper one, but the pitch-black one with the green LED. It was the only one they had at the store. Newegg doesn't ship to where I live.)

It all sits in an Antec 900 case, with a Corsair HX 620W power supply.

I'd like to do a moderate, non-extreme overclock with extremely minimal risk of damage, and I'm wondering what sort of things I'd have to do to achieve that, et cetera. I understand there are some programs to acquire, like Orthos, and that you need to do some memory testing, but unfortunately I don't understand that much. Could you please help me out? I'm also not certain what to do.

Oh, and if there are any good guides out there someone would like to link me to rather than posting, I would really appreciate it.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Set:
FSB 334
MCH to +.1v
FSB +.1v
Mem div 2.5x
mem 4-4-4-12
Mem V +.3 or maybe +.4v
Turn off C1E and any extra unused ports like the paralled and serial ports.

Hell just go read the C2D overclocking guide by wusy. It has everything you need to know. And what is doesnt have is for you to experiment with.

I recomment taking a 2-pin connector and wiring an external bois reset switch. It will save you alot of time being able to just reach over and push a button rather than opening your case and removing the battery every 6 minutes.