Riven by Broderbund

About 5 years ago I bought a game from Broderbund called "Riven, Sequel to
Mist"

I had it on a windows 98 machine and just never got to play it much and
stored it for about 4 years. I loaded it on my XP machine and it loaded fine
but will not open. I am running XP Sp2 and just wondering if there is
something I did wrong in loading it, if there is something I can do to get
it to open on the XP machine or if the program will even run under WindowsXP

Thanks

Luckeyo

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"luckeyo" <star35@vcn.com> wrote in message
> About 5 years ago I bought a game from Broderbund called "Riven,
> Sequel to Mist"
>
> I had it on a windows 98 machine and just never got to play it much
> and stored it for about 4 years. I loaded it on my XP machine and it
> loaded fine but will not open. I am running XP Sp2 and just wondering
> if there is something I did wrong in loading it, if there is something
> I can do to get it to open on the XP machine or if the program will
> even run under WindowsXP

Read the side of the box. Does it say that it support ANY of the
NT-based version of Windows? It lists support for Windows 95. It might
run on Windows 98. Maybe it runs on Windows ME. But Windows
NT4/2000/XP? Probably not. You could try running it under a
compatibility mode to see if you can get it working.

** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.

Actually, I have Riven installed and running just fine in a WinXPw/SP2
environment. I would suggest that luckeyo try using compatibility mode
first. Failing that, he/she may need to set appropriate permissions on the
program folder itself.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

<Vanguard> wrote in message news:%2316MthLWFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> "luckeyo" <star35@vcn.com> wrote in message
>> About 5 years ago I bought a game from Broderbund called "Riven, Sequel
>> to Mist"
>>
>> I had it on a windows 98 machine and just never got to play it much and
>> stored it for about 4 years. I loaded it on my XP machine and it loaded
>> fine but will not open. I am running XP Sp2 and just wondering if there
>> is something I did wrong in loading it, if there is something I can do to
>> get it to open on the XP machine or if the program will even run under
>> WindowsXP
>

> Read the side of the box. Does it say that it support ANY of the NT-based
> version of Windows? It lists support for Windows 95. It might run on
> Windows 98. Maybe it runs on Windows ME. But Windows NT4/2000/XP?
> Probably not. You could try running it under a compatibility mode to see
> if you can get it working.

> ** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
> For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.

Ditto

> Actually, I have Riven installed and running just fine in a WinXPw/SP2
> environment. I would suggest that luckeyo try using compatibility mode
> first. Failing that, he/she may need to set appropriate permissions on the
> program folder itself.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> <Vanguard> wrote in message
>> "luckeyo" <star35@vcn.com> wrote in message
>>> About 5 years ago I bought a game from Broderbund called "Riven, Sequel
>>> to Mist"
>>>
>>> I had it on a windows 98 machine and just never got to play it much and
>>> stored it for about 4 years. I loaded it on my XP machine and it loaded
>>> fine but will not open. I am running XP Sp2 and just wondering if there
>>> is something I did wrong in loading it, if there is something I can do
>>> to get it to open on the XP machine or if the program will even run
>>> under WindowsXP
>>

>> Read the side of the box. Does it say that it support ANY of the
>> NT-based version of Windows? It lists support for Windows 95. It might
>> run on Windows 98. Maybe it runs on Windows ME. But Windows
>> NT4/2000/XP? Probably not. You could try running it under a
>> compatibility mode to see if you can get it working.
>>
>> --
>> ** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
>> For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.

Just in case Luckeyo does not know how to set the compatibility.

Right click the game icon, Properties, Compatibility, then put a check in
"Run this program............"