I need someone to hold my hand for this build PART 2:

Phaze

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
On Friday I ordered the following:

Power Supply
Seasonic S12 Energy +550W ATX12V V2.2 20/24 PIN Active PFC Power Supply

Mobo
Gigagbyte GA-965P-S3 ATX LGA775 Conroe P965 DDR2 PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 GBLAN

CPU
Intel Core 2 DUO E4300 Dual Core Processo LGA775 1.8ghz 800fsb

Video Card
EVGA E-Geforce 8800 GTS 500MHZ 320MB 1.6GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV HDCP DirectX10

Ram
G.SKill F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ PC2-6400 2GB 2X1gb DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Dual Channel

HDD
WD1200BB/JB 7200 RPM (I had this HDD from my old computer) It is already formatted.

Case
Cooler Master CAC-T05 Centurion 5 Aluminum ATX Tower Case 5x5.25 1X3.5 4X3.5 INT Silver-Black

All ordered from NCIX.Com

My computer will arrive sometime between Tuesday and Friday.

What I would like to know is, what are the top 10 mistakes noobs make when putting together a computer for the first time.

I want everything that I might do wrong lingering in the back of my mind when I put this thing together.

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
What I would like to know is, what are the top 10 mistakes noobs make when putting together a computer for the first time.

1. They don't read the motherboard (and other) manuals until they are virtually memorized.

2. They mess up installation of the hsf and/or thermal paste.

3. They don't know how to set up thier BIOS correctly, see #1.

4. They plug something in the wrong spot, or neglect to plug something in, see #1.

5. They don't use standoffs, or use them incorrectly, see #1.

Can't think of anything else ATM, it's really pretty easy, as long as you do #1.

adnoto

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Phaze doesn't have to be a "girl" in order to request that someone "hold his/her hand" through the process. It is a common turn of phrase and quite a humble, honest and funny one at that. Made me laugh out loud when I saw the thread title. It also made me want to help if I could but unfortunately I am a noob to PC assembly also. I know there are a wide range of ages found here on these forums and sometimes "expert," especially in this field, has nothing to do with age. As an "old guy" who will be building his first computer tomorrow I would also appreciate someone "holding my hand" through the process. Everyone has to start somewhere and at least Phaze is smart enough to request help. :)

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
You shouldn't have any big problems putting everything together than what's mentioned here already. Just make sure you ground yourself as you're putting the entire thing together so you don't fry something. I look at computers as if they're nothing more than a giant Lego set. Tab A only fits into Slot B. The only difference: you can fry this Lego set pretty easily. The most common thing I've seen is incorrect placement of motherboard standoffs, and that could keep your system from powering up by grounding somewhere. Make sure you place those right, and it should be smooth sailing.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
If your installing XP or Vista, don't register the key until you have everything installed and all the updates and drivers setup.

Ohh, and Like cutthroat said RTFM, if you still have a problem please don't hesitate to post.

Phaze

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
Thanks for the replies.

I have no doubt in my mind that I can put 90% of the computer together by reading the manuals. The problem I have is when I started reading this forum and I hear of computers not turning on because they screwed their motherboard in too tight. Their computer is beeping and it is telling them one thing and doing another. It is the little things that I want to be on the look-out for.

And to Chuckshissle: I would rather have people baby me through the process than to put it together and find out I made a stupid mistake that could have prevented simply by asking. If you don't ask the questions, how do you ever expect to learn...dun dun dun.

My next set of questions are: In what order do I put everything together and when do I install this and that?

For example. After everything is out of the boxes...do I put the CPU on the MOBO then put the mobo into the case. Or do I put the mobo on, then attach the CPU?

When do I install the newest bios? I am guessing before I install the OS?

I think I am good with software, so if I can get to INSTALLING THE OS I am clear of any danger.

I am sure this part I will learn from reading the manuals, but it is nice to have something to compare your knowledge with.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
My next set of questions are: In what order do I put everything together and when do I install this and that?
If the Computer needs in in there for you to boot it up and see what you are doing, go ahead and install it, but don't install anything you don't need to get it boot up and install the OS. This will let you sort out the problems before you add more. (Install the video card, you're main hard drive, CPU, PSU, RAM, and at least one optical drive. Don't forget your keyboard mouse and monitor when you get ready to turn it on.)
For example. After everything is out of the boxes...do I put the CPU on the MOBO then put the mobo into the case. Or do I put the mobo on, then attach the CPU?
My Manual told me to install the mobo into the case before installing the cpu and hsf, but I had to take it out of the case to do that properly, so....
When do I install the newest bios? I am guessing before I install the OS?
You can install the new Bios before or after the OS. In fact many Mobos have a utility that lets you update the bios in your OS.
I think I am good with software, so if I can get to INSTALLING THE OS I am clear of any danger.
answer to first question.
I am sure this part I will learn from reading the manuals, but it is nice to have something to compare your knowledge with.
Like I said, if you run into a problem, please post it. Just make sure that you connect the power correctly, that tends to the most overlooked mistake

Phaze

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
When I plug everything in and let's say I plug something in wrong, will my computer be okay as long as I don't turn it on? What I was thinking of doing was putting the computer together, creating a lot of pictures and have you guys do a scan of it to see if I made any mistakes.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
When I plug everything in and let's say I plug something in wrong, will my computer be okay as long as I don't turn it on? What I was thinking of doing was putting the computer together, creating a lot of pictures and have you guys do a scan of it to see if I made any mistakes.

it won't hurt anything. The last computer I built I plugged something in the wrong place, and it didn't hurt the system at all even when I plugged it in. It's kinda hard to plug something in that will kill your system.