PROBLEM, need help...

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
My dad recently noticed that my old dell dimension 4550 (which I have modded btw) was not displaying anything on the monitor.
So, I took a look at it and determined that my Sapphire x800 GTO AGP gfx card is the culprit. When I turn on the system, the gpu fan goes to max when it is usually dropped down within a few seconds to 40% at most.
Now, it will NOT display diddly squat on two different monitors on two different ports (dvi and vga). the other issue is the computer is not loading windows at all. I believe it's doing nothing and the hard drive light stays lit....

Luckily, i have the old mx 420 that came with it. But, i would prefer to have the gto in it.

this system has:
p4 @2.4ghz
1280 mb ram (256 original, 1024 mb newer stick)
a 420 watt psu (upgraded from a dell psu)
Sapphire x800 gto (upgraded from an old mx 420)

Now i know this system is four years old, but it works fine for my parents. I am going to check tomorrow on any warranty from sapphire on the card. And I did buy the card from newegg. I don't know what warranty (if any ) it has, but I will check..

I can and will test the gto on another computer (friend's), but until now, does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you soooo much...

T

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Does the machine work if the GeForce MX420 is put back in?

Yes, it does. I am going to try uninstalling the ATI drivers and popping in the gto and then re installing the drivers. Otherwise, if taht doesn't work, I will have to stick with the mx 420 for now...I don't like having a pitiful card in there though...

i guess what I'm asking for is any knowledge in diagnosing the video card. I have had it over a year since I bought it off of newegg (bought in april 4, 2006) so the 'egg's warranty is done for...:(

I guess, I will be looking for another card then if the gto is dead.
Any suggestions on that?

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
It's possible the card can be returned to the manufacturer depending on their warranty coverage. You might want to look in that direction, assuming you haven't "modded" the X800GTO in anyway that might have voided the mfg's warranty.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
It's possible the card can be returned to the manufacturer depending on their warranty coverage. You might want to look in that direction, assuming you haven't "modded" the X800GTO in anyway that might have voided the mfg's warranty.

Well, I have unlocked the extra 4 pipelines on the card (so it's basically an x800 xl or something)...I have checked Sapphire's site, and nothing....they have nothing other than support boards which I will try once I have time...

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Ok, i have tested the card without ati drivers (xp stock) and it did not show any screen....it's screwed i think...
:(

So, what are some good cards for agp? I think I hate Ati right now and would like to go with Nvidia on this one. I was looking at either a 7300 gt, 7600gs, or 7600gt. I know the latter of the three is more powerful, but the 7300 gt looks like it would work well since I only need a dx9 card (the mx 420 is like dx 8 or something...) and My parents don't do anything heavy....
However, my parents are willing to pay for a new card...so, spending $160 might be an option...

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
IIRC, your unlock voided the Sapphire warranty so you've limited your options.

To be honest, I'd look at eBay. There's lots of older gen AGP cards at decent prices that would still be a better choice for your money. ATI X800 series cards are strong performers. I don't really know why you would "hate" them. If you blame this incident for it then you should really look no further than yourself. You modded the card which means you take the risk that goes with it. That risk includes early failure.

Regardless, there are plenty of 6800GTs and Ultras (fear 6800XTs) on eBay right along with X800Pros, GTOs, XLs and XTs. Anyone of them would compliment that system nicely.

Gundam1s

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Wow, Ebay does seem to be a good place to buy from.

I just checked and theres a 6800 Ultra for $143 shipped, but in used condition.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I guess that I am not quite so biased with Ati, it's just that I was still a little frustrated with the fact that the card died... besides, wouldn't you be mad if you spent $175 on a card that eventually croaked? or your cpu?
I don't hate Ati (even though that's what I said)...but I do like Nvidia better for some reason. the gto was my first of three (now four) cards that is Ati branded.

When I modded the extra 4 piplines on the core, I did not think that doing so would possibly cause the card to croak. I guess I was wrong. Besides, it survived over a year modded to 16 pipelines.

I think my parents want me to order the new card tonight, so I will be buying an eVga 7600 GS for about $110.
ebay is an option, but I just checked their agp 7600 gs cards (along with the x800 series) and those are more expensive than the one off of newegg.

Other than that, is there any possibility that I could get an rma? or does that deal with the warranty? (I believe the latter is true...)

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I guess that I am not quite so biased with Ati, it's just that I was still a little frustrated with the fact that the card died... besides, wouldn't you be mad if you spent $175 on a card that eventually croaked? or your cpu?
I don't hate Ati (even though that's what I said)...but I do like Nvidia better for some reason. the gto was my first of three (now four) cards that is Ati branded.

When I modded the extra 4 piplines on the core, I did not think that doing so would possibly cause the card to croak. I guess I was wrong. Besides, it survived over a year modded to 16 pipelines.

I think my parents want me to order the new card tonight, so I will be buying an eVga 7600 GS for about $110.
ebay is an option, but I just checked their agp 7600 gs cards (along with the x800 series) and those are more expensive than the one off of newegg.

Other than that, is there any possibility that I could get an rma? or does that deal with the warranty? (I believe the latter is true...)