Sign in with
Your question

another reason i hate mac

Last response: in Memory
May 15, 2007 1:36:25 AM

I went to buy my wife some ram for her iMac G5 and the 2gig stick is only $1200

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleS...

ummm... wtf :evil:  I just don't like apple computers... :) 

More about : reason hate mac

May 15, 2007 1:43:49 AM

Macs are poor excuses for computers.

They appeal to the video editing, ipod listening, anti-gaming ppl who hate Microsoft Word so much that they dont even want the option to ever have it installed.
May 15, 2007 2:02:41 AM

yep.. $1200 for ddr2 533... i could build a decent pc for what they are charging for 1 stick of ram hehe....
Related resources
May 15, 2007 2:33:06 AM

Ouch. I thought the FB-DIMMs for my dual Xeon were expensive... lol
May 15, 2007 2:54:04 AM

You forgot to mention they look girly too :twisted:
May 15, 2007 2:58:50 AM

Insane!
Admittedly, 2GB sticks are usually relatively more costly than 1GB sticks but Jesus!!!
Even the 1GB stick 533 which is "normal" size is way too much, $200 - I recently bought 4 sticks of 1GB 800 (2 x 2GB dual channel kits) for a total of exactly that price after mailin rebate.
May 15, 2007 3:07:36 AM

Quote:

They appeal to the video editing, ipod listening, anti-gaming ppl who hate Microsoft Word so much that they dont even want the option to ever have it installed.

I game, and I have Office 2003 installed on my Mac with OSX Tiger. So ha.

Back on track, try out TigerDirect of MacMall or Newegg for some cheaper mac memory. I just found 4 gb of dual channel DDR2 PC5400 mac memory for $500. I think that price in the Apple store is a typo because if you upgrade to 2gb when you order a mac it is only $250.
May 15, 2007 3:12:04 AM

What is so special about "Mac" memory anyway? What are the timings on those guys?
Wouldn't "ordinary" non-Mac brand memory work? (I somehow find it hard to believe if Apple can actually control that too, but on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if they did, as they do with everything else)...
May 15, 2007 3:15:08 AM

Quote:
Shipping is free

Haha, WOWW!!!!
May 15, 2007 3:40:15 AM

nothing is different unless you gots a mac pro. Thats a whole nother world man....
May 15, 2007 3:44:38 AM

Quote:
nothing is different unless you gots a mac pro. Thats a whole nother world man....

Then why the heck spend more money on memory. Even the deal boogityboo04 mentions (2x2GB/5400 for $500) you can get a better deal, i.e OCZ for $360 or a pqi for $250 at Newegg.

I'm really curious - what are the timings on those Mac memory sticks? What makes them so special compared to other high quality memory?
May 15, 2007 3:44:39 AM

Quote:

I game, and I have Office 2003 installed on my Mac with OSX Tiger. So ha.

hmm, WOW does not count, any other games? mabye 1 or 2...
May 15, 2007 3:47:23 AM

There is plenty of good manufacturer that have Mac ready memory. In fact, there is no such thing as Apple memory. Apple recommend strict specifications and if you find stick that are within spec, you're good.

Quote:

Well, matter of taste I guess. I wished more PC case company would had similar girlish case as the Mac Pro.
May 15, 2007 3:48:56 AM

you meen the cheesegrater :p 
May 15, 2007 3:50:34 AM

Quote:
I wished more PC case company would had similar girlish case as the Mac Pro.

I agree that many "PC" cases are ugly, but who to blame?
On the other hand, while Mac cases are usually rather snassy looking when they come out, they tend to become ugly as fashion changes... I still remember the toilet seat looking Mac notebook (don't recall the model - it was green, cear plastic). Ouch, that really DOES look like a toilet seat!
May 15, 2007 3:59:30 AM

I am rocking a MacBook Pro

Core 2 Duo, Ati x1600 2gb ram

My sig rig is for gaming, and my MacBook Pro sits right beside it for virus free web surfing, Microsoft Office and all the Adobe Video Editing and Art Suites :) 

I <3 my mac :) 
May 15, 2007 4:00:19 AM

Quote:
I wished more PC case company would had similar girlish case as the Mac Pro.

I agree that many "PC" cases are ugly, but who to blame?
On the other hand, while Mac cases are usually rather snassy looking when they come out, they tend to become ugly as fashion changes... I still remember the toilet seat looking Mac notebook (don't recall the model - it was green, cear plastic). Ouch, that really DOES look like a toilet seat!

I agree. This clamshell was damn ugly, as was some of the old iMac. But most recent designs are just too classic to share the same faith. The MacBook, pro and non-pro, and the MacPro won't look silly in 5 years, I'm pretty sure of that.

The fact that the MacPro design haven't change in years now (at least from the outside) pretty much demonstrate that.
May 15, 2007 4:10:34 AM

Quote:
... and my MacBook Pro sits right beside it for virus free web surfing...

Don't get it, care to explain??
May 15, 2007 4:14:02 AM

Since Macs have only a few percent market share, nobody bothers to write any viruses/malware/worms/etc targeted at Macs.
May 15, 2007 4:32:00 AM

Quote:
Since Macs have only a few percent market share, nobody bothers to write any viruses/malware/worms/etc targeted at Macs.

Right. So as long as nobody buys them, they should be safe :lol: 
May 15, 2007 4:39:16 AM

Quote:
There is plenty of good manufacturer that have Mac ready memory. In fact, there is no such thing as Apple memory. Apple recommend strict specifications and if you find stick that are within spec, you're good.

Well, matter of taste I guess. I wished more PC case company would had similar girlish case as the Mac Pro.

You're right. It is a matter of taste.

Myself, I'd much rather have a Falcon Mach V, a Voodoo OMEN or a new Commodore.

http://www.commodoregaming.com/pcshop/Home.aspx
May 15, 2007 4:57:09 AM

Quote:
Insane!
Admittedly, 2GB sticks are usually relatively more costly than 1GB sticks but Jesus!!!
Even the 1GB stick 533 which is "normal" size is way too much, $200 - I recently bought 4 sticks of 1GB 800 (2 x 2GB dual channel kits) for a total of exactly that price after mailin rebate.

It's Apple, what did you expect :p 

As for PC cases, if you don't like what's available then just build your own.
May 15, 2007 5:06:02 AM

Quote:
Insane!

It's Apple, what did you expect :p 

As for PC cases, if you don't like what's available then just build your own.

This is exactly what I do. Not because I can't find good case that I like in what's available, but because I like to do it.

There is beautiful PC case out there. But a lot are poorly built, badly designed and doesn't push innovation.
June 29, 2007 9:28:50 PM

Quote:

Absolute nonsense.

Write a PC virus and nobody cares because it disappears into the mire with the other thousands.

Write a Mac virus that seriously damages OS X and you'll be infamous.
June 29, 2007 10:48:22 PM

Quote:

I think it's just because they think mac users are suffering enough already

Some might try to say that macs are more secure, but sorry, it's been proven that osx is less secure than xp :) 

Kinda says something about the mac userbase when they can get away with charging them $1200 for something that's worth $200 tops.
a b } Memory
June 29, 2007 11:35:33 PM

I LOVE THESE "I HATE Macs/Apple" threads. :lol:  :D  8O :twisted: :evil: 

(7:29 Pacific Time) The Apple store is down due to the fact that they are busy updating the Apple store for the upcoming iPhone(Screen Shot.)**Note the iPhone [ Honestly they seriously got to drop the "i" from most of the things they use, iPhone, iMac, iTV, iPod, what next iOS??]

I agree with most people who hate Macs, their computers are wayyy to expensive, i bet even Bill Gates don't own one :lol:  . I could build a better PC with the $1200 for RAM. The only thing that is "good" is their OS which is better than Windows, but then again Linux is still the best.

PS: LOL on the video.
June 29, 2007 11:56:51 PM

I've loved my iMac. Haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood). I like KDE over OS X, now that I have become accustomed to it. That'll probably be the only reason I won't buy an Apple next time. The only reason I would want an Apple is for the iLife suite. iDVD and iMovie are very nice consumer products, for those like myself who don't need every bit of functionality in video software. Actually, I wouldn't know what to do with all the bells and whistles if they were available.

Oh, by the way, it's not iTV, it's AppleTV. :D  Apple got busted for that one. :) 
June 29, 2007 11:58:26 PM

yeah i love that....look for the one(mac vs pc and i think it was vs linux :)  ) with Ushut :) 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Is it real :?: I mean what the guys says? I've never thought it's that bad, Mac that is. I'm really relieved that I didn't learn multimedia at somewhere that uses Macs :wink:
June 30, 2007 12:00:53 AM

yeah i love that....look for the one(mac vs pc and i think it was vs linux :)  ) with Ushut :) 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Is it real :?: I mean what the guys says? I've never thought it's that bad, Mac that is. I'm really relieved that I didn't learn multimedia at somewhere that uses Macs :wink:

Back in OS 7 & 8, yeah there were some real pains. OS 9.2 and OS X don't seem to have that as much any more.
June 30, 2007 12:05:26 AM

Macs are for yuppies, and not the clever kind.
June 30, 2007 12:10:38 AM

Quote:

Hmmm... If you really knew me, you'd hardly call me a yuppy. :) 

How can anyone, regardless of which side they are on, call the other one unclever based solely on the computer architecture?

It's like saying, well, you don't live in a fancy neighborhood, drive car XYZ, or drink ABC cola, so you're not smart.
June 30, 2007 12:15:08 AM

Order it from Kingston....
June 30, 2007 12:32:24 AM

Sorry i did not read the rest of the topic, you were the last reply button.

Price/performance...
June 30, 2007 12:38:04 AM

Quote:
Sorry i did not read the rest of the topic, you were the last reply button.

Price/performance...

Oh I see... I've been used... :lol: 
June 30, 2007 12:56:03 AM

Macs are good for 2 things.

Logic
Final cut pro.

The rest you can do with linux.

I don't see the point of buying a mac for "Surfing" when you can spend half the money and just use linux, which is essentially what OSX is.
June 30, 2007 1:22:24 AM

Quote:

Hmmm... If you really knew me, you'd hardly call me a yuppy. :) 

How can anyone, regardless of which side they are on, call the other one unclever based solely on the computer architecture?

It's like saying, well, you don't live in a fancy neighborhood, drive car XYZ, or drink ABC cola, so you're not smart.

I think it's because mac users are buying a trendy overpriced product that's incompatible with most software out there, and difficult(and expensive) to upgrade.

Now that they dropped PPC the only thing they have going for them is the OS, and there's plenty of Linux distro's that are far better.

I use Ubuntu x64 and I couldn't be happier, then I run vmware for windows and a few other os's
June 30, 2007 1:39:15 AM

Quote:
I think it's because mac users are buying a trendy overpriced product that's incompatible with most software out there, and difficult(and expensive) to upgrade.

While they may be overpriced, it may be very compatible with their needs. For example, my wife could use Windows, Linux, or OS X, as she only does office documents, email, and web browsing. Her preference is the Mac, as she feels comfortable with it.

For the upgrade piece, you've hit the nail on the head. Some of it is expensive to upgrade, but for drives and memory, I always went 3rd party, as it's much cheaper. The price is what keeps me from buying another. I spent $2k on the iMac 17" flat panel when it was new, and I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money now. I hear the new iMac is fairly upgradable, in reference to drives and memory. As for CPU, I really don't stress the CPU at all, and my guess is most Mac users don't as well (pro users excluded here), and that's why they don't care about the upgradability. They just want it to work.
June 30, 2007 2:03:18 AM

djgandy said:
Quote:
Macs are good for 2 things.

Logic
Final cut pro.

The rest you can do with linux. Macs are good for 2 things.

Are you kidding me, you can run final cut pro and logic using wine. Or you can setup a windows xp using WMware and run it from there.

Macs: if you bought a mac just for virus free internet surfing then i suggest this to you,
1. sell your mac to some newb
2. get a pentium 2 or similar obsolete machine for under 10$.
3. order 100 ubuntu, kubuntu (KDE) and xubuntu (x face, for really low end machines)
4. take the hard drive out of the obsolete machine and smash it.
5. get a 52x cd rom
6. you're good for absolutely virus free internet and you just earned yourself 1k$.
June 30, 2007 2:12:09 AM

Quote:

Unless mac's ram standards have changed you can use a sick of pc compatible ram. You just need to check the type of memory that mac takes.
June 30, 2007 2:17:02 AM

Quote:

Unless mac's ram standards have changed you can use a sick of pc compatible ram. You just need to check the type of memory that mac takes.

Nope, 3rd party works:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=iMac+...

$125 for 2GB stick. OP needs to shop around a bit; the same way you avoid going to the dealer for accessories.
June 30, 2007 2:21:44 AM

I would say they are $200 because

They are PC533mhz latencies 1-1-1-1
Overclockeable memories to 1000Mhz (at minimum)
June 30, 2007 2:34:54 AM

Or you could browse the internet on your PS3/PSP/Nintendo Wii/Nintendo DS if you're afraid of viruses.
June 30, 2007 3:12:50 AM

definitely make sure to shop around, I was looking at memory for my laptop and just for shiz and giggles I was looking at the much higher end 3 gig, 4 gig. Tigerdirect has memory from crucial that was 3 gigs (1-1gig stick, 1-2gig stick) for 199.99. So if you can get notebook memory that cheap, I guarantee the desktop stuff has gotta be cheaper. Oh, and that memory was specifically called "Mac Memory" because it follows the standards for the new macbook and MB pro.
June 30, 2007 11:17:20 AM

This is turning into a bit of a Mac vs PC thing (as it inevitably does), but most people form their opinion from never even being within 10 yards of a Mac at any point in their life.

I've always used PCs, building a new one every couple of years or so. This was throughout college and university, throughout which I studied graphic design. So I'd spend most of my time on my PC and the rest on Macs.

Now I'm an employed graphic designer, so I've spent the last 3 years on a Mac 8 hours a day. Evenings and weekends I'd use the PC.

So I think I'm in a good position to make a non-biased appraisal.

Yes Macs are expensive, and yes they do need updating internally, especially if you're talking about ganes (although upgrades are coming in the next month or so apparently). You do get what you pay for though - a fantastic TFT, custom designed integrated machine with real quality. None of your tacky PC cases with flashing neon lights (what is this - Pimp My Ride?)
So yes, they're pricey but then again they do cost more to manufacture - you're paying for a BMW, not a Ford here. And there's probably a big mark up on them, but there's a big mark up on a Bang and Olufsen, or a Mercedes.

Remember that they hold their value too. When it gets out of date in 3 years, stick the iMac on ebay and you'll get a hefty proportion of the next machine. An old 733Mhz G4 PowerMac we had a work sold on ebay for £300. You can buy a new iMac for £700.

I quite liked Windows Vista at first, but after a couple of months it has become more and more infuriating. It really is XP with bells and whistles and the sam nagging OS - Windows Defender isn't up to date, AVG wants to update etc etc. Instead of making it so it's secure but transparent to the user, it's the same OS riddles with holes but patched up with gimmicks.

Which is why I'm putting the PC on ebay, and using the proceeds towards buying a new iMac in the next couple of months and dual booting it, only using Windows for games.
June 30, 2007 12:10:31 PM

oh they ship it for free, how nice of them :lol: 
!