Can you use the full version to do an upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwilson

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
I have searched high and low and have not been able to come up with an accurate answer to this.

I have an existing instalation of XP pro. I have the FULL version of Vista 64 bit Ultimate.

I CAN'T do a clean install, I need to perform an upgrade from one to the other.
I have no choice in the matter, please don't ask!

Using the full version DVD I have - the "upgrade" option is blacked out and unavailable.
It is unavailable both ways either loading from windows XP or booting from the Vista DVD.

Is there a way to force an upgrade of the existing XP pro to Vista using the DVD that I have?

In the past you were able to use either the upgrade version or the full version of any Windows OS
to perform an upgrade OR a clean install with a little tweaking.

Can this still be done with Vista? I DO NOT want to buy a new drive

Solution
you can't "upgrade" a 32bit OS to a 64bit one, even if you had vista 32bit and wanted to upgrade to vista 64bit, you can't simply upgrade.

this situation is different from the past because there's a fundamental difference between 32bit and 64bit OSes.

i'm sure there might be a workaround, even though you said that you "CAN'T" do a clean install. but in the end, if you absolutely "CAN'T" then your only other option is to use 32bit vista.....

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
you can't "upgrade" a 32bit OS to a 64bit one, even if you had vista 32bit and wanted to upgrade to vista 64bit, you can't simply upgrade.

this situation is different from the past because there's a fundamental difference between 32bit and 64bit OSes.

i'm sure there might be a workaround, even though you said that you "CAN'T" do a clean install. but in the end, if you absolutely "CAN'T" then your only other option is to use 32bit vista.....

Solution
At the Kernel level, the operating systems are completely different. So you can not "upgrade" an XP installation to Vista 64 bit. No shortcuts, no workarounds, no hacks. The answer is "No".

If you want/need to have your XP installation and data unmolestificated, then you will either need to partition the existing hard drive, or buy another. Vista will be able to see the old partition/drive and read/write to it.

Since you aren't able/willing to buy a new hard drive, the solution is create a partition for Vista on the old one and install to that.

edwilson

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
ok so being unable to go from 32bit to 64bit makes sense I suppose..
the duel partition option may work for me as a migration tool though.

I have never done a duel boot from one phsyical disk however. Will I be able to "see" the XP partition from inside Vista?

If so, that would enable me to move my files over and then eventually do away with xp and the old partition entirely. does this sound like a viable option?

Quoted for truth - check to make sure the new partition is clean before you set it up.

edwilson

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
update - well i made my xp partition smaller - 1/2 the drive, and went ahead and added another partition and installed vista64 on it. All seems well so far.

I had to do about a billion updates, including some REALLY important ones for my SLi setup and the 4GB RAM patch. Also was able to d/l and instal SP1 as well.

After some initial testing seems about the same as XP pro for me. plus now I have full access to all 4Gb of my RAM and my 2 512MB 8800GT cards.

DX10 here we come..

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007

*sarcasm warning ON - for the humor impaired*

scotteq, you've never heard of the MAGIC 64bit XP disc? apparently not. haha. that cd has a super version of windows XP 64 that magically doubles your physical memory, and makes all your hdds run at 15,000rpm. and what's best, it NEVER crashes! =)

*sarcasm warning OFF - back to reality*

^i agree with scotteq, he lied...haha

Status
Not open for further replies.