Are there Cingular pre-paid SIMs out there?

Hello,

I've been looking at getting an unlocked GSM phone so that I can use it both
in the U.S. and overseas. In the U.S. I'd be in Madison, Wisconsin, and the
pre-paid SIM cards I find for the U.S. seem to be for T-Mobile, which
doesn't cover Madison... whereas Cingular does.

So... are there pre-paid SIMs out there for Cingular? I'm finding on
WalMart's site that there are 'recharge' cards available, so apparently one
way or another Cingular is engaged in pre-paid cellular.

Thanks,
---Joel Kolstad
26 answers Last reply
More about cingular paid sims there

    If you don't mind a Connecticut number, I have 3 sim cards from when
    before we upgraded

    www.kickonline.com

    On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 13:34:31 -0800, "Joel Kolstad"
    <JKolstad71HatesSpam@Yahoo.Com> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I've been looking at getting an unlocked GSM phone so that I can use it both
    >in the U.S. and overseas. In the U.S. I'd be in Madison, Wisconsin, and the
    >pre-paid SIM cards I find for the U.S. seem to be for T-Mobile, which
    >doesn't cover Madison... whereas Cingular does.
    >
    >So... are there pre-paid SIMs out there for Cingular? I'm finding on
    >WalMart's site that there are 'recharge' cards available, so apparently one
    >way or another Cingular is engaged in pre-paid cellular.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >---Joel Kolstad

    Sorry, meant ...

    www.kiconline.net

    <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry, meant ...
    >
    > www.kiconline.net

    Thanks for the response. There isn't much to that web site if you're not
    already a customer, though! In particular, I don't see anywhere where
    they'll sell you a SIM card???

    ---Joel

    "Joel Kolstad" <JKolstad71HatesSpam@Yahoo.Com> wrote in message
    > <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > Sorry, meant ...
    > >
    > > www.kiconline.net
    >
    > Thanks for the response. There isn't much to that web site if you're not
    > already a customer, though! In particular, I don't see anywhere where
    > they'll sell you a SIM card???

    Have you tried walking into a store???

    That's what most intelligent, hell even semi-intelligent, people would do.

    --
    SS

    "Joel Kolstad" <JKolstad71HatesSpam@Yahoo.Com> wrote in message
    > <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> Sorry, meant ...
    >>
    >> www.kiconline.net
    >
    > Thanks for the response. There isn't much to that web site if you're not
    > already a customer, though! In particular, I don't see anywhere where
    > they'll sell you a SIM card???
    >
    > ---Joel

    Go to www.cingular.com, select "Shop Cingular," then "Rate Plans," then
    "Prepaid Plans."

    > > Thanks for the response. There isn't much to that web site if you're
    not
    > > already a customer, though! In particular, I don't see anywhere where
    > > they'll sell you a SIM card???

    Got my Cingular prepaid sim on ebay for $7 the card had a $10 credit, this
    was my only option as GSM prepaid isn't offered in my aera. But nation wide
    roaming on network is included just don't have a local number.

    I also bought a KIC prepaid SIM on eBay for $5 (includes $10 talk time), but
    it was with a CA number that can't be changed, and most likely you can't
    choose which prepaid plan. No problem for me. Pay a little more and you
    might get a local number and choice of plans.

    The AT&T stores here laughed at me when I asked about KIC. The nearest real
    Cingular store is 700 miles away. But there you can buy a new KIC SIM for
    $25 + tax. But neither Telesales or the local stores will mail just the SIM
    to you.

    Bill Radio
    http://www.mountainwireless.com

    "Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote in message
    > Have you tried walking into a store???

    No, for the following reasons:

    -- There isn't a 'real' Cingular store all that close to me
    -- Do you REALLY think those kids at the carts at the mall selling Cingular
    phones typically know what an unlocked GSM phone is? That they'll sell you
    a SIM for some phone they've never seen before? That they even have SIMs to
    sell you? I wouldn't be on it.

    > That's what most intelligent, hell even semi-intelligent, people would do.

    You're living in a fantasy world; the amount of technical information
    available from people on Usenet FAR exceeds what you get from the average
    store clerk these days.

    ---Joel
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Bill Radio" <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote in message
    >I also bought a KIC prepaid SIM on eBay for $5 (includes $10 talk time),
    >but
    > it was with a CA number that can't be changed, and most likely you can't
    > choose which prepaid plan. No problem for me. Pay a little more and you
    > might get a local number and choice of plans.

    Thanks for the information, Bill and others that responded; this approach
    sounds like it'll be the easiest option.

    > But neither Telesales or the local stores will mail just the SIM
    > to you.

    :-( Oh well! eBay it is!

    ---Joel
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 20:16:29 -0600, "Shaolin Superfly"
    <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote:

    >Have you tried walking into a store???
    >
    >That's what most intelligent, hell even semi-intelligent, people would do.

    Asking here was pretty smart, because if the answer is no, they don't
    sell prepaid sim cards, he would have wasted his time.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Evan Platt" <evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 20:16:29 -0600, "Shaolin Superfly"
    > <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Have you tried walking into a store???
    > >
    > >That's what most intelligent, hell even semi-intelligent, people would
    do.

    > Asking here was pretty smart, because if the answer is no, they don't
    > sell prepaid sim cards, he would have wasted his time.

    We sell KIC prepaid cards/SIMs in EVERY Cingular owned store whether orange
    or blue.

    HTH

    --
    SS
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > We sell KIC prepaid cards/SIMs in EVERY Cingular owned store whether
    > orange
    > or blue.

    But I bet they're a lot spendier than going the eBay route, right?

    Another good reason to post to Usenet -- learn of options a Cingular store
    wouldn't have even mentioned.

    ---Joel
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > "Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote in message
    > > Have you tried walking into a store???
    >
    > No, for the following reasons:
    >
    > -- There isn't a 'real' Cingular store all that close to me
    > -- Do you REALLY think those kids at the carts at the mall selling
    Cingular
    > phones typically know what an unlocked GSM phone is? That they'll sell
    you
    > a SIM for some phone they've never seen before? That they even have SIMs
    > sell you? I wouldn't be on it.

    Who said anything about a mall kiosk? When did this post become about
    unlocking phones? I thought you wanted a SIM for a KIC account, am I wrong?
    No? Didn't think so.

    I see you feel the need to make up a fictitious argument .

    > > That's what most intelligent, hell even semi-intelligent, people would
    do.

    > You're living in a fantasy world; the amount of technical information
    > available from people on Usenet FAR exceeds what you get from the average
    > store clerk these days.

    I sure sell alot of phones in my fantasy world, answering questions for
    fantasy people, in my fantasy Cingualr store.
    What I believe is, you are failing to face reality. Just because a small
    minority of salespeople fail to know their product is in no way indicative
    of the majority.

    --
    SS
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > "Joel Kolstad" <JKolstad71HatesSpam@Yahoo.Com> wrote in message
    >> "Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote in message
    >> > Have you tried walking into a store???
    >>
    >> No, for the following reasons:
    >>
    >> -- There isn't a 'real' Cingular store all that close to me
    >> -- Do you REALLY think those kids at the carts at the mall selling
    > Cingular
    >> phones typically know what an unlocked GSM phone is? That they'll sell
    > you
    >> a SIM for some phone they've never seen before? That they even have SIMs
    >> sell you? I wouldn't be on it.
    >

    > Who said anything about a mall kiosk? When did this post become about
    > unlocking phones? I thought you wanted a SIM for a KIC account, am I
    > wrong?

    You're correct, but what I'm saying is that, since there isn't a Cingular
    store near me, how exactly would I 'walk into a Cingular store and ask?' I
    was suggesting that the closest alternative I could come up with would be
    asking at a Cingular mall kiosk, and such a tact doesn't strike me as
    promising.

    > I sure sell alot of phones in my fantasy world, answering questions for
    > fantasy people, in my fantasy Cingualr store.

    You may have a very good Cingular store in your area, but I don't. We don't
    all live next door to you -- and judging from your attitude, I think this is
    a Good Thing.

    ---Joel
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > We sell KIC prepaid cards/SIMs in EVERY Cingular owned store whether
    orange
    > or blue.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > SS

    No HTH or Shaolin Superfly at the company owned store in Trusville Alabama.
    They are very busy selling Razors for $500 no insurance available, maybe
    have insurance in March. If you leave your name and number they may call you
    back (205)-655-0089. No SIMS but if you buy a phone ($69.95 + tax ) it comes
    with a sim and you can sell the phone on ebay. Or you can order online free
    shipping.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <10tpnri1og0ou54@corp.supernews.com>,
    "Bill Radio" <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote:

    > I also bought a KIC prepaid SIM on eBay for $5 (includes $10 talk time), but
    > it was with a CA number that can't be changed, and most likely you can't
    > choose which prepaid plan. No problem for me. Pay a little more and you
    > might get a local number and choice of plans.
    >
    > The AT&T stores here laughed at me when I asked about KIC. The nearest real
    > Cingular store is 700 miles away. But there you can buy a new KIC SIM for
    > $25 + tax.

    Exactly what I have been chirping about after Cingular claimed that all
    AT&T Wireless stores had been fully ocnverted over to be Cingular stores
    on November 15. 8 weeks later, it still hasn't happened. Doesn anyone in
    Atlanta know - or care?

    >But neither Telesales or the local stores will mail just the SIM
    > to you.

    Of course not, that might be user friendly.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Never thought I would add to such a passionate thread.

    Here in Pennsylvania we have "real" Cingular stores and "real" what
    used to be AT&T Wireless stores. Here, both varieties of stores give
    to you, at no cost, a GSM SIM card when you purchase a $20 (or the
    denomination of your choice) prepaid card. While in the store, they
    also obtain a local telephone number for you and add the $20 (or
    whatever amount you selected) credit to the account/local telepone
    number they just obtained. Thereafter, if you choose, you may go to
    the www.kiconline.net Web site to purchase additional time.

    Since you wish to avoid a mall kiosk, and don't have "real" Cingular
    stores there, do you have what used to be AT&T Wireless stores? If
    so, if they are like the stores here, they have the Cingular KIC Kit,
    which includes the free SIM Card, and they also can sell you the
    prepaid card, and setup a local number in one transaction.

    Good luck!

    On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:27:55 -0800, "Joel Kolstad"
    <JKolstad71HatesSpam@Yahoo.Com> wrote:

    ><noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> Sorry, meant ...
    >>
    >> www.kiconline.net
    >
    >Thanks for the response. There isn't much to that web site if you're not
    >already a customer, though! In particular, I don't see anywhere where
    >they'll sell you a SIM card???
    >
    >---Joel

  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Thanks for the advice, Mr. No One. I'll check out the options you
    suggested.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    My pleasure.

    One last thing. If the representatives there are like those here,
    they don't care what type, i.e., manufacturer, model, etc., into which
    you will be placing the SIM Card. There is a field in their database
    for an IME (or some acronym similar to this) that they need to provide
    to identify the device. However, the representatives here indicated
    that while it is a required field, Cingular's database/network will
    accept any valid number. You may wish to look at your handset for
    this number and take it with you so that you may provide it.

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:20:21 -0800, "Joel Kolstad"
    <JKolstad71HatesSpam@Yahoo.Com> wrote:

    >Thanks for the advice, Mr. No One. I'll check out the options you
    >suggested.

  21. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In <jzwick3-F79D7D.08033606012005@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Thu, 06 Jan
    2005 14:05:06 GMT, Jack "Chicken Little" Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

    >Exactly what I have been chirping about after Cingular claimed that all
    >AT&T Wireless stores had been fully ocnverted over to be Cingular stores
    >on November 15. 8 weeks later, it still hasn't happened. Doesn anyone in
    >Atlanta know - or care?

    Nobody cares but you.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

    "A little learning is a dangerous thing." [Alexander Pope]
    "It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." [Mark Twain]
  22. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In <RL-dnXPBVa5P7UDcRVn-2w@comcast.com> on Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:09:41 -0800,
    "Joel Kolstad" <JKolstad71HatesSpam@Yahoo.Com> wrote:

    >-- Do you REALLY think those kids at the carts at the mall selling Cingular
    >phones typically know what an unlocked GSM phone is? That they'll sell you
    >a SIM for some phone they've never seen before? That they even have SIMs to
    >sell you? I wouldn't be on it.

    I think you'd be surprised -- kids tend to be much more clueful about these
    things than adults, my 14-year old daughter being a case in point.

  23. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Per noone@nowhere.com:
    >While in the store, they
    >also obtain a local telephone number for you and add the $20 (or
    >whatever amount you selected) credit to the account/local telepone
    >number they just obtained. Thereafter, if you choose, you may go to
    >the www.kiconline.net Web site to purchase additional time.

    How long does it take for the prepaid to expire? I've got 4 phones on an old
    family account and if I could switch 2 of them to prepaid (they're just carried
    by other family member technophobes "only for emergencies"...i.e. they're never
    used....) I'd be able to ditch the current account and move to a GSM account.

    Things attractive about a single-phone GSM account:

    - I can get a PDF/Phone
    - I suspect the monthly charge for low minutes but no roaming charges could be
    less than the nominal $45/actual $60 I'm paying now.

    Comments from those in the know?
    --
    PeteCresswell
  24. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > How long does it take for the prepaid to expire?

    $10 card, 30 days; $20 and higher cards, 90 days

    Balance rollover if before expiration.
    Unused account balance is forfeited at expiration date.
    KIC accounts will be canceled 60 days after expiration.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > "Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    > > We sell KIC prepaid cards/SIMs in EVERY Cingular owned store whether
    > orange
    > > or blue.
    > >
    > > HTH
    > >
    > > --
    > > SS
    > >

    > No HTH or Shaolin Superfly at the company owned store in Trusville
    Alabama.
    > They are very busy selling Razors for $500 no insurance available, maybe
    > have insurance in March. If you leave your name and number they may call
    you
    > back (205)-655-0089. No SIMS but if you buy a phone ($69.95 + tax ) it
    comes
    > with a sim and you can sell the phone on ebay. Or you can order online
    free
    > shipping.

    The reason they are so busy selling things is because they are COMMISSIONED
    salespeople. Since it's Alabama they baby momma need the benjamins. Werd.

    HTH

    --
    SS
    p.s. HTH means Hope This Helps.

    Alas, word has not yet arrived at any of the Cingular...formerly AT&T
    Wireless...stores throughout the Rockies. The employees haven't yet heard
    of "KIC", but when they ask their manager, he/she says, "we'll be getting
    those in one of these days" (as of 12/27/04).

    I asked to be connected to a store in the nearest 'old' Cingular market
    (Dallas), and, wouldn't you know, it was an ex-AT&T store. They knew what
    KIC was, but told me I would have to call the "real" Cingular store up the
    street in Richardson.

    I'm happy to hear they are now available in every store.

    -Bill Radio

    "Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote in message

    > .
    >

    > We sell KIC prepaid cards/SIMs in EVERY Cingular owned store whether
    orange
    > or blue.

Cingular Sims Internet Service Providers