Sign in with
Your question

Solaris 8.2 Bad magic number

Tags:
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
August 12, 2010 1:57:44 PM

I'll keep it fairly straight forward. I work with a Solaris server and magically today it decided to take a dump on me. At first it give a long list of files that couldn't be acessed before terminating the boot process and returning to the 'ok' prompt. Booting in single-user mode allowed me to run a fsck and there were no noticable issues. After that the errors didn't return, instead I got a different one:

"Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package
Cannot open /pci@1f,0/pci@2/scsi@4/disk@0,0:a
panic - boot: ufsboot: cannot determine filesystem type of root device
Program terminated"

I confirmed all the envs were properly set and I could still bring it up in single-user mode to confirm the files were where they were supposed to be, based upon memory. Any help would be appreciated.
August 13, 2010 1:09:55 AM

There's a good chance your disk could be failing, may have bad sectors, the disk label area could have gotten corrupted or your hardware/software may be ready to go on the fritz.

If you haven't got really good backups, now's the time to save your data before the drive or the server completely fails.

Good luck :) 
m
l
August 13, 2010 4:16:58 PM

The drive is the server, and I can't really access the data to save special files. :S
m
l
Related resources
August 13, 2010 6:37:03 PM

Talk to whoever has access then. :) 
m
l
August 13, 2010 11:33:27 PM

Oh, no, that's not what I meant. I have root access, hence why I can get into single-user mode, but in single-user mode the file system with system-related files that I'd have to recover isn't mounted, preventing access to those files. :S
m
l
August 14, 2010 5:51:34 PM

So mount it. If you have root then you can read the fstab file and check what needs to be mounted.
m
l
August 14, 2010 6:04:44 PM

Um - I think that's the whole problem. The disk won't open because of the bad magic number (unless I'm missing something), so it can't be mounted.
m
l
August 14, 2010 11:09:00 PM

Single user mode does not load the whole system so my first thought was that it just might not be auto mounting. I can see what you are saying though and that would make sense. @AoN - Sorry if that came over the wrong way.

This leaves me with the following questions:

What file system should it be recognised as?
Are there other drives located on SCSI 4 that you can see?
Can you actually see the physical device?
What do you get if you try to mount it manually (output)?

m
l
!