Sign in with
Your question

I can't get Vista Ultimate 64 Bit Edition to work with my RAM

Last response: in Windows Vista
April 6, 2008 6:07:06 PM

I am running Windows XP 32 bit edition on one HDD, and I recently installed Vista Ultimate 64 on another HDD (after some problems with an ACPI compliant error that I solved by removing one of my two sticks of RAM). Please take a look at my configuration and tell me how I can get Vista to boot properly with both sticks of RAM. The situation is thus, with my RAM: I bought a Zalman fan that has copper fins to reduce heat. The fins stick out over the first slot of RAM (the A1 slot for channel pairing) and I instead opted to put my first stick of RAM in the B1 channel. My other stick is in the B2 slot, which is the last slot on the board. That might be the issue, but I figured I would bring this up. Here is my load out:

AMD Athlon 65 X2 6400+ Dual Core AM2 slot
Asustek M2N32-SLI Premium Vista Edition Mobo
2x DDR2 2 GIG Corsair XMS2 series
2x Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT series SLI
60 gig IDE Seagate HDD
120 gig IDE Seagate HDD
200 gig SATA Seagate HDD
Windows XP (on 60 gig HDD)
Windows Vista 64 Bit Ultimate edition (on 120 gig HDD)
April 7, 2008 4:42:39 PM

Update: I recently tried to update Vista with Windows6.0-KB929777-v2-x64.msu, but that didn't work. Anyone?
m
l
April 7, 2008 10:05:55 PM

what timings and voltage are you running your ram at?
m
l
Related resources
April 7, 2008 10:58:34 PM

It's set to auto in the BIOS. I have read that changing the voltage might help, but I don't know what I should change it to.
m
l
April 7, 2008 11:07:01 PM

I should also add that I physically deformed my processor fan so that I could stick my RAM stick into the primary A1 slot. Now I have it in Channel A instead of Channel B, and it is still giving me problems, so that isn't it. My room mate is telling me that Vista won't support two 2 gig chips. That sounds fairly incredulous to me.
m
l
April 7, 2008 11:43:06 PM

first off, your roommate is wrong. now that we have that out of the way, if this is the ram that you're running:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

it is rated to run at 1.9v which is higher than the 1.8v that the bios will default to, so try to raise the voltage to 1.9v to see if that helps the problem. run memtest to see if you still get memory errors at that voltage. if it's still crashing, then i would consider RMAing those sticks because you might have bad ram.
m
l
April 8, 2008 12:59:17 AM

So, memtest says RAM is fine. I upped the voltage to 1.9 and still got no go. I even changed my values to 4-4-4-12 and it didn't seem to budge. This is highly perplexing.
m
l
April 8, 2008 1:38:08 AM

that ram that you linked to is rated to run at 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v, so if you're running at 1.9v, you're underpowering it, stability might be an issue.

btw, are you sure you're running the same memtest that i'm talking about? a full test of ram usually takes several hours.

here's a link to the memtest86+ program:
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

try upping the voltage to 2.1v first, then run a full pass of your memory with the program.
m
l
April 8, 2008 1:54:19 AM

As pointed out, set your memory to the proper voltages and timings. If the spec says 2.1 volts, then set it for 2.1 volts.

Also, your roommate is wrong - I have four 2GB sticks in my system, and it runs just fine.
m
l
April 8, 2008 3:10:23 AM

I am going to try the Memtest program. I upped the voltage and still no dice. I'll post tomorrow with Memtest results.
m
l
April 8, 2008 12:03:20 PM

Ran Memtest for 8 hours while I slept. It went through 6 successes with 0 failures. I think the RAM is fine. Back to the drawing board.
m
l
April 8, 2008 12:53:20 PM

All right, I'll do my best.

Imagine I have two sticks of RAM in. They are now in Channel A mode, so they should be considered primary and in their proper pairing slots. I press the power button. I get a single beep (YAY POST CODE!). Then my monitor goes through the BIOS screen, I see a flash of code related to OS booting, and I am presented with a screen: Do you want to load Windows Vista or an earlier version of Windows? I pick Vista, thinking "Oh, I should have all of my problems solved. By all rights, this should work even though I have struggled through ACPI compliant errors, and general 0X00001 error codes or whatever it said."

What I get is a real quick flash of a BSOD and then it reboots. If I try to go with Vista again, it asks if I would like to boot in Safe Mode or any of the other options indicating Windows didn't boot properly. Rather than opting to once again open my case and pop out a stick of RAM, I decide to boot into XP (an earlier version of Windows of course). XP loads fine (loads quickly) and I then type this post to you.

Theoretically, in this choose your own adventure, I stop instead to turn off my PC, unplug it, and pop out a stick of RAM. I then restart my computer and go again to the OS choosing screen. I pick Vista. I get the Vista loading screen, and everything loads fancy dandy. I am soon sitting at the Vista 64 Bit Ultimate edition welcome screen! Hooray! ... minus my 2nd stick of RAM.

Now, I've run Memtest. I put my RAM in priority slot A1-A2. I've changed the voltage and specs on my RAM. There is nothing functionally wrong with my RAM. There is also nothing functionally wrong with Vista, it just doesn't like that -one- extra stick of RAM. I have installed Microsoft's supposed patch for the issue, upgraded to SP1, and done just about everything else I can think of all to no avail.

Does this explain to you enough? I can't give the exact error code because when Vista is loading up it BSOD's way too quick for me to see what it is doing.
m
l
April 8, 2008 6:28:27 PM

What you need to do is install the fix for having 4GB+ of RAM installed. Of course, this means you'll have to remove 1 stick while you do this, but once the update is installed you can put the other stick back in and everything should work.
m
l
April 8, 2008 6:30:45 PM

Skavian said:
Update: I recently tried to update Vista with Windows6.0-KB929777-v2-x64.msu, but that didn't work. Anyone?

I all ready did as I pointed out earlier :pt1cable: 

I should add that I did it with the one 2 gig stick in, meaning that I got into Vista and installed the update, then shut down, then installed the other stick, then booted up again to no avail.
m
l
April 8, 2008 6:34:26 PM

Nevermind, just noticed you said you installed the patch. Have you updated your motherboard's BIOS?
m
l
April 8, 2008 6:58:35 PM

just curious, what PSU are you using? i just wanted to cover all bases and get as much as info as possible in trying to think of the solution....
m
l
April 8, 2008 9:50:30 PM

well, i hope that the bios updates and drivers work for you, but i'm honestly beginning to suspect your PSU as the culprit. here's my logic:

1) your PSU is a Tier 5 model, which are more prone to power issues, fluctuations, and burnout, etc
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...

2) even the reviews on the newegg link of the PSU are less than favorable (not that you should put too much weight in PSU reviews on newegg)

3) you got an "ACPI compliant" error when trying to install, ACPI is a power standard for modern computers, this may very well stem from PSU issues

4) you've ruled out pretty much most other hardware as the problem since your ram tested good, and everything seems to run fine under XP

5) vista boots fine with 1 stick of ram, when you add the other stick in, you're adding more load onto the psu (aks using more power), which might be causing the issues with BSOD in vista.

So what i'm suggesting for you to do, if the bios update and drivers don't work, is try going out and buying an appropriate PSU at your local computer superstore to "test". If it works, then you can keep that PSU, or return it and buy one that you want. If it doesn't solve the problem, then let us know and we'll go back to the drawing board....
m
l
April 8, 2008 9:59:04 PM

I understand what you're saying, but why would the PSU have no problem with the RAM running in XP? The RAM should still be drawing power from the PSU even if XP isn't fully utilizing it, am I right?
m
l
April 8, 2008 10:41:47 PM

Skavian said:
I understand what you're saying, but why would the PSU have no problem with the RAM running in XP? The RAM should still be drawing power from the PSU even if XP isn't fully utilizing it, am I right?

there could be a difference in the way Vista uses power as opposed to XP (ie, different ACPI driver, etc) Also, Aero puts more strain on your video card than XP's GUI does, since it's "3D" accelerated. I can't pinpoint to what it is exactly, but it's just a hunch on my part. but i've been wrong before =)
m
l
April 8, 2008 11:04:18 PM

It's the BIOS.

I flashed the BIOS and redid everything there. It booted right quick with no trouble. BIOS is one of those tricky things, and I am kind of glad I saved it for last. Thankfully my motherboard comes with some great utilities for updating BIOS. In any case, hopefully this thread will be useful to anyone looking to solve the same problem.
m
l
April 8, 2008 11:12:25 PM

congrats!
m
l
!