Transfering Windows XP KEY to another computer .

jzjz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Hi. A friend of mine has an old computer with Windows XP home on it. It's basically a piece of junk, out dated and has things wrong with it. Basically the capacitors on the board are popping and leaking. It won't run anymore. So a new computer will be bought. New motherboard and case.

However it has no windows. The windows on the old system is pre-loaded on that computer. Is it possible to somehow install XP on the new computer using the old key and without buying a whole new copy of Windows XP? I figure xp won't allow this right off the bat, but does Microsoft offer any way to do this? I think it should be possible since XP is only being used on one system. Paying for windows twice doesn't seem just right in this case.

I also know some keys are defined for certain types of hardware configurations (oems etc). But I still wonder if there is a way.

G

I depends on what type of license is on the old computer. If it's the Retail version, it can be transfered to the new computer. If it's the OEM version, according to the Microsoft EULA, it's tied to the motherboard and can't be transfered UNLESS the motherboard dies. You might have to call MS to reactivate. Hopefully the Product Sticker with the COA key is on the old computer.

Grumpy

jzjz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Thanks for the reply. I figured out it's an OEM. The motherboard is dead, but I'm not sure if she's thrown it out or not. It was leaking pretty bad and had chemicals all over it after I took it out. The case was cleaned up and is the original from emachines. It also has the original sticker on the back with a key from the factory. I may have to make the dreaded call to MS as you said, and wait on hold, LOL. Hopefully it's worth it.

G

FWIW, the last few times I've called MS after replacing a dead motherboard, the automated system asked if I made a major change to the computer and just generated an activation code. I never spoke to a live person.

Grumpy

thebluedawg

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Grumpy...i have a question....when you called MS, do you have to say that you just changed your mobo or it died...cuase i want to upgrade my mobo but still use my current version of XP....

thebluedawg

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Grumpy...i have a question....when you called MS, do you have to say that you just changed your mobo or it died...cuase i want to upgrade my mobo but still use my current version of XP....

G

Lately, the automated system asks if you made major changes to your computer and I just pressed 1 for yes. I was then given an validation code to activate XP. Only took a few minutes.

Grumpy

basketcase

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Yeah, if you don't have install discs, there are ways to procure them on the interwebz. Then when you install it, just use the key from the old PC. It will ask you to activate, and possibly (like the others said) call MS to get a validation code. Just tell them you have changed the mobo and they will give it to you.

EDIT: Sorry, just realized this thread is getting old... not trying to necropost.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Lately, the automated system asks if you made major changes to your computer and I just pressed 1 for yes. I was then given an validation code to activate XP. Only took a few minutes.

Grumpy

I went through this process for a laptop where I had to install a new hdd that crashed. For some reason the code would not be accepted. I literally read it and typed 1 character at a time and was baffled. I remember that automated voice saying this will take approximately 6~7 minutes. I laughed and for kicks took a quick glance at my clock. Literally 7 minutes later I had the XP code reactivated and authentic, I really was impressed. This was with a CD that was not the one the laptop came with.