new to over clocking. Plz help

Viruta

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
i have a question about ram timings, some people have posted something like 4-4-4-12-2T, am not sure what the 2T stand for. Is it the memory multiplier to obtain a 1FSB:1RAM operation.

my second question, i plan to buy G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) for my build, along with the Intel Core 2 Duo E6420. is the rated frequency of this ram 800? and if i oc the cpu to 400 X 8 = 3200, anything above the 400 fsb will in turn translate in me overclocking the ram above the rated frequency, right? and if so i would have to adjust the memory timings from 4-4-4-12(Timing of the G. Skill) to 5-5-5-18 for example. thats what i understood from wusy's guide, anyways. Correct me if am wrong PLEASE!!!!

Q1....the 2T means the command rate. It is not the multiplier for the FSB/Memory....I recommend you google it and research more to learn about command rates.

Q2...The memory you are planning to buy...the PC2 6400 is rated for 800 Mhz. Your CPU runs at 533*2 Mhz. You technically only need PC2 4200 (Which runs at 533 Mhz) to keep 1:1 ratio with your cpu at stock speeds. If you run the G.Skill ram at 1:1 ratio with your FSB on that overclock, you should be fine. If you run the ram at different ratio, then you could run out of spec.

If you overclock, you might or might not have to loosen your memory timings. It all depends on your memory. However, if that memory is rated for 4-4-4-12@800, then you shouldn't have to loosen up your timings.

However, if you plan on overclocking that much, I would recommend that you ensure that you have a good Heatsink/Fan. That much overclock will most likely heat things up.