New here, asking for help w/ system build

Hey all, as you can see I'm admittedly new here. I'm trying to build a system myself, however I'm at a bit of a loss regarding 2 things.

First off, what I've got listed below are the components that I'm looking at getting, the problem I have is I'm not entirely sure what size of power supply I should get.

Secondly, as I'm sure you can guess, this system is going to be used for gaming 98% of the time. I know that this isn't the forum for software questions, but can someone please tell me what version of Vista I should purchase? It's just bizarre, I've been dealing w/ computers for a decent amount of time and haven't the slightest clue. :oops:

Any help or further suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :D

APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Mail-in Rebate
$79.99 -$20.00 Instant $59.99

MSI P6N SLI-FI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$119.99

EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
Mail-in Rebate
$389.99 -$30.00 Instant $719.98

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6700 - Retail
$320.00

G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4S-1GBHK - Retail
In Stock
$75.49 $301.96

HITACHI Deskstar T7K250 HDT722525DLA380 (0A31636) 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $59.99

PHILIPS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with 12X DVD-RAM Write Black IDE interface (ATAPI) Model SPD2413BD - Retail $32.99

Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - OEM $27.99
8 answers Last reply
More about here system build
  1. You're def. getting the right parts. The ram is overpriced for a single gig.

HK overclocks moderately:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/choose.mspx?wt_svl=10033VHa2&mg_id=10033VHb2

HZ overclocks crazy:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231065

Get 2 kits of either one. Don't mix 'em up. Still cheaper than the 4 single sticks you picked out.

If you can afford top brand like silverstone for psu, get it. Otherwise, don't get anything less than a Fortron/Hiper like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817128005

That's good for a single card setup. If you plan to sli, find one here:

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html
  2. I think everything looks good! Although I agree, the RAM is a bit overpricy, but not a hellot.
    So go!
  3. Thanks for the help and suggestions. I will plan on getting the memory that you pointed out, that definately is the better buy. I do plan on having an SLI setup, so for the PSU, what do you think about this?

Hiper Modular II Type-R 730W Power Supply - SLI Ready

EDIT: I just found this PSU as well.

Silverstone Decathlon Quad SLI Ready Power Supply
  4. Quote:
    Thanks for the help and suggestions. I will plan on getting the memory that you pointed out, that definately is the better buy. I do plan on having an SLI setup, so for the PSU, what do you think about this?

Hiper Modular II Type-R 730W Power Supply - SLI Ready

I have a Hiper PSU (although another model) and I am very pleased with it, especially since it is modular. It is also very quiet.
  5. Also, something I just noticed as well regarding the PSU's. Can someone give me a brief explination of Rails? I saw that 1 of them had 1 12v rail and then the other had 3 or 4.

When purchasing a PSU I'm guessing that's something that should be taken into consideration, however it's not easy to consider when you haven't any idea as to what it means. :?

EDIT: Nevermind, I decided to attach my head properly and bow down to the power of wikipedia. :oops:
  6. Well, power-hungry video cards take more than 1 pci-e power cable. 2 pci-e cables would be minimal for any modern gaming pc. 4 is kinda standard for high-end psu's.

A pc gamer should look at both the maximum wattage output & the combined +12v rail amperage of a psu. nvidia cards list both requirements while most other cards don't. 18a combined should be enough for low to mid-range cards. High-end cards usually take 30+ amps.

While the hiper you listed is good, but the vertical modular cables are not (56a). I'm afraid your case or the majority of mid towers won't fit it easily. I think it must face downwards & the cables will interfere with the cpu cooler & air flow.

Just pick a good psu with the cables on the front.

The silverstone 60a you listed is of much better quality than the hiper. It'll last much longer.
  7. Akhilles, thank you very much. I really do appreciate all the assistance that you've provided. :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product