Can DBAN delete a write-protected USB drive?

henobi

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
I've had no luck trying to delete files or reformat a spontaneously write protected USB flash drive (no switch). Will DBAN override the protection, and if so, where can I find a Windows version?

henobi

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
A colleague of mine tried to use the Berkeley version of Linux and could not delete the partition. Over the weekend, I used the command:

DISKPART> detail disk
UFD USB Flash Drive USB Device
Disk ID: C3072E18
Type : USB
Path : 0
Target : 0
LUN ID : 0
Location Path : UNAVAILABLE
Current Read-only State : Yes
Read-only : No
Boot Disk : No
Pagefile Disk : No
Hibernation File Disk : No
Crashdump Disk : No
Clustered Disk : No

Note the discrepancy in the bold, italic lines which say "Current Read-only State : Yes" but "Read-only : No." This prevents me from deleting the files or reformatting the drive. Any other suggestions?

randomizer

Champion
Once you've selected the right disk (make sure you get it right!) execute the following commands:

clean
create partition primary
exit

Then in Windows Explorer just format the drive. If it doesn't show up, go back into diskpart, select the disk and then run:

select partition 1
assign
exit

It should definitely show up then. You will probably get the autorun prompt as well.

henobi

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
So far, no luck with any suggestions. I had several IT people with Macs working on it, but they could not access or delete the partition on the flash drive.

Note my previous error message from DISKPART, which reported a discrepancy between "Current Read-only State : Yes" and "Read-only : No."
On the web, I found another person had asked this question, but it was diverted to Microsoft support, and the answer was not published.
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/35994039/disk-marked-as-current-readonly-but-readonly-flag-is-off-.aspx

I've tried to write-protect/then unprotect the drive, and put it in the freezer to see if I could get access to reformat, but failed. I also exposed the flash drive to a strong magnet, but the files remained intact. Apparently data is not stored magnetically, so degaussing would not work either.

To delete my proprietary data, I may have to boil it or microwave it, unless someone has another idea!

Buy a new one? Seriously you've spent hours on this from the story you tell. It could at the end of the day be a HW issue.

To kill the existing drive an ensure the files can not be read just use a hammer, I'm sure that will also help relieve some of the frustration this thing has created. ;)