Will windows 2000 search for drivers automatically on the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
I had no luck with Windows Update providing drivers for Win 2K after their support ran out in the summer of 2010.

However, there are many driver discs on eBay for PC's that ran the OS, and some OEM's still have them for download. I know that Dell & Lenovo (IBM) does, don't know about HP.

Cat

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I had no luck with Windows Update providing drivers for Win 2K after their support ran out in the summer of 2010.

However, there are many driver discs on eBay for PC's that ran the OS, and some OEM's still have them for download. I know that Dell & Lenovo (IBM) does, don't know about HP.

Cat

Solution

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
As an added note, there was an "unofficial SP5" for Windows 2000, that will give you some added updates, including having IE6 w/o having to install it from the go. You can either add it to your original install disk, using nLite, or you can just download & click onto the .exe file, and the SP will install.

Download link for the "unofficial SP5".

http://majorgeeks.com/Microsoft_Windows_2000_Unofficial_SP_d4817.html

This SP was written by MS, was considered for release, but wanting to push XP at the time, they decided not to. I have it on all 3 of my 2K installs, and they all run better with it installed.

Now, if only a "unofficial SP4" will emerge for XP, that would be great!

Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.