Sign in with
Your question
Closed

System failure in new Windows Vista installation.

Last response: in Windows Vista
April 12, 2008 3:52:21 AM

I just built my PC. Specs are as follows:

6600 Core 2 Quad 2.4
EVGA nForce 780i mobo
4 GB memory
Rosewill 850W PSU
2x EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS SLI
2x Seagate 500 GB HDD, SATA (striped)
Koolance Exos2 750 Liquid Cooling

When installing Windows Vista, I get through most of the installation process, However, after passing the “Windows is preparing to start for the first time...", Vista is getting ready to install drivers and such, I repeatedly get a blue screen with the following message:

“A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you’ve seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable of remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

***Stop: 0X0000000A (0XFFFFFA802880010A, 0X000000000000000Z, 0X00000000000000000, 0XFFFFF8000185Z51)

Collection data for crash dump…
Initializing disk for crash dump…
Beginning dump of physical memory…Dumping physical memory to disk: 0”

I think it might be the GPUs, or the RAID set up, but I’m not exactly sure what to do here.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Gary K.

More about : system failure windows vista installation

Best solution

April 12, 2008 4:43:15 AM

This looks like it is probably the 4 gig Vista install problem. This is a well known and often encountered problem. Try installing with 2 gig only. Then run this update:

for 32 bit vista : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...

for 64 bit vista: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...

After that you can add back the extra 2 gig.

If that's not it you may need to adjust memory voltage, speed or timings - but try the above fix first because your error message is pretty much word for word what you get with that problem.
April 12, 2008 10:14:24 PM

Yep...that was indeed the issue. All is running well now.

Thanks a ton!
Gary
Score
April 13, 2008 12:38:38 AM

garyknowz1 said:
Yep...that was indeed the issue. All is running well now.

Thanks a ton!
Gary

Good!
Score
Related resources
!