Progs not closing properly

rmbelson

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
Many times when I close a program I find it still listed in Windows Task Manager -- sometimes multiple instances -- just found 4 instances of Tbird, for example. Obviously eats up memory.

What can cause this? No virii or spyware according to my various AV programs. Any fix short of format and reinstall of Windows? Dearly want to avoid this, if possible.

An annoyance but not a major one, unless it reveals some other deeper problem with my OS.

Thanks,

RMB

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
possibly a registry cleaning would be of some help. It surely couldnt hurt anything.
cccleaner is a good free one to start with
http://www.filehippo.com/ youll find it at the top of the page.

rmbelson

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
My experience with registry cleaners has not been great -- things stop working and I usually have to restore to a previous registry to get all my programs back in line. I don't know enough about what the cleaners are deleting to judge whether to allow a certain action or not.

mafadecay

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
I tried ccleaner and it found over 900 so called errors but when fixing them it snacked on the startup files to all of my programs. When I clicked on the start menu and all programs every single program just said empty. Some programs would still work if I used my computer and searched in program files to run the exe file but many progs were half eaten. I tried to restore from my registry backup and it failed too. Good work ccleaner keep it up NOT!!! I virtually had to reinstall everything including my printers and broadband.

number 13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
eusing has the best cleaner outIMHO, been using it for 3 years now with no problem, and I'm in China and fix plenty of computers here with virus and registry problems,the highest number of reg errors was just short of 6000 and it fixed it with no other errors