Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Core
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
May 15, 2007 12:29:36 PM

Hi,

I'm about to upgrade one of my machines again and will be going from a 939AGP to a PCIe AM2.

I see there is a 3600AM2 with a core size of 65nm and a 3800AM2 with a core size of 90nm.

I always thought that the smaller the core size, the higher the clock speed the CPU would be likely to reach, but I see that the 65nm CPUs are only available at the lower clock speeds while the 90nm CPUs are sold all the way up to the 6000AM2.
This is the opposite of what I always thought.

Am I wrong or is there some reason for the 65nm CPUs only to be clocked at the lower speeds?

Which would be the best one for me to buy to overclock?

Cheers!

More about : am2 cpu overclock

May 15, 2007 1:31:16 PM

Quote:
Hi,

I'm about to upgrade one of my machines again and will be going from a 939AGP to a PCIe AM2.

I see there is a 3600AM2 with a core size of 65nm and a 3800AM2 with a core size of 90nm.

I always thought that the smaller the core size, the higher the clock speed the CPU would be likely to reach, but I see that the 65nm CPUs are only available at the lower clock speeds while the 90nm CPUs are sold all the way up to the 6000AM2.
This is the opposite of what I always thought.

Am I wrong or is there some reason for the 65nm CPUs only to be clocked at the lower speeds?

Which would be the best one for me to buy to overclock?

Cheers!

There is one other factor at play here. The 6000 has 2X1mb cache and as prices are falling I dont believe AMD will be comming with a 65nm brisbane with 2X1mb cache. That said the x2 4800 brisbane runs at 2.5GHz but the X2 3600+ can be OC'ed over 3GHz. The 3600 OC'ed may not out perform the 6000 but no 90nm less than 4 times the price of the 3600 can. IE you need a 90nm with 2X1mb cache or a 65nm at 3.1~3.3GHz.
May 16, 2007 1:19:21 PM

Hi,

Thanks for that info.
I've ordered the 3600 which should arrive soon which I will be using a Zalman 9500AM2 H/S and fan.

I was thinking of buying either 2x512MB or 1x1GB from Crucial. Does Dual channel RAM make that much difference?
Which is likely to overclock better?

Finally I need the motherboard.
Having had two dogs from ASUS (A7V880 and A8V) I'm now looking at an Abit KN9 Ultra, NF MCP55-Ultra board which seems to have enough Sata ports and two PCI slots.

Any thoughts on these parts?
Many thanks.
May 18, 2007 5:46:04 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for that info.
I've ordered the 3600 which should arrive soon which I will be using a Zalman 9500AM2 H/S and fan.

I was thinking of buying either 2x512MB or 1x1GB from Crucial. Does Dual channel RAM make that much difference?
Which is likely to overclock better?

Finally I need the motherboard.
Having had two dogs from ASUS (A7V880 and A8V) I'm now looking at an Abit KN9 Ultra, NF MCP55-Ultra board which seems to have enough Sata ports and two PCI slots.

Any thoughts on these parts?
Many thanks.

The Abit KN9 Ultra bios hasnt seen a update since 2007-01-16 and doesnt support fully brisbane. That said it does work but expect wrong temp readings like 60c at idle. I would suggest EVGA 122-M2-NF59-TR which supports brisbane fully.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.evga.com/Support/Drivers/default.asp?switch=...

Dual channel gives you twice the memory bandwidth but at 1GB and stock CPU its not that big of a deal. Problem comes in when you upgrade later 2, 4GB's, or OC your CPU. you'll be needing the full bandwidth and end up have to throw away 1GB and possible bottle neck your OCed CPU. I would suggest a 2X1GB kit as they start under $80. Crucial is a good brand name but tends to be higher priced. Im not going to say anymore on that as i find users get more out the memory they come accustomed to just get a dual channel kit.

OCing memory requires that your memory can work above JDEC 1.8volts and that your mobo supports those voltages.
!