Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Linux HTPC questions

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
August 30, 2010 2:29:56 AM

I want to get off using MCE for streaming, but it seems hardware support for TV tuners and remotes in linux is kind of scarce. Does anyone know of a good digital TV tuner that plays nice with linux AND OR a good remote control with the option of assigning actions to buttons without going way too deep into .conf files or the like? Thanks for reading!

More about : linux htpc questions

a b 5 Linux
August 30, 2010 3:18:58 PM

Have you had a look at XBMC? I thought the standard Win remotes were supported. Also the site should have details on supported tuners. Other sites to look at would be MythTV.
August 30, 2010 10:24:54 PM

I havent looked at XBMC yet, though I`ve heard good things. I`ve had other issues with linuxmce and mythtv in the form of mythbuntu, but since i was trying to install those on antiquated systems with obsolete hardware that could be the problem. I know most distros have a card compatibility list, but i wasn`t as sure about remotes!
Related resources

Best solution

a b 5 Linux
August 31, 2010 11:52:04 PM

It's not really my area, I still have a 14" CRT for TV duties. Had a quick look and found this though:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Remote_Control_Rev...

That's the good news. Now for the bad. I'd gotten a bit mixed up in that while you can have live TV/PVR fronted by XBMC it is only a front end, you still have to use something like Myth on the back-end. Having had a look through the Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBMC

it does make mention of other options.
September 2, 2010 6:20:05 PM

So far xbmc on Ubuntu 'just works' with my MCE remote, but it sometimes takes a few seconds to notice that the remote is there.

And yes, you need a backend too: we have an Ion system plugged into the TV running xbmc talking to a MythTV backend on the file server.
September 13, 2010 12:52:38 PM

Best answer selected by tu_illegalamigo.
September 22, 2010 5:25:43 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!