patrickp

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
I have seen conflicting information regarding Blu-ray support in Windows Vista64. What support is available for Blu-Ray? Does it support all the audio and video codecs or must a third party application be purchased?

This is the first I've heard of Vista not supporting Blu-Ray. Perhaps someone is misinforming you.

Irregardless, this would not be an operating system issue - It is an issue related to the various vendors of Blu-Ray devices. Please check with the appropriate vendor whether they have created drivers for their devices for Vista.

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
as of right now, you will need a third party application to view bluray movies (i use powerdvd ultra). I use the LG combo-drive (hd-dvd/bluray) and i've had no problems viewing either format in vista64. just make sure your gpu and monitor support HDCP. if you're not sure, then download the cyberlink bd-advisor, it will look at your system and tell you if you have everything you need to view hd content.

here's the link:
http://www.cyberlink.com/english/support/bdhd_support/diagnosis.jsp

patrickp

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
Many thanks pinaplex,
That's the conclusion I had made but with all the mixed info I had received in the past I began to wonder. I'll take a look at WinDVD and began my new quest. I have a HDCP compliant monitor and video card so that should be good to go. I still need to obatain the Blu-tay drive and will likely get the LG combo unit.

patrickp

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
Plase pass the info to my girl - she'll never believe I could beat anyone in the size dept. :)

The Sony is likely a better display, I just got a good deal on hte LG.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007

Lol, I was going to append "That's what she said" after my last post, but I didn't, but looks like I should have. lol Are you running PowerDVD? If not, which one and how do you like it?

patrickp

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
I'm running WinDVD right now but I just installed it and have a Blu-ray drive on order so my experience with it is lmmited. Playing standard def DVD the upsampling for the video works very well and overall it has worked without a hitch. Blu-ray and HDCP will be the true test.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007

I was only admitting that his was bigger, not that mine is smaller. hehe

Let me know what you think when you get it. :) Did it come bundled with any playback software?

patrickp

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
I'll be happy to let you know how it works out.
I think it comes with a hadicapped OEM version of PowerDVD. As I undserstand it, the OEM version only plays 2ch and does not support any multi-channel audio formats. The support for the OEM sofware seems to be non-existant based of some of the discusions I've seen.