Sign in with
Your question

New pc build with old IDE?

Last response: in Storage
May 15, 2007 12:50:39 PM

I'm sure this is a dumb question but I'm going to give it a shot.

I built the new pc, and the motherboard has one IDE slot available, and since my DVD drive was SATA I didn't have to use it.

Does this mean that I could hook up my old IDE hard drive (with XP on it) and DVD Burner with the IDE cable without incident?

I'm currently running 2 250G's in a non-raid format with Vista Ultimate as my OS.

If I didn't give enough info please let me know.

More about : build ide

a b G Storage
May 15, 2007 1:34:09 PM

Yes, it will work fine, technically. But your Windows install won't work.
You will have to format and reinstall windows.
You can't just move a drive with an OS installed from 1 pc to another.
Well, you can, but it is a royal pain, and it will be buggy. Best just to format and start over.
If you just want to install it as a second drive for storage, no problem.
May 15, 2007 1:48:09 PM

You can hook up two IDE drives, yes. Doesn't matter if it's two hard drives, one hard drive and one DVD burner, or two CD-Roms.
Related resources
May 15, 2007 2:25:18 PM

Quote:
Does this mean that I could hook up my old IDE hard drive (with XP on it) and DVD Burner with the IDE cable without incident?

You should have no problem connecting your drive and DVD burner as long as you have the Master/Slave or Cable Select settings configured correctly on the devices. You will be able to see and use the IDE HDD as a storage device just fine. If you intend to dual boot there will be issues with drivers installed in the old XP installation that will make if difficult to do without reinstalling XP.

GL
May 15, 2007 2:31:55 PM

I may just leave the old PC as is. It's an XP box that can sit on my network and I'll have access to it from the same monitor (analog/digital) or by remote Desktop.

Thanks for the input.
May 23, 2007 11:35:58 PM

You could connect the IDE drive as the master and the ATA DVD burner as slave in the new computer. If the chipset on the motherboard is from the same maker (ie via , nvidia) there is a good chance you XP will boot. If not then you will have to run a repair on the OS.
Best of luck
May 24, 2007 5:52:36 AM

If you know what you're doing you could get a cheap raid card and raid that puppy. Use it as a server maybe. Vista Home Server is slated to be out soon I believe...you might look into it.
!