• Motherboards
  • Graphics Cards
  • Socket
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
May 15, 2007 1:06:30 PM

I currently have a GA-k8u-939 agp motherboard and its a week OC'er

I am going to upgrade my video card, just having a tough time deciding on to just get another AGP vid card, or upgrade the mobo and video card.

If I just do vid card, I am looking at 7800gs agp for about $120.

If I do new mobo and video card, I would want to spend about $200.

The mobo must be able to use ddr memory and have 4 slots for memory.

My chip is AMD FX-55

Suggestions?

More about : selecting 939 socket

May 15, 2007 2:11:11 PM

Sell the processor online for maybe $350. List it on ebay (god I hate ebay though) and make a reserve price of $275. List the RAM too and sell it. Realize though you have to pay them a small percentage to sell the stuff, and you'll have to pay for shipping as well. Use the proceeds and the money you'd use for your AGP video card to update your platform. Then buy whatever is the best price/performance card, right now it's the 8800GTS. Buying AGP is crazy, AGP cards cost more, and are severly outdated now. If you decide not to take this route, you should still get a decent PCI-E board and an 8800 or X2900 (more costly though).
May 15, 2007 2:38:24 PM

The OP said he has $200 to spend so you recommend he buys an entirely new platform? A used FX-55 isn't going to fetch anywhere near $350 on eBay, it's going to fetch at most $100. And the resale value of DDR Ram isn't very high either.

All that being said his current CPU and platform are good enough to get him another 12 months with a video card upgrade. For $200 he can get a X1950 Pro AGP card and get a nice bump in performance (assuming his current card is much less than this). The OP is just delaying the inevitable major upgrade, but if he doesn't have the money now he can still get a nice performance boost and save for the next year until he can afford a new rig.
Related resources
May 15, 2007 4:25:03 PM

Well my, you're ignorant. Considering I just sold MY Fx-55 proc (OEM) for $270 online and I've seen them for going for over a grand...tells me that you don't know what you're talking about. $200 for a VIDEO card he said. If he sells the processor for $300 he can buy a better processor AND a new mobo. The only thing he's looking at is buying more ram and a video card then. DDR2 can be found for about $80 for TWO GIGS, and PCI-E video cards are CHEAPER than AGP cards. If he's "delaying the inevitable upgrade" my advice was to NOT delay. But instead I gave him a good alternative. It isn't WORTH buying an AGP card. AGP is DEAD. Know what you're talking about before you go giving advice please. People get enough horrible advice on these forums. I gave him advice that if he plays his cards right he could get a relatively cheap upgrade to his system and come out ahead with a good machine. He asked for opinions, and I don't need your immature and ignorant perceptions knocking mine. I'm speaking from EXPERIENCE. Get some.
May 15, 2007 4:49:25 PM

Quote:
Well my, you're ignorant. Considering I just sold MY Fx-55 proc (OEM) for $270 online and I've seen them for going for over a grand...tells me that you don't know what you're talking about. $200 for a VIDEO card he said. If he sells the processor for $300 he can buy a better processor AND a new mobo. The only thing he's looking at is buying more ram and a video card then. DDR2 can be found for about $80 for TWO GIGS, and PCI-E video cards are CHEAPER than AGP cards. If he's "delaying the inevitable upgrade" my advice was to NOT delay. But instead I gave him a good alternative. It isn't WORTH buying an AGP card. AGP is DEAD. Know what you're talking about before you go giving advice please. People get enough horrible advice on these forums. I gave him advice that if he plays his cards right he could get a relatively cheap upgrade to his system and come out ahead with a good machine. He asked for opinions, and I don't need your immature and ignorant perceptions knocking mine. I'm speaking from EXPERIENCE. Get some.

Your selling one processor for $270 gives you loads of experience. If you look at eBay for the completed listings you will see that used FX-55 processors generally are selling for less than $200. A $200 AGP card will give him another year of gaming on his current hardware. For the money he has to spend he isn't going to get better performance than an X1950 Pro. The 8800GTS 320 is going to be out of his price range because he needs a new motherboard ($150), processor ($150), RAM ($100), possibly power supply ($80). How with your infinite wisdom and experience can he possibly afford all of that with $200? Even with the magical $300 you believe he will get for his old CPU he will still fall well short of the $700 he needs to get the upgrade you recommend.

Johnyblow I am probably older and more experienced in all ways of life than you. Your having to resort to insults and ridiculing me only furthers my opinion that you are indeed an assclown with very little knowledge of the world. I was once a teenager who thought he knew it all and wouldn't accept the advice of others if it differed from my beliefs, but then one day I realized that I didn't know shit. Johnyblow that day could be today for you if you let it. Your poor math skills are a sign of your overall lack of intelligence. I apologize for resorting to petty name calling and ridiculing you, but someone needs to.
May 15, 2007 4:59:48 PM

Ok, you 2, this is what I see.

Sell chip for $175. Seems to be lowest price.
Sell Mobo for $25
Sell memory for $75? 4 sticks of 512
Sell old vid card, $40? x700pro and I have an offer of $20 for an fx5500

Total income $335

New mobo $150 (seems high though)
New CPU $150
New video 150
New ram $100

Total out go $550
Deduct what I sold, I get $215 left over.
May 15, 2007 5:21:35 PM

Quote:
Ok, you 2, this is what I see.

Sell chip for $175. Seems to be lowest price.
Sell Mobo for $25
Sell memory for $75? 4 sticks of 512
Sell old vid card, $40? x700pro and I have an offer of $20 for an fx5500

Total income $335

New mobo $150 (seems high though)
New CPU $150
New video 150
New ram $100

Total out go $550
Deduct what I sold, I get $215 left over.

Don't forget eBays cut of the 335. Won't be much, but at least you'll be able to make the buyer pay the cost of shipping.

I believe your 75 for your ram might be a bit optomistic, but I have seen stranger things sell for more.

Still trying to figure out where you are 215 to the good.

Math goes as follows

Orginal 200 + ebay 335 - 550 for parts = -15

Once again this doesn't include eBay fees nor does it take into account how many times you may have to list the item before it actually sells. Which can be a pain if you have no or little feedback, and if you have no selling feedback. Mutiple lists will incur multiple listing fees, as eBay gets paid regardless if you sell or not.

If you don't have the money to fully upgrade, which you are short 350 by your estimates, best to decide to suck it up and just upgrade THEN try and sell your old stuff for as much as possible to recoup what you put out or just add what you need now that will give you the time you need to get the money up to upgrade your system correctly.

Also, don't forget a PSU, and get a good one. Bad ones seem to take more than themself out when they decide to die.
May 15, 2007 5:31:06 PM

Good point about ebays cut and paypals also.

I am not 215 to the good, but short. But I did say I have $200 i am willing to spend.

Plus the hassle. New AGP card is looking mighty easy on the wallet and effort.
May 15, 2007 5:34:49 PM

OP would want to be quick getting a 939 board if the plan is to get one simply because theyre getting harder and harder to find, id recommend an ASRock939 dual sata 2 board, simply because it has a PCI-Express slot as well as an AGP one so you can upgrade easily to a non AGP GPU also i dont know how hard it is to get now but there was an AM2 duaghterboard upgrade for it too and of course its SATA 2, i have one, its a good board to bridge the AGP/PCI-E issue

Otherwise get an Intel Core 2 CPU and ASRock 775 board, it will allow you to use your AGP card and of course also has a PCI-E slot

Those boards are also cheap as chips and i could get an easy 20% overclock without changing much with an amd 4200+
May 15, 2007 5:50:22 PM

Quote:
Well my, you're ignorant. Considering I just sold MY Fx-55 proc (OEM) for $270 online and I've seen them for going for over a grand...tells me that you don't know what you're talking about.

Clearly JonnyDough knows his shit and can sell ice to an Eskimo... either that, or he's forgot that it's 2007.
May 15, 2007 10:45:38 PM

I also bid on 3 FX-55 processors last week, at about $150. I didn't win any of them. Again I find people on Tom's forums speaking out of speculation. I won't discount anyone's life experiences, or share mine. I realize that the FX-55 is single core, but it's probably THE fastest single core you can buy. It STILL beats out many dual cores in many applications. It's STILL one of the fastest 939 procs you can buy, and it's rare. Check out FX-60 prices. You guys act like you know what you're talking about but you don't. If there are willing buyers, then he can make a profit. Oh, and I already mentioned EBay fees. Maybe your guys' problem is that you can't READ.
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2007 11:35:39 PM

Quote:
Well my, you're ignorant. Considering I just sold MY Fx-55 proc (OEM) for $270 online and I've seen them for going for over a grand...tells me that you don't know what you're talking about.

Clearly JonnyDough knows his **** and can sell ice to an Eskimo... either that, or he's forgot that it's 2007.

:lol:  Yeah no kidding.
May 15, 2007 11:52:09 PM

I know, rite? I mean, I backup what I'm saying...and they just speculate. WTF?
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2007 12:07:07 AM

I think if anything the (op) should keep his fx cpu.
You are right that those cpu,s are the fastest singlecore out there.

But i think he should get a s939 mobo with a pci-e slot and not
an agp slot.

He said something about a 7800gs for 120$ in agp.
I would get a s939 mobo with pci-e and a 7600gt in pci-e.

They are about the same price but he would have the chance
for an upgrade to dualcore cpu and have pci-e capabilities.

The 7800gs and 76gt are close in performance anyway.

No way in hell would i buy a used fx amd cpu from ebay
or anywhere for 250 to 300 bucks.
May 16, 2007 12:49:05 AM

I have an Asus A8N5X, I'm not using it anymore, it's a very good board, I stopped using it cause I "won" (purchase bundle) an E6300 from intel, so I'm now using the new chip (started yesterday 05/14!!!) had that chip since october, but just now bought the memory DDR2 800, was waiting for prices to come down. Anyways let me know if you interested!!!

e-mail me @ lmatos1978@yahoo.com
c ya

E6300
P5N-E SLI
BFG 7900GT
(2X1gig corsair XMS2 6400)
May 16, 2007 2:12:20 AM

Decisions, decisions. They're really up to him. I would buy an FX-55 processor if I couldn't find an Opteron 185 for $330 on the Egg and I had PC3500 or PC4000 ram that was rare and extremely fast, like the Corsair I used to own, and a top of the line mobo. But only then to complete a system to be used with a specific single-thread application, like maybe on Linux. Other than that no way. I sold my A8N-32 SLI Deluxe mobo as well. I'm going to fill out my mATX lan system with that Opty 185 or maybe a 180 (dual core - 2.6ghz and 2.4ghz, respectively) and an 8800GTS, probably the 640 version. This will eventually go to Vista. I've got 4 gigs of Corsair XMS ram, although the 2 sets are slightly different. For about $600 bucks coming from my old main 939 system I'm going to have a really nice compact system. This P4 2.2ghz with an X1650XT PCI-E card is still up for sale if anyone is interested. It's a good little system and you can upgrade the processor for about $50 to a 3.0 or 3.4 and have a good gaming system.
a b K Overclocking
May 17, 2007 2:49:14 AM

Quote:
I also bid on 3 FX-55 processors last week, at about $150. I didn't win any of them. Again I find people on Tom's forums speaking out of speculation. I won't discount anyone's life experiences, or share mine. I realize that the FX-55 is single core, but it's probably THE fastest single core you can buy. It STILL beats out many dual cores in many applications. It's STILL one of the fastest 939 procs you can buy, and it's rare. Check out FX-60 prices.

I have a friend who is currently running a FX 57 (which is the fastest unlocked 939 CPU) w/SLI 7800 GTX (OC'd) and does VERY well gaming with his rig. He gave $811.00 last year for that FX in April I think and we seen that processor go down to $299.00 for retail at Newegg, Directron and Tigerdirect at various times late last year. Now look what they are going for.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__AMD_Athlon_64_FX_57_Processor,__9728762

http://computers.search.ebay.com/fx57_CPUs-for-Desktop-PC_W0QQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfgtpZQQfposZQ5AIPQ2fPostalQQfromZR2QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQlopgZQQsacatZ3671QQsadisZ200QQsaprchiZQQsaprcloZQQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ2QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZbs

This probably does not help our friend in need but it shows that his processor is nothing to turn your nose up at either. The FX 57 has an unlocked multiplier, not sure about the 55 thou, it might have as well. They do OC pretty good, nothing like the newer CPUs from both camps now thou. Just my $0.02 worth.
May 17, 2007 4:05:56 AM

The FX-55 and FX-57 both OC well and trade blows depending on the application. For single threaded applications on socket 939 they just can't be beat and they're STILL faster than many of the dual cores. There's only about 10-15 newer processors that can beat them, and they keep up well. The only thing matching them for 939 is the FX-60, the X2-4800+ and the Opteron 185 and those are dual cores. He can get $300 for an FX-55 on EBay, the prices have come down a little though in the last few weeks.
!