installing PS/2 mouse

Bruce

zI hope someone can help me here.
A friend has an old pII IBM with a serial mouse and I was going to exchange
it for a better wheel mouse. it started okay but would not see the mouse It
kept doing that I went into settings and enabled the onboard mouse. soon as
entered password it said searching for hardware & then rebooted. They were
on different IRQs 3 & 12. In device manager it only showed the serial mouse.
The OS is windows 98 and I only worked with XP.
Thanks for any help
Bruce

<follow-up set to win98.gen_discussion>

Hi Bruce,

You'd be better off asking this in a Win98 group, but here are some
suggestions:

1) Ensure that the port it is attached to is enabled in the system BIOS.

2) Boot the system into Safe mode (hold the <ctrl> key down when the system
first begins to load Windows), open device manager and remove all listings
from under the mouse branch. Then restart the system, autodetection should
pick up the new mouse (provided the port is enabled, hence step #1) and
prompt for the drivers.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/