Criminal89

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
As everone knows the X2900XT is out. I have looked over and read through many reviews and I can say that AMD/ATI has a good product at hand. I think with improved drivers, the performance of the cards will be greatly improved. But, I have noticed the image quality of the X2900XT though not bad, is not quiet up to par with Nvidia's line of 8800's. The images in this particular review seem to show that the X2900XT image quality is not even up to par with the X1950XTX when it comes to how clear the images produced look. I am just curious if everyone thinks that the newer drivers will fix the image quality issues, as well as the performance issues? Either way, I think AMD/ATI have a nice card for people to look at versus Nvidia.

X2900XT Image Quality

Thoughts?

As everone knows the X2900XT is out. I have looked over and read through many reviews and I can say that AMD/ATI has a good product at hand. I think with improved drivers, the performance of the cards will be greatly improved. But, I have noticed the image quality of the X2900XT though not bad, is not quiet up to par with Nvidia's line of 8800's. The images in this particular review seem to show that the X2900XT image quality is not even up to par with the X1950XTX when it comes to how clear the images produced look.

Did you even read the review? Doesn't seem like it.

Can you explain to me how you come to the conclusion that the X1950XT has better IQ? There is the same algo, and better hardware on the HD2K, I don't see anywhere in that review that they say the X1950 has better IQ.

I am just curious if everyone thinks that the newer drivers will fix the image quality issues, as well as the performance issues? Either way, I think AMD/ATI have a nice card for people to look at versus Nvidia.

AF quality won't change, it's a function of the hardware where there is slight angle bias at the 45s, but much better than befor and much better than the default on the X1950s (which have the HQ as an option). Understand that most testing on the nV's is run at default, and not the HQ you see there, turn the AF to HQ and you see the framerates drop with the GTS and XT often swapping places where before the GTS was ahead;
http://www.ixbt.com/video3/r600-part3-d.shtml#p18

To look at the differences between the modes look at the tech report;
http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2007q2/radeon-hd-2900xt/index.x?pg=5

Most reviews have to look real hard at static images to see differences. This isn't like the old issues which were visible while playng the games.

The GF80 is better there is no doubt, but most people aren't see noticeable enough differences without going into detail, and considering the performance penalty I think they're running pretty equal considering what the default is for both.