XP Pro 64bit blue screen of death at install

jedynygucio

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Dear All,

I just tried to install XP Pro x64 on my Dell XPS 720 PC. After it loads all the drivers, it crashes with a blue screen, giving me an error message:
STOP: 0x0000007BG (0xFFFFFADF90A323C0, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000) or something similar.
I tried to reset my BIOS to factory defaults, which screwed it up entirely and now I have to reinstall my original operating system (same, just 32bit) too, though I worried because the setup doesn't seem to recognise the entire size of my hard drive, or the other partitions. It gave me a BAD PBR as I tried to boot normally.
I had my hard drive partitioned with Norton Partition Magic, maybe this caused it?
Please can you advise how to fix this!
AJS

spindiggy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Hello,

You need to make sure that you have your bios set to sata / ata instead of raid /achi or whatever unless you are using raid. I had this problem when installing xp x64 on my dell xps 400. You'll also need to have your motherboard chipset drivers on a floppy or you'll have to add them to a custom install disk using nlite otherwise you'll never get it installed.

I'm running xp pro x64 now. It's not bad once you get past the driver issues. I installed it only for gaming but I mostly only play cod4. There isn't much software that works with it such as anti virus but antivir is free and uses little resources.

Chris

Lyciansky

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I have an XPS 720 H2C and was getting the bsod on installing Win XP. I removed ram, but also I noticed that there are TWO (2) drivers that are required after hitting F6. After both drivers loaded, windows XP installed fine. One is the nvraid driver itself and the other is for nvidia's mediastorage driver. This is for a single 750gb drive (non-raid).

Also, on the XPS 720(The H2C at least) there is no setting in the bios that sets SATA/ATA over RAID/ACHI. The options for each sata drive is On, Off, and RAID ON.

Late reply, but I hope it helps others...

Also, on the XPS 720(The H2C at least) there is no setting in the bios that sets SATA/ATA over RAID/ACHI. The options for each sata drive is On, Off, and RAID ON.

The ON option = SATA / ATA and RAID ON obviously = RAID / ACHI. Dell uses these settings in quite a few of their PCs.

rrussnog

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Hello everyone,

Lyciansky,
I have an XPS 720 H2C with 4 Gigs of RAM and I'm getting the BSOD when installing Win XP Pro with STOP: 0x0000007B. I tried getting the drivers for nVraid and nvidia's mediastorage drivers per your post but I must be using the wrong drivers. Would you happen to have the links for these drivers or can give me an idea where to find them?

I didn't remove the RAM because when I install Windows Media Home Edition it works just fine. I did Dell's extensive diagnostic from the CD that came with the computer and everything passed. So this tells me that hardware is not an issue.

If I can just get the right drivers needed to get past the BSOD I believe I can finish the install.

Any help from anyone is very much appreciated!!

apoloni

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
For some reason Symantec doesn't make it very clear that PartitionMagic will only properly operate on drives of 300GB or less. Using PM on my XPS 720 with 1TB Hitachi RAID drives caused me a 3-week ordeal after PM boogered up the MBR and I then had to rebuild the system from scratch.

If you want software to use to create/manage your hard drives that will handle drives larger than 300GB you want to use something *OTHER* than PartitionMagic (Acronis Disk Director is a good choice which I use instead). At this point PartitionMagic is not a current product (v8.05) and should be avoided ... SYMANTEC, UPDATE YOUR PRODUCT OR KILL IT OFF!!!

ridoykhan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009

Dear sir,

Can you pls tell me from where i can get the two drivers to install XP in a vista designed laptop.and how to process the installation?

silverron

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
Did you do a clean install? When moving from 32 bit to 64 bit, it is best to perform full clean install and best on new or clean drive.

Keep moving forward!

:bounce:

G

This solution worked perfectly. It was not the easiest thing to find a floppy drive and cable in the stores. I found the drivers and put them on the floppy and the install continued normally. Thank you for your great tip!

John Sommo, Jr.
jsommojr@hotmail.com