Sign in with
Your question

Geeksquad.... friend or foe..... How to know??

Last response: in Toms Network
April 18, 2008 7:50:06 AM

I would like to start a Geeksquad Q&A for those out there who might have questions. Maybe about their experience with an Agent. How to know if you have the right Agent for your problem? Knowing little things like asking for the senior agent, or asking for the DCI (with is the supervisor). Usually the senior agent does the most tech work at the bench. Though a DCI will handle the most difficult problems at a Geeksquad Precinct. If you have any problems at a Geeksquad bench you should first ask for the "DCI". This should be the person whom with care the most about your problem and making you happy at the end of the day. If you have problems with the DCI you should ask for the services manager. Even if you have to wait or come back to talk to them directly. A services manager can authorize "free" work to make you happy if it applies in your particular case. If you continue to have a problem which you feel need resolution you can call 1800bestbuy and escalate your issue to a corporate level. If you have been wronged in any way, they can make an offer of resolution over the phone. Which basically gets everyone at the store in trouble, up to and including termination.

Hope I can be of help to anyone who takes time to read what I type.....000OOOO

AgentQuag

More about : geeksquad friend foe

April 18, 2008 8:13:52 AM

I know these guys intend to do a good job and for the most part Im sure they do. I am so glad that I am not at the mercy of depending on any service from any company for technical issues.

I was in line waiting to ask an agent a question (he couldnt get a date so I was wondering if that gave him super technology powers ;)  ) I was sent there by a best buy rep to see if they had a serial port adapter and I overheard the conversation between the agent and the young couple.

For the masses of customers, they have absolutely no clue. I didnt get the jest of the overall problem but towards the end of the conversation I heard them ask for a memory upgrade and they were charged 29.99 for the installation plus the cost of the ram.

Fair enough, geek squad is a business and I understand they are in it for the money, who isnt? But, this made me cringe to know it cost that much to open the pack of ram, undo 2 screws and snap in 1 or 2 sticks of ram and put the door back on. <5 minutes worth of work.

Ok, so theres my rant for the day.

Im sure most of the members here that need geek squads service will really appreciate your post and I can admire your time and effort in doing so...
April 18, 2008 8:36:38 AM

I am an I.T. troop in the air force and work on the exchange and active directory team. Our local best buy's geek squad is made up mostly of air force I.T. troops working there part time. This is good and it's bad... This leads me to conclude that to work at geek squad you need absolutely no certification whatsoever and that they will higher anyone with random computer experience. I say this because the people that work in the geek squad of our local best buy don't touch the systems day to day like we do, they are the folks that do the paperwork and make the briefings for the boss and what not.

But it can be a good thing in that they are at least relatively level headed and can troubleshoot in a relavent order.

I refuse to use geek squad for 2 reasons. 1. I am generally more educated and more experienced than their technicians. 2. I refuse to pay the prices, which have no bearing on the technicians as they work for the big box giant.
Related resources
April 18, 2008 8:39:28 AM

On a side note though... this is a hardware enthusiast forum... you aren't going to find very many people that need help from the geek squad. For my grandma... they rule all because when I go to visit I dont' have to fix her silly computer issues.
April 18, 2008 12:02:38 PM

If it's any consolation to those complaining about bestbuy not requiring IT certification in order to work at geek squad, I have applied for a position as a geek squad agent on several occasions and I can assure you that they will not hire me.
I've never thought that job would actually require certification though, I think most gurus on these forums could perform the duties of that job, certified or not.

It wouldn't be the best choice for a certified tech to get a job at bestbuy, demand for them is pretty high so there are much better jobs out there for them(at least in my area,US CA).
April 27, 2008 3:07:41 AM

I was given the impression from fellow techies that Geek Squad are just a buch of posers who front and act like they know technical things, but when it really comes down to specifics they flaunter
April 27, 2008 3:44:43 AM

The fact that to work for Geek Squad doesn't even require A+ certification, I would never recommend them to friends or family. Then again, as boonality pointed out, most of us forum members are our own "Geek Squad".
April 27, 2008 4:38:41 AM

B****es don't know about mah G(eek)-Skillz~
April 29, 2008 4:37:01 AM

I had a Geek Squad Agent argue with me that the ATI 3870,was faster than a 8800GTS G92 512mb card...and then he went on to brag about his Gateway with its Phenom,and 4 gigs of ram...what a loser!!!
April 29, 2008 4:54:11 AM

Geek squad, ha ha ha.
April 29, 2008 5:31:25 AM

Quote:
I had a Geek Squad Agent argue with me that the ATI 3870,was faster than a 8800GTS G92 512mb card...and then he went on to brag about his Gateway with its Phenom,and 4 gigs of ram...what a loser!!!

That's almost as awesome as when I had a geek squad guy tell me a few years back, that his 6800 Ultras in SLI were far superior to my single 7900 GT. I really just had to walk away...

Anyway, bestbuy can sometimes have some good deals for the educated consumer, but geek squad isn't one of them.
April 29, 2008 5:32:57 AM

my 7900gs pwnzors the 9800gtx triple sli'ed
April 29, 2008 6:35:51 AM

My 386 will run circles around your QX9770. And I only have 1mb of ram beeyotch!!
April 29, 2008 7:25:09 AM

Come on we aren't all that bad lol. I am one of the Geeks and I think some people have bad experiences just like any other company out there with bad apples. The group I work with all take their job serious and we work hard to get things done. Im pursuing a career in IT and I wanted this on my resume that I at least show some interest in Technology.

There is alot of paper work but that is not where our job stops. There is new work and old work. New work is new laptops or desktops that are being optimized and setup for the customer. Old work is the work that more experienced techs get involved in.

Anyone with a decent knowledge in computers will always think that paying for computer services is a rip. The one thing that we should all realize is that there are a lot of people who do not even know if a motherboard needs 4 or 8 wooden screws. Or what a motherboard is for that matter. Not saying that those people are exploited. Just think about mechanics, electronic repairmen, home theater installers, everyone charges a good penny. Because they do something you do not know how to do or would rather have some one else do.

Not ranting or trying to argue just my opinion. The one thing that does piss me off is the countless "do it yourself" projects we get in that have gone horribly wrong..whoever thought running spliced wires out of a power supply was smart isnt too bright lol.

Anyway just thought I drop by and add a few logs to the fire j/k lol.
April 29, 2008 8:14:50 AM

To each their own I suppose. Someone that I work with here is ecstatic about their $1,900 build with a phenom quad, 4GB of memory and crossfired 3870's. I spent $1,200 and got a Q6600, 8GB of memory and an 8800GTS G92. There's no way I could ever prove to him, no matter the benchmark... that he spent $700 more than I did for the same if not slightly worse performance than I got.

Anyway back to the geek squad. There's always going to be that individual technician that shines but the problem is this...

Best Buy charges a premium for the worst service imaginable. You can go give the same labor charges to the locally owned shop down the road and not only will they treat you better, they will also give you better equipment and advice. But then again there are always the bad apple crooked mother F****** computer shops too.
August 7, 2008 6:19:10 PM

geek squad prices are rediculous... whenever i'm at best buy i like to joke and be like... '' i'll fix it for half that price !" lol.

anyhow, last experience w\ them, my wifes laptop was doing pretty bad so we took it there to have them repair it and the guy helping us was typing w\ his two index fingers while looking at the keyboar... I LOL'd. Then they kept the computer for about a month telling us on 2-3 occasions that parts were on order and we'd be called... then they called and said we could get an exchange which started a whoel other problem in that her $1300 laptop w\ $300+ warranty plan could only be exchanged for an $1100 laptop w\ us needing to then buy a new warranty plan, the balance disappearing...

eventually we found in the fine print that we could get cash / gift card exchange for price of the laptop which we did...

But... anyhow... if you want to pay $300 for the geek squad to take programs out of your startup and run a virus scan... go nuts ( a woman i work with did this and then brought me her computer to do some other stuff )

i will admin though, nobody at best buy has been as bad as a guy at frys who was acting like he knew everything and insisted in telling me that a 54mbps wireless router would be a bottleneck to my internet connection and that i'd only be getting a small portion of the speed i'd get w\ a 108mbps.... LOL noobs, i swear
August 7, 2008 7:30:14 PM

Zombie thread is a zombie...
September 29, 2008 8:24:31 PM

Bringing up the dead once more...

Ask them this:

What the difference between PCI-X and PCI-E?

If they tell you they are the same... go somewhere else!!!

October 3, 2008 12:39:34 AM

The Problem with Geek Squad is lack off Quality Control among staff.
The non-technical folks who need geek squad will not be able to tell the difference between the majority that are clueless and the few that are good.

A former Co-Worker of mine was a Geek Squad guy part-time and he knew his stuff. However, he would tell me horror stories about how bad he saw co-workers trash a customers system so that it was in far worse shape heading out than in.

I don't see the point to requiring certifications, they are bogus for the most part. They don't prove a thing.........or at least not enough that I would trust my PC to somebody with an A+ or similar cert.

Your best bet is to ask around among friends to try and find a hard-core geek. They will hook you up better than best buy. Or at least help ensure GeekSquad does not take you for a ride.
October 17, 2008 2:59:35 AM

lol@geek squad
November 14, 2008 12:31:34 PM

DarthPiggie said:
I was given the impression from fellow techies that Geek Squad are just a buch of posers who front and act like they know technical things, but when it really comes down to specifics they flaunter

Ok I HAVE to put in my two cents here. I currently work at best buy but not at geeksquad. I am borderline geek in my own right. I just put together my own computer, I troubleshoot all of my problems by myself and I am the type of person who talks to EVERYONE and makes nice with everyone, so I now have a few personal friends at geeksquad, and I know and have talked to every person who works at our particular counter (precinct).

I chose this quote to respond to even though there were plenty more I would have liked to respond to. This is very very true, for a very very select few. There are a few members of our geeksquad that can do the simple things, that most customers need. Geek Squad is really designed for the softcore casual customer, the ones who DON"T know how, or Don't feel comfortable installing their own ram. Yah it's not a 30 dollar procedure, but if you know how to do it you won't be asking for that particular service.

The majority of the guys who work at our counter really do know their ****. They will talk your ear off about everything all day long if you wanted. They are true hardcore tech guys, and they really DO know the nitty gritty of computers, hardware, and for the most part software.

In response to Kellytm3. geeksquad is still made up of people, and people are still fanboys. So I ask all of you to not judge based on one experience. OP is right, if you need to ask for someone else, because guarenteed at least one guy really knows his ****.

My point is, if you know how to do stuff yourself. Geeksquad isn't made for you. If you don't know how or aren't comfortable doing things, then geeksquad is made for you.
November 14, 2008 12:38:20 PM

itadakimasu said:
geek squad prices are rediculous... whenever i'm at best buy i like to joke and be like... '' i'll fix it for half that price !" lol.

anyhow, last experience w\ them, my wifes laptop was doing pretty bad so we took it there to have them repair it and the guy helping us was typing w\ his two index fingers while looking at the keyboar... I LOL'd. Then they kept the computer for about a month telling us on 2-3 occasions that parts were on order and we'd be called... then they called and said we could get an exchange which started a whoel other problem in that her $1300 laptop w\ $300+ warranty plan could only be exchanged for an $1100 laptop w\ us needing to then buy a new warranty plan, the balance disappearing...

eventually we found in the fine print that we could get cash / gift card exchange for price of the laptop which we did...

But... anyhow... if you want to pay $300 for the geek squad to take programs out of your startup and run a virus scan... go nuts ( a woman i work with did this and then brought me her computer to do some other stuff )

i will admin though, nobody at best buy has been as bad as a guy at frys who was acting like he knew everything and insisted in telling me that a 54mbps wireless router would be a bottleneck to my internet connection and that i'd only be getting a small portion of the speed i'd get w\ a 108mbps.... LOL noobs, i swear

I gotta respond to this one too. Our newest plans that cost anywhere near to 300 are all inclusive, it's called Geek Squad Black Tie Protection. I know you probably already think geeksquad is a joke, but give them a chance to tell you about the advanced laptop plan it's pretty slick. I wouldn't waste my money with optimization either.

The reason you were only offered the exchange for 1100 is because when you do an exchange like that you are exchanging for "TECHNOLOGY" you get the closest comparible model, price is not a comparison factor. As we all know prices on technology goes down pretty quickly, so yah.
Anonymous
December 7, 2008 11:09:24 AM

I have to add my Geek Squad story. I live in NC and my sister lives in NJ. I was back in NJ a few years ago at Christmas and my sister asked me to take a look at her computer since itwas running slow. It needed a lot of work and she only had dial-up at the time so I told her i'd take it home, fix it and ship it back. When she got it back it was obvious that UPS had dropped the box. She hooked it up but it didn't power up. Since works next to Best Buy and took it to the Geek Squad. They said it was "completely runined" and would need to be replaced. She shipped it back to me so I could recover her files. Within 2 minutes I had it back up and running. When it was dropped the processor came loose from the socket. After reinstalling it, everything worked fine.

Grumpy
December 30, 2008 1:06:52 PM

kellytm3 said:

Well I have both cards and the 3870 even max overclocked still can not beat my BFG 8800gts 512mb 9G92) card.

you mean worst buy, LOL> :bounce: 
December 31, 2008 5:19:44 PM

This Zombie thread won't die.

side note: Geek Squad is a joke but they help those people that the rest of us don't want to deal with so props to them.
March 11, 2009 6:05:08 AM

Geek squad people know little knowledge, they are mainly salesman.
March 11, 2009 7:16:21 AM

Best Buy can be slick so BEWARE! Keep that extended warranty in safe keeping because records of an extended warranty can mysteriously DISAPPEAR. I held on to mine, but can you just imagine if I hadn't. I'm telling you a real truth here. The Geeks are for the most part, WAY DUMB, and they get, NO STARS.
March 19, 2009 4:46:46 AM

I don't use Geek Squad, for obvious reasons (I don't need to), but don't knock their prices... Fact is that halfway decent computer techs cost at least $25 an hour. Best Buy pays benefits etc on top of that, plus has the expense of the store and all the downtime when there is no customer to pay for the techie's time.

The same applies to local computer stores. They simply do not get enough business to be able to charge what Newegg charges or to have the range of stock that Newegg has.

On the flip side, you can walk out with what they have that suits you and they will give you free advice on how well various bits work together (although how good that advice is will vary).

For us, Newegg rules (although Sams Club has good prices on LCDs and Best Buy pretty much matches Newegg on some common items such as hard drives). However, the rest of the world needs people like Geek Squad if only to appreciate just how wonderful we are.

Still, if we were to include the time spent at $25 an hour (and that is the family rate) when building our own computer, I think it would easily add a few hundred to the cost (not just the assembly time... there's the research, the ordering stuff on-line, the possibility of an RMA, the assembly, the software installation and then the optimisation).

Suddenly places like Cyberpower (who basically do it all for you) or Dell (if you are willing to accept their lousy opinion of what components should be included) start to sound much more reasonable.
March 19, 2009 5:22:33 AM

I'm not referring to Best Buy's prices, but rather their dishonesty.
March 19, 2009 6:02:12 PM

wiesbadengera said:
I'm not referring to Best Buy's prices, but rather their dishonesty.

I got a replacement camera battery from them when the old one started failing and we did not need to show the extended warranty.

They are a huge company and mistakes happen, but I have not seen evidence that they have poor corporate standards. On the other Circuit City (and, in the UK, Dixons) were notorious for salesmen pushing overpriced crap because they worked on commission. Heck, Circuit City's 25% off liquidation prices were higher than Best Buy in many cases (and higher than their own prices before they went bust)... Good riddance to them although I hope that this encourages Best Buy to provide more components etc rather than to rest on their laurels.
!