• No

Votes: 22 88.0%
  • What warranty?

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters

maguszxz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I am building a computer in the next few months and I was wondering on the warrenties for parts. I usually buy them for computers and stuff but what about the parts. Just need some input.

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
no parts come with warranties already whats the point in buying an extra one besides if something goes wrong it will more than likely happen in the first few days in which time newegg will replace anyway so there is no point really

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You aren't actually buying anything, you're just giving them money, most of the time.

You buy a retail-boxed processor, it comes with a 3-year warranty. Most hard drives also come with 3-year warranties. Motherboards, depending on the manufacturer, come with 1-year or 3-year warranties. Some graphics cards come with lifetime warranties, but the typical warranty is 3-years.

So, you pay Newegg to extend THEIR warranty and you get zero benefit.

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
At my local store I buy warrenty. It's about 6.8% more (since I only pay 6% tax to begin with it's not much) and that's for 2 years extra and if anything goes wrong ie: vid card goes, you just bring it in, they toss it in a system, see what happened, then give you a new one. No send away for RMA or anything. And the replacement they give you is new.

When I build systems to sell I always get this, the piece of mind is worth it completly rather then having to worry about any down time with you customers and then freaking at you and having to deal with that!

I am building a computer in the next few months and I was wondering on the warrenties for parts. I usually buy them for computers and stuff but what about the parts. Just need some input.

New parts come with warranties. What you are buying is a faster and more convenient policy.

I always assess the importance of the part, cost of replacement, and likelihood of failure before natural course replacement. (and knowledge of the equipment)

For something with a large cost of replacement, say a laptop, i recomend it since there are many thing on a laptop that fail and cost more then the policy. A LCD TV i would as well since there is a high cost of replacement, and my knowledge of repair is limited.

For something like a hard drive, I dont bother to pay the extra 10 bucks.

Individual parts for a desktop machines have a low replacement cost and good manufacturer warranty, and quick replacement times.

If the question is: Should I spend 300$ on a replacement plan for my 3500 TV? Then. .... Yes for sure.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
At my local store I buy warrenty. It's about 6.8% more (since I only pay 6% tax to begin with it's not much) and that's for 2 years extra and if anything goes wrong ie: vid card goes, you just bring it in, they toss it in a system, see what happened, then give you a new one. No send away for RMA or anything. And the replacement they give you is new.

When I build systems to sell I always get this, the piece of mind is worth it completly rather then having to worry about any down time with you customers and then freaking at you and having to deal with that!

You are the kind of person they want. That is how they make money. Sorry.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

You are the kind of person they want. That is how they make money. Sorry.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

Well here's something to consider, if the aprt dies outside Manuf. warranty, are you going to want to replace it with the same part. Personally I know by then I'd probably rather have the faster equivalent that is out. Kind of like having an x850 die today, would you want a replacement x850 (for free) or a new better video card(price - warranty cost)?

techieman1977

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
Depends on the item and the cost. I use to require my customers to buy the extended warranties on LCDs. Then again exp. on the older LCD screens it was worth it. I do not know how many times I had to tell a customer not to throw away the box there LCD came in. When LCD's were first hittin the market it was a policy you must return it in the original box. Also on laptops its very Dependant on the use. For example if you have allot of children you may want to get the breakage warranty.

Now on components its a different story that really depends on if you have income to purchase a replacement while your item is getting repaired. Allot of companies are not offering a direct swap . They send you a new one if you don't return the broken one they charge you for the new one.

You can not class warranties into buy or not buy. It really depends on the item and your personal preferrance.

Circuit City use to offer a little extra on there warranties atleast on the Audio equipment./ TVs. If you buy there warrant and decide to upgrade you unit if it fail you get full credit. However they never really test to see if its not working. On some items even if its not broken :oops: you could get the full value.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

I usually only pay for extra warranties if i get a complete system. If i choose parts for a system i build myself, i tend to look at the manufacturers warranty and decide whether it´s worth it or not. For hdds for example i almost always stick to Seagate thanks to their 5 year warranty - the price difference between their and other hdds is neglectable and thus the warranty is worth it.
If i build something really cheap, i go really cheap and take no warranty at all - go ebay!

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Certainly not. As someone previously stated, most manufacturers (if not all) offer a warranty on their products... 1 year is typical, but some components such as hard drives go up to 3 years or more.

If you've ever bought a TV/laptop at a store like BestBuy, think back to how hard that salesperson pushed you towards that extended warranty. Did he have your best interest in mind? Nope... he'd get a commission for that warranty sale... why? Because they'd probably make more off the warranty than the actual sale. Just my opinion.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Lol none said yes :) I think you don't need longer warranties if the parts comes with 1-3 years warranty already. Anyways from the time your warranty finishes you will have changed those parts already for better/faster ones.

Hah, you don't even get a LONGER warranty. You get a REDUNDANT warranty. If you have a one year warranty and buy a one year warranty, you now have two concurrent one year warranties. The one you didn't pay extra for is from the manufacturer.