Vista PC sees other LAN'd computers, but cannot connect to internet

boppacesagain08

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I have a home network consisting of ASDL coming into a Speedstream modem, going into a Linksys wrt54g router. I have ethernet cables running from this computer (XP) to my computer (recently upgraded from XP to vista). Originally, the vista could not see any networks, even with the ethernet plugged in. I then installed the latest drivers for my network card, and now it sees my home network, and I can see all the shared files on the XP from the Vista. In my Network and Sharing Center thing, I have green lines both to the "gateway" and to the internet. However, the internet is not working on the Vista for whatever reason. I can't even navigate to my router's homepage (http://192.168.1.1/). I also downloaded the latest firmware for the router and installed that to no avail. I'm sure there's a simple reason for this happening I just don't know why, and help would be very appreciated.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
There is a peer to peer patch that you have to put on the xp machine that will fix telephony issues between the two because vista is different from xp. The account names need to be identical on both or, all PCs and turn off password sharing on the vista unless you want that of course. I set a office network up yesterday and went through all this and was succesfull. There was one xp machine and one vista machine and I had to share out the printers and what not. The xp machine didn't have any service packs on it though which made it tak alot longer...

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Seems like a software problem to me. Try disabling and proxy setting you have in your browser and disabling any firewalls. The best way to eliminate the possibility of software preventing your connection is to reboot to Safe Mode with Networking and try to connect then.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Seems like a software problem to me. Try disabling and proxy setting you have in your browser and disabling any firewalls. The best way to eliminate the possibility of software preventing your connection is to reboot to Safe Mode with Networking and try to connect then.

boppacesagain08

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I have all my firewalls turned off, still no look even accessing the router page, though. I have entered in all the IP /DNS info manually under my IPv4 connection properties, but still no luck. I was going to just reinstall xp on this machine and reformat, but I'm getting a new vista machine in like a month, and I don't see what would be different with that, so I really need to solve the problem now.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006

Again you also need to enable netbios name resolution of tcip as well ,and should have service pack 2 on the xp machine that matters if you don't already that will stop you and install the damn peer to peer patch man so, THey can communicate. I hate people that don't listen. I listened to all this stuff in my adventure and went right through all these steps and had no issue. Once you do get this setup, all these steps, then you will have to give it 5 - 15 minutes for everything to be finished "for everything to kick in" this is not instant as you would think.

boppacesagain08

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I don't really want to go through and add new accounts to all the computers in my house. I don't really care if I can't access other computers on the network's files and such, I never use that. Really I just need my internet back badly. Reverting this pc back to xp would not be a tragedy for me. I am leaving for college in the fall, and I know that the new PC I build (vista) will work fine there. However, I should have the new PC at this house for a few months before I leave, and I imagine I will have the same problems trying to connect to the internet. If I stuck a wireless card in the new desktop would it have any problems then? My friend brought over a vista laptop and had no problems connecting to my network wirelessly.

jeffdawgfan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
I would check your firewall settings in Vista. Are they set on maximum?? thus blocking out all internet access. Also you may be having issues with Vista's firewall fighting with your firewall in your speedstream modem. Some routers need to be re-booted (installed) after Vista. When I installed Vista (from xp) I had to hook up computer straight to modem, then after all updates complete I re-installed the router.

boppacesagain08

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I connected my PC directly to my modem. Set up a Broadband connection thing, typed in my ID and password to connect to my ISP. Dialed in and said everything was connected. Firefox, IE, and AIM all still incapable of finding anything. What the hell.

boppacesagain08

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I know there's a way to do this wired, but I'm becoming very frustrated. I know my friend had a Vista laptop and hopped on my wireless network just fine. Any chance a simple PCI wireless card or usb-wireless stick could solve all my problems cheap?

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
that's definitely worth a shot. Even running the setup cd for one of those devices may reset all the settings for you.

Really weird. Never had any problems plugging in a network device. I would get on the phone with your ISP. Go back to the setup where it is plugged in directly to you modem and give them a call.

I'll bet it is something simple like the caps lock being on when you type your password or something. (not being mean, but double check everything).

My favorite story is from qwest --- (i know longer have them) -- but since I had my own modem they did the setup on the phone. they said the first letter of your last name, then my full first name would be my password.

10 frustrating hours later it turns out they spelled "benjamin"-> "benjerman"

yadnom

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
Can you get to the internet with any other computers that are hooked up to that linksys router?

It could be a problem with the set up of the router and the ISP info. I had to help set one of these up for a friend. PC connected to router, router was connected to DSL modem. In their setup guide, it had different options and one was asking for what type of connection. He picked DSL caused thats what he had, and it asked him for ISP info as well. Just use the cable option, if I remember correctly, instead of DSL in the setup since router shouldn't have to re-authenticate with ISP. Thats already being handled by the DSL modem.

Oh yea, when he tried setting it up, he had same problem. Unable to connect to internet.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Yandom has good advice, so did RoadRunner, reseting modem and router should be first things you do. Power off router and modem, turn on modem for 2 minutes before turning on router.

And please tell us IP. I had a router stop working a few months ago where it stopped giving me an adress on the private network and I was also unable to connect to the router's address. When I did an ipconfig, my address was 168.something instead of on the private 192.168.adress scheme that routers usually use.