mishima

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2007
I was having problems with my Windows Xp for the past month. So today i decided to make a partition of my hd, copy all my docs to it and format the windows partition.

I did the long format option, but when it goes to instal Xp these two messages appear

Can anyone tell whats the problem?

Thanks

mishima

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2007
Found the source of the problem.

The Xp install disk is a bit scratched and my Pc dvd reader was unable to read it properly.

So i clean it the disk a bit and tried with a old external dvd reader.

It worked.

mafadecay

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
Well done. I was about to say that one or more of your setup files are missing or can't be read by the IO device (Your reader).

Now you have it up and running may I suggest you burn yourself another copy of XP as next time you might not be so lucky with your install disk. You already have the licence (I presume) so effectivly you would just be making a backup copy which is perfectly legal. If your CD will not copy then I would try and download a version from a file sharing network. Make sure your Antivirus is installed, up to date and working though. You can download an ISO image that your burning software will just burn straight to disk. Remember to make it bootable and have you ever considered slipstreaming. This is where you add windows updates, patches, fixes, software etc to your windows install cd so the next time you install XP things such as service pack 2, IE 7, flash player and the hotfixes install at the same time. Saves all that extra time rebooting and hassle installing them after.

I had a recent post on here regarding slipstreaming IE7 and was pointed in the direction of a free open source program that lets you do just this. Check it out at http://hfslip.org/ Program is called HF Slip

mishima

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2007
Thanks for the tips.

I sure will copy my Xp disc.

I was also thinking of using ghost to make a iso of my Hd after i install everything.

A friend of mine does that all the time. He is always renewing is Xp every 6 months.

Again thanks for the tips.