Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU use

Tags:
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
Share
September 13, 2010 1:14:54 AM

I am a recent convert to Linux and I am running Ubuntu I changed over because in windows everything was so dam slow on this old PC and it was using all the memory up (I do intend to upgrade soon)
I found that even on Ubuntu its not as quick as I would have thought and I found a utility that is called system monitor.
With nothing running at all other than the system monitor my Dual core is reading way high both cores graphing over 80% up and down from about 40% is this normal...what are they doing?

More about : cpu

September 13, 2010 1:22:40 AM

Check the processes tab (it's called something like that). Find out what is sucking all your CPU time.
September 13, 2010 2:43:53 AM

I just had a look at the processes .
With the browser running now (this window only)
Gnome 10% nothing else
but the graph shows both cores hitting up to 100%
Related resources
September 13, 2010 6:22:02 PM

Which version of Ubuntu have you loaded? There was a rather interesting problem with one of the older versions which could cause this...
September 13, 2010 8:10:44 PM

Well I thought once that linux was supposed to be very light on hardware and everything until I installed it...Gnome takes almost as much as windows XP does...and KDE chews double that if not more. From what I learned it depends a lot on the distro and the desktop manager. Some distros come with preloaded software that run in the background while others come with just the basics. So to power KDE/Gnome IMO you need some power.
September 14, 2010 1:37:58 AM

XFCE and LXDE should run a lot faster and they'll take a lot less memory.

Check 'em out http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options

Ubuntu's got XFCE and LXDE versions too although the gnome version is the most polished one.

Can you post your full specs please?

Semper Fi :) 
September 14, 2010 1:38:18 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
Well I thought once that linux was supposed to be very light on hardware and everything until I installed it...Gnome takes almost as much as windows XP does...and KDE chews double that if not more. From what I learned it depends a lot on the distro and the desktop manager. Some distros come with preloaded software that run in the background while others come with just the basics. So to power KDE/Gnome IMO you need some power.


Linux itself does run very light. My server running Ubuntu Server is never above 1% on the CPU :D  The desktop manager is to blame, but that's not technically Linux :) 
September 14, 2010 1:43:31 AM

audiovoodoo said:
Which version of Ubuntu have you loaded? There was a rather interesting problem with one of the older versions which could cause this...


Ubuntu
Release 10.04
Kernel Linux 2.6.32-24 generic
GNOME 2.30.2

Hardware
Memory 2GB
Processor :0 Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz
Processor :1 Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz
September 14, 2010 1:45:05 AM

That's true the gui's to blame for most of it. The kernel's able to boot in about 1.3 seconds flat by itself and can run on an embedded device with 64MB and a 400MHz CPU.

It's probably the gui that's causing all the trouble you're having.

Good luck :) 
September 14, 2010 1:47:49 AM

1Raven50 said:
Ubuntu
Release 10.04
Kernel Linux 2.6.32-24 generic
GNOME 2.30.2

Hardware
Memory 2GB
Processor :0 Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz
Processor :1 Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz



Give fedora's XFCE and LXDE spins a try http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options or grab a copy of Xubuntu [ it's ubuntu with XFCE ].

And make sure you've turned off the fancy gui effects in preferences the 3d desktop stuff's going to kill your pc.

Semper Fi :) 
September 14, 2010 1:50:17 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
Well I thought once that linux was supposed to be very light on hardware and everything until I installed it...Gnome takes almost as much as windows XP does...and KDE chews double that if not more. From what I learned it depends a lot on the distro and the desktop manager. Some distros come with preloaded software that run in the background while others come with just the basics. So to power KDE/Gnome IMO you need some power.


Well I guess its ok then that its using 100% of both processors most of the time.
It was just that I looked in the processes tab and the percentage was vertually nothingl but graphing way up high sometimes stuck both on 100% for ages
September 14, 2010 1:54:51 AM

linux_0 said:
XFCE and LXDE should run a lot faster and they'll take a lot less memory.

Check 'em out http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options

Ubuntu's got XFCE and LXDE versions too although the gnome version is the most polished one.

Can you post your full specs please?

Semper Fi :) 


Thank you I will take a look at that. I really like the feel of Ubuntu and I am getting used to it.
My current computer is:- self built system about 5 years old that is constantly slow and running out of memory in windows so changed to Ubuntu. Mobo GA-81915MD-GV Award Bios. Pentimum4 dual core Processor 3.00Ghz Socket 775
2GB DDR2 memory. GeForce 8500GT 512 MB graphics card Belkin 802.11g wireless internet Hard disk Seagate SATA 320GB and Western Digital SATA 150 GB Pioneer CDROM Display is either SyncMaster 920N or HannsG JG191D
September 14, 2010 3:07:34 AM

It's possible that you don't have hardware 3d rendering enabled, causing high cpu usage while you are using a desktop like Gnome. Can you run the following command in a terminal window:
glxinfo | grep rendering

You should get "direct rendering: Yes" if it is enabled. If it says No, then you need to take a look at the video drivers used and the xorg.conf file.
September 14, 2010 4:10:51 AM

meradz said:
It's possible that you don't have hardware 3d rendering enabled, causing high cpu usage while you are using a desktop like Gnome. Can you run the following command in a terminal window:
glxinfo | grep rendering

You should get "direct rendering: Yes" if it is enabled. If it says No, then you need to take a look at the video drivers used and the xorg.conf file.



Thank you for your response...I had to install the glxinfo but when I did it said yes.

Just looking again now ...with this window open and nothing else running except system monitor the processes page shows Gnome 16%
Firefox bin 6%
and
Compiz 6%
Everything else is zero
on the Resources page the Both CPU's are 99 to 100%

This does not seem right, but things seem still to be working I can surf I can view photos and lots of other stuff.
October 7, 2010 3:20:31 PM

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm having the same problem with Ubuntu 10.04 on my Toshiba A200 laptop.
It has intel core 2 duo T7250 --- 2GHz processor and both run at 100% load.
The processes show almost nothing just like the OP had mentioned.
I was unable to get the ATI drivers setup properly [I've got ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600].
That could have been the problem.
I'm new to Linux and don't have any idea how to install drivers :( 

Hope someone can solve the problem here.
!