Virtual memory minimum too low

Good morning.

I'd be grateful for some help....

I use a Pentium 2 procesor, with a total of 20gbs of memory for storage.

I had various things open on my computer today (2 or 3 internet sites open,
Photoshop Elements 2, and maybe Outlook Express as well?) A message came up
sayding 'virtual memory minimum too low', and the computer said it would take
time to sort this out, & whilst doing so, some things might not be accessible
etc.... I just closed down all the open stuff.

I have quite a lot of memory 'working' memory allocated to Photoshop.
Should I not leave this programe open when doing other things?

How serious is it when this message comes up?

This must be a very basic question - I did try and search here but couldn't
find info - & I'd be very grateful for some enlightenment!

Thanks.
Canna.

map

Canna W wrote:
> Good morning.
>
> I'd be grateful for some help....
>
> I use a Pentium 2 procesor, with a total of 20gbs of memory for
> storage.
>
> I had various things open on my computer today (2 or 3 internet sites
> open, Photoshop Elements 2, and maybe Outlook Express as well?) A
> message came up sayding 'virtual memory minimum too low', and the
> computer said it would take time to sort this out, & whilst doing so,
> some things might not be accessible etc.... I just closed down all
> the open stuff.
>
> I have quite a lot of memory 'working' memory allocated to Photoshop.
> Should I not leave this programe open when doing other things?
>
> How serious is it when this message comes up?
>
> This must be a very basic question - I did try and search here but
> couldn't find info - & I'd be very grateful for some enlightenment!
>
> Thanks.
> Canna.

Heres some reading for you
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
> How serious is it when this message comes up?
It's not serious at all "windows" would have enlarged your pagefile if you
gave it some time before you closed your applications,you might consider
increasing your pagefile through to advoid this message in the future,the
above link will tell you how to do this.
--
Mike Pawlak

Hi Canna,

The 20GB is the amount of hard drive space you have, not the amount of
memory installed. The amount of installed ram (memory) can usually be seen
on the general tab of system properties (right click "My Computer" and
select properties).

Low virtual memory can have several causes. The first may simply be that you
have a small amount of ram installed (like 128 or 256) and are excessively
paging. This can frequently happen in programs that work with media files
(like Photoshop).

Other possiblities include manual manipulation of the pagefile settings
resulting in an upper size limit that is too small, and the installation of
an older version of Intel's application accelerator.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Canna W" <CannaW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good morning.
>
> I'd be grateful for some help....
>
> I use a Pentium 2 procesor, with a total of 20gbs of memory for storage.
>
> I had various things open on my computer today (2 or 3 internet sites
> open,
> Photoshop Elements 2, and maybe Outlook Express as well?) A message came
> up
> sayding 'virtual memory minimum too low', and the computer said it would
> take
> time to sort this out, & whilst doing so, some things might not be
> accessible
> etc.... I just closed down all the open stuff.
>
> I have quite a lot of memory 'working' memory allocated to Photoshop.
> Should I not leave this programe open when doing other things?
>
> How serious is it when this message comes up?
>
> This must be a very basic question - I did try and search here but
> couldn't
> find info - & I'd be very grateful for some enlightenment!
>
> Thanks.
> Canna.

Jim

"Canna W" <CannaW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good morning.
>
> I'd be grateful for some help....
>
> I use a Pentium 2 procesor, with a total of 20gbs of memory for storage.
>
> I had various things open on my computer today (2 or 3 internet sites
open,
> Photoshop Elements 2, and maybe Outlook Express as well?) A message came
up
> sayding 'virtual memory minimum too low', and the computer said it would
take
> time to sort this out, & whilst doing so, some things might not be
accessible
> etc.... I just closed down all the open stuff.
Most likely your pagefile is too small. Let the system manage the size.

> I have quite a lot of memory 'working' memory allocated to Photoshop.
> Should I not leave this programe open when doing other things?
Try shutting down PS, It is a memory hog of the first order.
Jim

Hi folk,

Just a quick note to thank you all very much for you help - very useful. I
learn't a few things.

Mike Pawlak (MAP)

I was unable to rate your post as helpful (the man in the machine wouldn't
let me) - but it was extremely helpful!

Thanks again.

Best wishes,
Canna.

hi can someone help me i keep getting this virual memory too low what do i
need to do and i also keep getting low disks space help please help me tell
me what to do to fix my computer
--
Wakonda