Sign in with
Your question

Streaming Media with Ubuntu Server

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
September 15, 2010 3:45:19 AM

I finally got my home server set up. The storage is temporary at this point in time (just threw a spare 500GB drive I had laying around in there until I can afford proper drives), but it's still running and serving it's purpose. I transferred all my music and video on to said server, and now I'm looking for a way to listen/watch these files. Right now I've set up Subsonic for listening to music, but it isn't quite what I'm wanting, and I've run into some issues, so I'd prefer for this to be a temporary solution.

I'm wanting to find a way to access the music files from a regular old media application, nothing web-based like Subsonic. I like Rhythmbox, but I don't think it's capable of doing this. Anyways, that just kind of shows you what kind of interface I like. I'm flexible, but I just want something that will display all the music, and let me play whatever I want, preferably a search as well.

As for the video, I really have no way of viewing it set up at this point in time. Any suggestions are welcome. Considering just using VLC, but I don't quite know how to set that all up (I'm sure Google would explain that though :D ).

Anyways, just looking for some suggestions, as Google has failed me.

Thanks,

- Jesse
September 15, 2010 11:58:17 AM

I'd say VLC. I'd think it to be more platform compatible and from what I've heard, it sounds pretty cool. You really just need to setup a VLC media server, then connect it somehow... (I remember doing something along these lines in 2007)
September 15, 2010 1:50:40 PM

Thanks for the reply. Really I'm just wondering how to go about connecting to the VLC server. I don't like VLC for playing music, so I'd need to find something else...
September 15, 2010 7:28:49 PM

You could use MPlayer I believe.
!