Is this REALLY my OS?

AdamDBurns

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Hello,Im having a bit of a problem with a second hand netbook i bought, its a sahara imagebook 10wcs.
most seems to be working fine and its a great little machine but theres no drivers for the wireless internet, 3g and the webcam, ive been searching absolultly everywhere aND I cant find anything. which brings me onto the fact that its go a acer aspire one linpus interface on a sahara notebook? is this the wrong os for this machine, is this why i cant find the drivers?...
lots of help appreciated! :)

I can't find much information on the unit online apart from very general specs (Atom CPU, 160 GB HDD.) Some netbooks did ship with a Linux-based OS and it wouldn't be beyond the pale for a little-known maker to release one without everything working as far as drivers are concerned. Linux drivers are almost all included in the kernel, meaning you upgrade or get new drivers by installing a newer version of the OS. I'd suggest trying something like Ubuntu Netbook Edition to see if things work. That particular version can run from a CD drive or USB stick, so you can try it and see what works before installing it to the hard drive.

Good luck!

Adam - What version of Linux are you running at the moment on this machine? I spotted your other thread re XP installation, for that a google will find you all the drivers you need.

I'm suspecting you are running Linupus, not the best supported of Linux versions. I strongly suspect that Ubuntu 10.04 will run fine for you. It won't be lightning fast but I've had it running in far less and found it quite usable. Try the live CD (you can make it into a live USB install with Unetbootin, same with most other Linux CD's) and see.