dman_31

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Hello,
i want to install 2000 on a laptop i upgraded to xp.Need the earlier version for some programs at work.Not sure how to get started.My boss keeps asking where my laptop is.HELP!

1. But Windows 2000 disk.

2. Put disk in CD drive and boot from it.

3. Follow on-screen instructions.

What's any of this got to do with your boss asking where the laptop is? Or are you saying that this is a company laptop and you have messed with it against company rules?

ocing

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I have a few old crunchers still running win2k. I recently did a successful windows update on one of them. It had been a while since last update but it didn't need a massive amount of new updates. Then I tried updating a second win2k comp and it did NOT work. For that comp the time since last update was much longer.

What I'm saying is, you might not be able to get up to speed on windows updates from a fresh install of win2k any more. From what I could see microsoft apparently only provides limited updates for them at this point.

So you could re-install it but it could happen that you can't update it at all.

Anyone here recently done a fresh install of win2k? Does it update?

Try this in WinXP: right-click on the application icon/file and choose properties. Then select the Compatibility tab. There you'll see a drop-down box with different versions of Windows. Select Windows 2000 in that. There are a few other compatibility options there too like disabling XP themes. I don't know if that will make your win2k specific apps work correctly, but worth a try.

ocing

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I'm updating my previous reply. FYI: I made another attempt at updating the win2k system that I mentioned which did not successfully update previously and this time it did update successfully. The only difference between this time and the previous time was that I put the date/time to the correct date/time on the system.

During the previous update attempts, the update site showed a message suggesting how I can update WinXP. It sounded like it was "politely" telling me that it won't update win2k (I tried more than once and same message each time). It was odd and also odd that simply correcting the date/time apparently fixed it.

So anyway, just want you to have the correct information on this.

Cheers

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011

Last summer I bought a Gateway with Windows 2000 and because of it's performance, I saw no reason to upgrade to XP and left it with Win2k at SP1. Within the first two days of using it, I kept getting pestered with updates. I found this strange as support for Win2k ended just a year ago (Keep in mind this was July of 2011). Yet I still updated constantly and it now runs SP4 and I haven't been bothered to update in months.

Microsoft might still allow you to update upon a fresh install, but if not, there are other options. Such as unofficial service packs and bundles of legitimate updates.

Yes, a fresh install of Windows 2000 updates OK from the Microsoft site. You have to run through a few hoops as Windows Update doesn't work with the version of IE on an original Windows 2000 install disk. Easiest way is to download SP4 from Microsoft, install that and then it all works fine. You'll get a load of updates, but I doubt that any of them are particularly recent.

I really used to love Windows 2000. The best version of NT, IMO. Small and lean, easy on resources, and did what you wanted. Unfortunately more and more stuff doesn't work with it.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Many programs I use still support Windows 2000 so I still rely on it for minimal programming and web processing. Right now, it's the perfect OS for classic computing such as DOS gaming while still being supported by most major programs.

However, in a few years it will just be a footprint in NT history.