How do i install XP on Vista Laptop??

feddy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
Hi can anyone pls help me... i bought an HP laptop model no. 6516TX about 7 months ago...it came with Vista ... however i'm not very happy with vista and i would like to revert back to XP ... i tried installing a fresh copy of XP ...but when i click on "Instal XP" after the option of "Click ENTER to install XP" comes, i get a message saying i dont have any harddrive installed..................i tried looking for solutions but coudlnt find any....i didnt know it was this difficult to simply install XP after having Vista..........

Appreciate any help..thnx

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Vista is really decent. Change your start menu and control panel to classic mode, also turn off User Account Control in Control panel under user accounts, that should help. However, if your dead set on installing XP, what you will need to do most likely is to put your disc in, restart, and then on the first screen you see there is usually a key it tells you to hit for boot menu. Which on most is F12 I think. If it does not give you this option, hit whatever it tells you to hit to enter setup, then change your boot order so that the cd rom is first, note you'll need to change this back later, after setup makes your machine restart, otherwise you'll get stuck in a loop. Then you need to tell it to boot from the CD. Once you do, you'll probably want to delete all your partitions, create a new one, then format it, and install XP. However, you will probably have driver issues as drivers for XP are going to be older than Vista drivers, and if your laptop came with Vista, I don't know if you'll have issues or not. Just keep that in mind, maybe look up drivers for your hardware before you do it and save them on a flash drive or something. Otherwise, if you are not sure what your doing, you might be in for a bumpy ride. I don't know how much you do or don't know about computers. But that should get you started anyway.