Apr 28, 2008
I am having blue screens of death everywhere on my windows vista 64 basic

my system....
bfg 9800 GX2
4 gigs of 1333 mhz ram
Quad core 2.66
x-fi fatal1ty
750 gig harddrive hitachi or whatever

anyways, bsod EVERYWHERE, Defragging, restarting, games, desktop, its hard not to sit down at this kickass system and dread the bsod crashes.

All, and i mean all of my drivers are up-to-date, my vista 64 is up to date.

But guess what, this might be found funny

I did download the 4 gigs of ram patch http://www.microsoft.com/downloads [...] laylang=en

validated my registry bluh bluh bluh, when I go to click on the patch, windows says this exaclty when trying to install the windows 64 4 gigs of memory patch "The update does not apply to your system"
WTF?? lol
I never installed it before
MAJOR HELP IS NEEDED PLEASE

spos108

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
I also installed SP1 with only TWO gigs of ram, after installing SP1 and several other updates we shut it down and applied the other two gigs of ram, BTW:: I have the EVGA 790i Ultra motherboard.

The only problem id have to say to fix my problem is, this patch needs installed... but it says the update doesnt apply to your system which is rather screwed up since i know 100% that i am running vista 64 basic, and that the patch im TRYING to install is also a patch for Vista's 64 4 gigs of memory patch.

My ram is fine and working properly, vista 64 just hates me having 4 gigs of ram, and i would like to keep 4 gigs because i also game. Like COD4 and crysis, again please help me to a solution.

validated my registry bluh bluh bluh, when I go to click on the patch, windows says this exaclty when trying to install the windows 64 4 gigs of memory patch "The update does not apply to your system"
WTF?? lol
I never installed it before
MAJOR HELP IS NEEDED PLEASE

Only some hardware configs need that patch! Just because you have 4 gigs and Vista does not mean that you need it. Yours probably does not. If you read the MS page where you DL the patch you will see they are pretty specific about who needs it and who doesn't.

You probably need to make an adjustment to your RAM speed/timings/voltage - all of which might need some tweaking when you fill all four of your RAM slots.

Either that or test each stick of RAM individually. Perhaps you got a bad stick.

Please post your detailed specs here and we can be of more help. Motherboard make/model and RAM make/model 4 x 1 gig or 2 x 2 gig?
Tell us what voltage your RAM is currently set to in the BIOS also.

spos108

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
haven't gotten to the BIOS yet but i have 4 gigs of DDR3 2 gigs of ram on 2 individual sticks

2 sticks 4 gigs

the motherboard picked them up right away, its 1333 mhz

what should my settings be then in my bios.

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
You don't need the patch, vista 64 can handle the 4 gigs with no problems at all. I'm running 8Gb of ram on my system. It's telling you its doesn't apply because its for Vista 32 versions.

First thing you want to do is download a copy of Memtest+86 and burn it to disk and run that to find out if any of your memory is bad.

If they all pass increase the voltage for the ram in your motherboard BIOS. What brand memory are you using?

Spos - Use Memtest to make sure the modules work individually/in pairs. If so, and I suspect this will be the case, then I'd be willing to bet it's a physical issue with the mobo not being able to drive all 4 DIMMS on the automatic settings...

(1) MANUALLY set all timings to the manufacturer's certified. MANUALLY set the voltages to the max (or near max) of the manufacturer's rating. Manually set tRFC to 54 or greater, and ensure the command rate is set to 2T.

If that works, then consider lowering the voltage - still staying in the recommended range.

If that doesn't work: (2) Bump the voltage to the North Bridge by one setting, and try again. So if the NB voltage is 1.3 then bump it to 1.31, or whatever the next higher setting is.

If that still doesn't work (3) Relax your timings a notch: For example, if your RAM is 4-4-4-12, then try 5-5-5-15.

In my case, I have 8GB of 800 Mhz OCZ Reapers at 4-4-4-12, 2T, 2.05volts. tRFC is 54. FSB is set to 1.33v, partly for memory and partly since I'm running it at 1600Mhz instead of 1066. There was no need to loosen timings on my setup. Your Mileage probably Will Vary.

Regarding the patch you tried to install - That applies to certain memory controllers. If you don't have one of the suspect models, then the update doesn't apply to your system.

Shodar

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006

I dont think that anyone here can tell you what to set your BIOS RAM settings to until you tell us the brand and model of the RAM you have. You could have 1,000gigs of RAM, but it wouldnt matter on quantity if 1) the Ram is low quality and/or not fully compatible with the motherboard, and 2) the ram timings are not setup properly in the BIOS.

--Shodar